Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi INFJs,

This is strictly for your type. This is to get you think about yourself. I was wondering (and you can just answer the questions you want):

(1) if you feel a walking contradiction, and why.
(2) how is it that you are able to predict the future? Is it based on small physical cues or is it something more?
(3) What do you think about and how do you feel like when the world is coming together and makes sense, and you are on the top of it?
(4) How to get you to disclose the deeper aspects of yourself which you keep secret?
(5) How can people better relate to you?
(6) How do you better relate to yourself? What strategies do you use to keep you sane?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi ENFPs,

This is strictly for your type. This is to get you think about yourself. I was wondering (and you can just answer the questions you want):

(1) why do a lot of you go through different phases in life? What is consistent about it?
(2) what methods do you employ to calm your mind and get into a groove? How does it feel like when your mind gets all scattered and chaotic with a flight of ideas?
(3) What do you think about and how do you feel like when the world is coming together and makes sense, and you are on the top of it?
(4) How do you think the world can get better?
(6) How do you better relate to yourself? What strategies do you use to keep you sane?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi ENFJs,

(1) how is it like to lose your identity sometimes and get caught up in what people are doing? How do you ground your identity?
(2) how do you employ your bird's eye view and ability to see the bigger picture to help others?
(4) Why do you feel lonely even when you are with people?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ISTJs,

(1) How does it feel/what is your state of mind like when you have a strong sense of duty? What makes you want to carry things out?
(2) how does it feel like when you can't say no to work being given to you? how do you say no? how do you avoid being taken advantage of?
(4) How do you bring out your inner eccentricity/risk-taker/spontaneous nature?

·
Registered
478 Posts
  1. if you feel a walking contradiction, and why.
    I don't feel like a walking contradiction since I feel that living with what people may perceive as inconsistencies and following my own reasoning, which can be seen contradictory because we factor in so many perspectives in our decision gives me a sense of integrity.
  2. how is it that you are able to predict the future? Is it based on small physical cues or is it something more?
    I think i predict the future based on the flow of events preceding, it constitutes as a gut feeling that needs to be translated into human language, though not always a smooth thing. We predict ebs and flows in people best, it comes from the ability to enter your mental/emotional spectrum and understand intentions/motivations clearly, so it can feel like we're always at least one step ahead of what you're saying, thinking and feeling.
  3. What do you think about and how do you feel like when the world is coming together and makes sense, and you are on the top of it?
    Absolutely nothing thought wise and immense and exuding sense of calm. I'm just acting completely in the moment and feel like I make no wrong choices. I'm also especially nice without realising, which people keep pointing out to me. Being excited, enthusiastic and happy aren't there when I feel this way.
  4. How to get you to disclose the deeper aspects of yourself which you keep secret?
    Complicated, to some extent understanding and care is needed but beyond that there's also what we expect of your response, if we don't like what we think we'll hear, we won't say anything. It's mostly because we hate platitudes/minimalisation/patronisation/unhealthy emotions etc., a bit perfectionism and probably most of all, we're used to people talking about themselves after opening up even a little. More often than not we just want to be heard and have our feelings validated and not have advice offered unless the other person has gone through something similar on the internal level.
  5. How can people better relate to you?
    For me, it's been in authenticity, being yourself around us lets us be ourselves. This usually means a lack of social conformity and saying what is true for you in the moment regardless of what other would think. Letting go of that social mask.
  6. How do you better relate to yourself? What strategies do you use to keep you sane?
    I spend a lot of time musing about how I feel myself, towards people and life in general and try to balance it with levels of analytical thought and empathy. Excess in any leads to detriments in my sense of balance. Lack of empathy makes me less nice, lack of my own emotions leads me into meaninglessness and without the ability to rationalise I can't find direction for me or anyone else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ISFJs,

(1) I notice a number of you do not like your type description. What aspect of the ISFJ do you think the description does not convey?
(2) what drives you to task completion? How do you keep others from piling work on you?
(4) How can I get you to express your inner feelings and know the conflicts you may feel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi ESTJs,

(1) how does your more emotional side express itself?
(2) what advice would like give to others in order to live a healthy, productive life?
(4) How do you develop the hidden and personal aspects of yourself?
(5) How can people better relate to you? How should people communicate with you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi ESJFs

(1) how do you nerd out in your spare time?
(2) why are you so responsible? what state of mind are you in when you are dutiful?
(4) How can you figure out when your actions are unethical or unjustifiable? I know usually ESFJs have a strong value system.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Hi INFJs,

(2) how is it that you are able to predict the future? Is it based on small physical cues or is it something more?
(4) How to get you to disclose the deeper aspects of yourself which you keep secret?
(1) yes, not sure
(2) I cannot predict the future. humanity is one organism. perceive clues which tell me
(3) rest, calm.
(4) if I make you feel safe, so do I.
(5) depend on me for my strengths.
(6) having someone who wants to hear me, depending on someone who cares about me.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
(1) How does it feel/what is your state of mind like when you have a strong sense of duty? What makes you want to carry things out?
To me, it's not nearly as noble as "strong sense of duty" makes it sound. It's more about doing what needs to be done to survive. There may have been a time when physical survival was the goal, and that more or less still applies when we're charged with the protection of our more helpless clan/family/inner circle members. However, today "survival" usually has more of an economic connotation to it. People often say that SJs "enjoy" menial, thoughtless tasks. That's hogwash. We don't enjoy them any more than anyone else. However, we ARE more willing to do them when necessary to survive (economic or otherwise). Safety and stability are at the forefront for us... it's better to take on whatever task is required, no matter how inconvenient or unpleasant it may be, than risk losing what we've already attained.

(2) how does it feel like when you can't say no to work being given to you? how do you say no? how do you avoid being taken advantage of?
Initially, it doesn't feel like anything. It's just normal... what we expect of ourselves, and others, and there is no sense whatsoever that we're being taken advantage of. When you do realize that the other lazy sacks of crap around you are not pulling their weight, you still tend to be proud of your own work ethic and carry on, but eventually you tire of it.

The response I adopted long ago when asked to take something else on is this: "I already have A, B & C on my plate and I will finish them all by next Friday. Adding D will add another week. If you want to change the priorities, fine, let me know NOW, but it will still take the same amount of time to complete them all. YOU decide what order you want them in or if you need to reassign any of it." In this way, I'm not refusing to do the work, but I'm also giving them realistic expectations that can be met without killing myself.

In general, I tend to work between 45 and 50 hours a week, and I'm absolutely fine with that. If something truly extraordinary comes up that no one could have predicted or prepared for, I will do all-nighters if necessary, or put in the occasional 60 or 70 hour week. However, I will not do that for sustained periods and I will not ever work on weekends. My family knows this and that they can count on me to be around on weekends, always.

I'm not sure I've ever felt that. There's always another problem to solve.

Ha ha, you think you're funny, don't you.:rolleyes::dry::happy:

These may sound like semantics, but:
  • Don't ask me how I 'feel' about something... ask me what I 'think' about it.
  • Don't ask me how I would 'feel' in a particular situation... ask me what I would 'do' that situation.
It's not that don't have feelings or that I wish to suppress them. It's just that my feelings are more like the idiot lights on the dashboard that let me know that something needs to be fixed. The indicator light itself is meaningless and I have neither the need, desire nor vocabulary to discuss the nuances of the indicator light. I am more than willing to discuss what caused the light to come on and how to fix it, but there is nothing worthwhile to be gained by discussing the damned idiot. It's has no intrinsic meaning outside the context of the underlying issue.

The other important thing to keep in mind is that we are not as opposed to change as most folks assume we are. However, we ARE cautious about it... we're big on looking before we leap. Sometimes, that takes time. If you propose something new to us, explain what problem it addresses and why you think your proposal will help that problem. Then give us some time to analyze it logically. If it makes sense and carries no undo risk, we can be big supporters and be very helpful in the implementation of your idea. If we agree on the problem but not the solution, we will offer suggestions or work with you to find alternate solutions that pose less of a risk. The only time you can truly expect us to flatly reject change is if you do not allow us that due diligence period to analyze the proposal. We would consider that a reckless, unsafe action and will reject it... not because we think it's a bad idea, but because we have not had the opportunity to verify that it's a good one.

I have a very strong need/desire to learn new things. Allowing myself to continue that process keeps me sane and satisfied.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,575 Posts
Yes, I do. I've concluded that it has to do with being aware of paradoxes. So I guess it's not truly a contradiction then.

I can't predict the future. I can give you my own projection of it - the more data I have, the more accurate it will probably be.

Genuine care, genuine interest and at least a desire to understand (better if you have the ability to understand as well).

It's just something that either naturally happens or doesn't. The above qualities help. Sometimes it's just not possible and the person has to actually experience something before they can.

Listening to music to feel and release feelings, writing poetry, talking and listening to other people etc.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

Other ppl may see me so but I don't

It's very logical. I read a person and based on this understanding I may predict how he/she would act or react in matters such as finance, career, interpersonal relationship, and self improvement/health.

(3) How do you feel like when the world is coming together and makes sense, and you are on the top of it?

The world is pretty interesting because of ppl. I am not on top of anything but on the side watching, apparently INFJ's preferred position at parties.

I have to vet you out, like you, and trust you.

Just be polite and respectful. I don't like having my arms twisted by ppl.

I try to be self aware like a Fi user. If not, my mental and emotional state may veer off course.

To keep sane I look at the world at large, not at myself. Once I am not the center of universe, it's much easier to feel normal and able to relate to everyone else.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi INFJs,

. 1) different people perceive me differently, which gets me confused. I'm weak and passive to one woman. I'm strong and assertive to another man. I'm prudish and lesbianish to a few people, bc I "never talk about guys." I''m too sexually aggressive to the few people that I do open up too. I'm too private and secretive to some people, but then too heavy and overwhelming with my feelings to others. What exactly am I supposed to be then? I guess im just complex and have too many layers? 2) images come to my head, and then they sometimes turn out to be true. I think, "yeah, I saw that coming." Little cues here and there can help. 3) I try my best to help it whes and be happy. Self care is important, bc I get lost in worrying about others. 4) I have revealed myself under pressure and nosy questions, but that just made me resentful. I need to be around a Non judgmental and mellow person. 5) i connect with people on a friendly level. I respond to warm, engaging and fun people that know how to engage. 6) writing, venting, expressing...music...:)

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's only through reading about MBTI that I've found reference to having a "strong sense of duty". I suppose this is how others view it, but I never really saw it as duty. I believe you should take responsibility for yourself and your actions and that you should stay true to your word. If I see something as being my responsibility or if I have previously agreed to do something then I will do that thing. I'm not sure it's a dutiful thing as much as a need to maintain my personal integrity for myself. I guess that sounds self-righteous (it probably is!) but I operate under this principle. It's the just and honourable way to be and I would find it difficult to respect myself if I didn't at least try to be that way. I would be very unforgiving to myself if I didn't make the effort to be 'fulfill duties' to the people I cared about for example. I would feel unworthy for the things they would do for me.

I take the approach that if someone gives you a job to do, it's because they want you to do it - either because they think you're the best person for the job or because it's part of your job description in the first place or similar. It's not really about saying 'no', it's just kind of the way it is.

When it gets too much I do much the same as @jcal above. I explain that I have A+B+C to deal with etc and that if you want me to do D as well, something will have to slide to fit it in. I'm not superhuman so don't expect miracles. If I think you're taking advantage on purpose, your job will automatically go to the back of the queue, although this is more the case with people that demand that you do their job immediately and expect to you to drop everything. Seriously, if it's so important, do it yourself. If you think I have something extra to offer, then surely it's worth waiting a little longer for.

I'm not really sure I can think of an example on this one. When something starts coming together, it gets pushed towards the background and subconsciously monitored while I focus on the next thing to fix or improve. It's a cyclic process so you never really hit the top because something else will come along for you to focus on.

Any eccentricity I have tends to be of the atypical British type which, as a Brit, makes me pretty non-eccentric in the grand scheme of things. I don't bring it out really. You might get the odd one liner, and if you walked into my home you'd probably think it was a little eccentric, but it isn't 'brought out'. I probably just like quirky things - they make me curious!

There is no inner risk-taker. And my idea of spontaneous is having a free Saturday afternoon and deciding that morning that I'll use it to go shopping.

By gaining my trust by being consistently genuine and then asking me suitable questions to get to know me better. By suitable I mean ask things that you genuinely want to know the answers to. I'm pretty good at spotting when someone is being genuine or not and I don't tend to entertain those that aren't. I take people for what they are and work with that. I suppose I kind of expect for others to do the same.

Patience is key as I'm unlikely to open up quickly.

By frequently analysing and looking for self-improvement. Understanding personality typing better has helped in this area. I tend to keep sane by making sure there's always something in the future to focus on. I find planning therapeutic and it gives me a sense of moving forward.

While I don't outwardly look the most active of people, if I spend too long without doing something productive (which can often be an introverted thought process rather than a physical action) it gets me down.

Reactions: Tips

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

Sometimes. Others are always giving me compliments, but I'm not good at accepting any of them.

I used to think that it was a matter of having so many, many things drifting through my head at once (that it would seem like coincidence to have one of them manifest themselves in real-time).
Most times, I think it is just sub-conscious observations (along the lines of a particular busy intersection full of cars and seeing a lot of close calls). All of the small details we've processed suddenly tell us, "This spot is an accident waiting to happen".

Relieved for the fact that I trusted the laws of karma and balance, and the idea that "all things happen for a reason".
It might take months to see the opposite end of a stressful situation, and to have a moment of clarity to see that having Person A go to Place B allowed Person B to get to do this ____, and that this allowed Person C to finally get to accomplish this ____, etc.
Hindsight can be very soothing. :proud:

Very rarely (this forum is the place to do so at least 90% of the time).
I often feel like I'm annoying others with my viewpoints (or that I'm not on the same page as anyone around me), so my deepest thoughts go out to one or two co-workers, and the rest to about 45 of you here in the forum.

When they need to laugh, be cheered up, or feel appreciated, they will come to me. They can go to anyone, but I must come across as more sincere or natural (that's the only way I can do it). Sometimes, being there so often can put me in the role of a counselor (which can drain my batteries down if it goes on and on all day).

I try not to look at the big picture if things are in a depressing mode. I feel better at limiting myself to the next five days ahead and keeping the stress level down.
I try to accept compliments, try to reward myself with a day at the beach, or let myself leave work 10 minutes earlier than usual, but (in most cases), I still find myself doing less for myself and more for others. Sometimes, I can catch myself, and change course. :happy:

The weight of loneliness eases a lot when I'm reading, writing, drawing or daydreaming (I can often spend three hours thinking about what I'm wanting to draw, and I still consider it to be quality time).
I still haven't determined whether or not it has kept me sane. I've been of the mind that (being an INFJ) maybe I'm not. :laughing:

·
Registered
140 Posts

My state of mind in having a sense of duty is being given a task or tasks and expected to complete said task(s) and if I don't do it or do it wrong, then I'll likely beat myself up over it or blame external causes. I've had employers fire me because I was incompetent in certain job related tasks. Well I felt as though I wasn't provided enough details on how to do the job right the first time! Often times it makes me not wish to pursue further time spent on the job/task at hand.

Often times I have trouble saying no so I just say "I will see what I can do for you" and get around to it when I have time. I am forever juggling tasks and re-prioritizing. I just try to take it one thing at a time and see each thing I need to get done to completion then move on from there. I mean I did grow up being told what to do in school with all the assignments and if I didn't do what I was told, it would reflect badly on my grades and of course my parents wouldn't be happy. Sometimes I do get stressed because I have trouble saying no to people.

The world is far too complicated IMO to really make sense of it all. Its taken me this long to figure myself out, forget the world filled with different people from various backgrounds and viewpoints.

I weigh the pros and cons of something then select the best option based on my knowledge and real world facts. I've never been a big risk taker. I am the "better safe than sorry" type for the most part.

Often times people are unable to relate to me except maybe fellow introverts.

I like to go on nature walks/hikes and I keep myself occupied with my work, Youtube videos, and online interaction with friends. I also enjoy writing my thoughts out.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
196 Posts
1. Personally, I don't like the stereotype that comes with the ISFJ name. That we're all fluffy, quiet, cute little babies who wouldn't harm a fly and all that other flowery crap. (This may apply to some ISFJs but definitely not me) I can be extremely vicious, and I'm strong, not weak.

2. I like setting goals and success. I love the feeling of seeing my work finished no matter what it is, so it helps me finish any tasks. Depending on the person, I will either tell them I have a lot on my plate or make up an elaborate excuse that would make them change their mind about piling work on me so I don't have to tell them it's too much for me.

3. This is a really broad question. I'm usually thinking about tasks I need to complete (including within relationships) or about things that are exciting or worrying. When everything makes sense in the world, like anyone else I'll feel very happy and relaxed. Being a person with an anxiety disorder, this is a rare thing and I cherish it while I can, helping those around me while I have the energy to do so.

4. It's kind of like "Sorry, you must reach level 10 friendship to get this information". I must feel very comfortable and safe with the person. I want to make sure they wouldn't use my deep thoughts and opinions against me or look down on them. It's very rare that I find people that I can share my feelings and troubles with that are bringing me down

5. Usually I try to find common interests between those I interact with so that people can relate to me and I to them. Whether it's music, TV shows, common people that annoy us, places I've been, personality, etc etc, I try to find something I can talk about with people to entertain not only them but me. Otherwise I tend to avoid people who I have very little in common with and can keep a conversation with. Passionate and funny people are my favorites. Especially when they appear to have an interest in what I'm saying and talk about their similar experiences.

6. I better relate to myself when I'm alone and with my thoughts. When I'm going through what I've experienced recently or not so recently I try to check in with myself and find where I stand with myself and other people. How do I keep sane? Well I'm a very unhealthy person so I usually avoid my problems, or I write in a journal/draw/make music. Outlets are key to keeping me in line.

That was a lot longer than I intended sorry! :frustrating:

·
Registered
Beta Gang - EIE 3w4 - 368 sx/so
4,750 Posts
Hi ENFPs,

(1) why do a lot of you go through different phases in life? What is consistent about it?
Isn't it the only thing that is consistent in life, that you ll go through a lot of different versions of yourself ? I mean look at how it happen on so many different levels such as it is painted in the media. Breaking Bad for example, is the story of that dude which contained is whole goddamn life and just let it all go right ?

It might be necessary to constantly be on the move when you think about it. Some people are perfectly happy by stayin where they are, and they'll go through "phases" with all the experiences that are all around. If you stay the same person its time to be sorry for your ass, honestly. Same if you get into a self destructive behavior

(2) what methods do you employ to calm your mind and get into a groove? How does it feel like when your mind gets all scattered and chaotic with a flight of ideas?
Observer did a very wise reminding : SPORT. Sport help tremendously with keepin yourself in check since it generate mother's nature prozac (aswell as gettin us in that "are you stoned or something mate ?" state that people seem to observe when one NF is well, absolutely cool, calm and collected, lol.).

How does it feel when the mind get all chaotic and stuff ?

Like this ->

I'll let you know when I'll be at the top of the Himalaya with a shaman buddy or something

(4) How do you think the world can get better?
DAT TRAP THO.

With love. With a hell lot more of love. By gettin rid of these absolutely disgusting assholes that appear to be nice, want to take responsabilities and shit, say they ll do things but end up deceiving fucking everyone and shit on the values of the institution they re now responsible of.

The world need more selfless person. The world need more persons that aren't power driven or shit and that still know what the most basic form of happiness actually mean and how irreplacable it actually is. World definitely need more hippies that are cool and would fucking give their shirt to the person next to them if she's feelin cold.

The world need more humans that would actually be human beeings. And its a lost cause, lets just face it. So for those who still want to be in the happiness, just do as they say : to live happy, live hidden.

By just digging through. Like seriously. How often do you hear people actually doin that, askin the relevant and more personal questions instead of fucking judging a book by the cover. I swear I don't bite. I look an alone quirky lunatic but I really accept anybody who want to chat and smile.

When I'll figure that out I'll let you know aswell :p

Reactions: Tips

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would echo the others here who already posted about being aware of paradoxes.

People tell you A LOT about themselves if you pay attention. People tend to have patterns and we all have habits. Many, but not all people, seem to make their decisions based on the same principles so over time, their actions don't surprise me unless they have decide to change, which a lot of people don't really do much of it seems after a certain age.

Good.
that question made me nervous because if the goal is to get the disclosure, I'm not sure if that is a good goal.

I think by being self-aware and healthy enough themselves that they are able to value me as an individual.

(6) How do you better relate to yourself? What strategies do you use to keep you sane?[/QUOTE]
Being healthy. Finding ways to live my principles and values. Getting enough rest. The basics really. :)

I have a question for the OP - what if anything strikes you as different from how INFPs would answer these?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
lol thanks for the attempt to be my EQ teacher, but believe me I have plenty of this internalisation going on in my own life already, as do most ENFPs, and certainly the vast majority of ENFPs who would be on this forum.

I will answer in short-hand though- I think my life has most often been about a balance between my subjective interpretation (applying meaning to life/events) vs objective observation (almost-scientific analysis of reality/situations). That applies to pretty much all of your questions.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts