Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personal Growth Recommendations
for Enneagram Type Threes

• For our real development, it is essential to be truthful. Be honest with yourself and others about your genuine feelings and needs. Likewise, resist the temptation to impress others or inflate your importance. You will impress people more deeply by being authentic than by bragging about your successes or exaggerating your accomplishments.
  • Develop charity and cooperation in your relationships. You can do this by taking time to pause in busy day to really connect with someone you care about. Nothing spectacular is required—simply a few moments of quiet appreciation. When you do so, you will become a more loving person, a more faithful friend—and a much more desirable individual. You will feel better about yourself.
  • Take breaks. You can drive yourself and others to exhaustion with your relentless pursuit of your goals. Ambition and self-development are good qualities, but temper them with rest periods in which you reconnect more deeply with yourself. Sometimes taking three to five deep breaths is enough to recharge your battery and improve your outlook.
  • Develop your social awareness. Many Threes have grown tremendously by getting involved in projects that had nothing to do with their own personal advancement. Working cooperatively with others toward goals that transcend personal interest is a powerful way of finding your true value and identity.
  • In their desire to be accepted by others, some average Threes adapt so much to the expectations of others that they lose touch with what they are really feeling about the situation. Develop yourself by resisting doing what is acceptable just to be accepted. It is imperative that you invest time in discovering your own core values.
Personal Growth for Enneagram Type Threes

·
Registered
82 Posts

• For our real development, it is essential to be truthful. Be honest with yourself and others about your genuine feelings and needs. Likewise, resist the temptation to impress others or inflate your importance. You will impress people more deeply by being authentic than by bragging about your successes or exaggerating your accomplishments.
  • Develop charity and cooperation in your relationships. You can do this by taking time to pause in busy day to really connect with someone you care about. Nothing spectacular is required—simply a few moments of quiet appreciation. When you do so, you will become a more loving person, a more faithful friend—and a much more desirable individual. You will feel better about yourself.
  • Take breaks. You can drive yourself and others to exhaustion with your relentless pursuit of your goals. Ambition and self-development are good qualities, but temper them with rest periods in which you reconnect more deeply with yourself. Sometimes taking three to five deep breaths is enough to recharge your battery and improve your outlook.
  • Develop your social awareness. Many Threes have grown tremendously by getting involved in projects that had nothing to do with their own personal advancement. Working cooperatively with others toward goals that transcend personal interest is a powerful way of finding your true value and identity.
  • In their desire to be accepted by others, some average Threes adapt so much to the expectations of others that they lose touch with what they are really feeling about the situation. Develop yourself by resisting doing what is acceptable just to be accepted. It is imperative that you invest time in discovering your own core values.
If I may, I would like to add to these. Not really any new ideas, but just a little added dimension:
  • Be honest in why you are with someone, whether an intimate or otherwise. So, be aware of you being friends with someone b/c you are in reality using them somehow. I don't think 3's necessarily consciously use someone, but it happens when someone else is helping them in some way, and 3's no longer connect with that person except in what they are using them for.
  • Take time to understand how you feel. 3's tend to get disconnected from their emotions so taking time to study and understand them helps a 3 to own them.
  • In addition to social awareness, on a smaller scale, just random acts of kindness for others. It doesn't have to be a major social commitment, which 3's can even get lost in their own 3-ness as they perform within the charity organization. So, just do some smaller scale things for those around you. It also helps a 3 become aware of the needs of those around them and not just their own needs.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
36 Posts

Very much agree with that. We have to watch becoming anything other than genuine in our social interactions (which I guess ties into the first point about truthfulness with self). Genuinness should never be sacrificed because of social expectations or our own personal ambitions involving others. It can be a fine balance to be walked but in my experience people who compromise with whats genuinely in their hearts simply become fake in the eyes of others.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks. I find this to be quite helpful. I am now experiencing that feeling of losing myself. I don't know who I am anymore. However, I am set of finding myself again. Maybe this is really finding myself for the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts