Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm fairly new to this forum, and reading these threads have been so satisfying. I'm sorry if this is a repeat of a topic, but I'm curious about INFJs and being psychic. I know, because of our intuition, that we are more likely to have psychic experiences, and I just wanted to hear your own personal stories.
I guess I shall begin! :happy:

When I was a baby, before I learned my own name, I apparently called myself "Ashi," which was the name of my great- great- grandmother who passed away long before I was born. I would say things like, "Ashi hungry," even though my name is Sarah.

After my grandmother suddenly passed away when I was about 12 years old, my mother, aunt and I went inside her house, in search of her will. I was by myself in a room, and I felt a strange presence, or energy, all throughout the house. I started looking through random drawers, not sure of what I was looking for exactly, but I just felt this impulse to search through these drawers. After a few minutes, I reached down and grabbed a piece of paper. It was a letter written to her for me, undated, and it said something like "I love the fall, come walk with me and we can walk on the leaves." It was November, and the leaves were falling everywhere.

A couple years ago, I had this vivid dream when I was staying at someone else's house, where I was sitting on this couch with other people, and somebody was showing or giving me this fossil of a snail. When I woke up, I went back home, and my mom showed me this fossilized snail her friend had found on a research trip and given her.

Those are the main experiences I've had, although I've had other times where I just feel certain energies, but I haven't specifically predicted any events. Anybody else had similar experiences or experiences of their own?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are we psychic? I don't know if it would work for me to try to see the future. But sometimes I imagine things and then things happen which remind me of what I imagined. Not like deja vu which feels strange. This is like one sees forms and then those forms happen in another place. Once I imagined a woman was sitting in a car with a cigarette as I was walking down the street. When I turned the corner there was a car with windows down and a woman sitting smoking. Is this coincidence? It is not deja vu because it is so much to a point. I do not understand it but I can't make it happen when I want.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If I had to name it, I would be an empath

I have (near) perfect control over my emotional output

One day I was sitting in my room and I felt a great tiredness. Part of me had weakened. I could sense that something big was about to happen. And just like that, it was gone

15 minutes later I received a phone call from my father (currently on his way to pick me up)

Said that my grandfather was on his deathbed in the hospital, then told me I had to be strong for my grandma (my mother predictably went out of control and would have made the entire situation much worse)

For the next 12 hours I was made of stone.

It is a nice ability to hone. But at times I feel robotic

EDIT: I can 'imprint' emotion onto others as well, though it only really seems to work on babies. Not sure if I can call that an 'ability' though. Can't everyone do that?

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I wouldn't claim any INFJ to be psychic or anything, rather, we're very good at picking up patterns of the environment that gets absorbed through intuition which allows us to predict certain outcomes in the future. This requires really good observation and Se(extraverted sensing). The more you're aware of your environment and what's going on, the more your intuition picks up information and integrates it into internal frameworks of our brain. Unlike Ne though, that connect the dots and makes new associations and inferences from what is happening in the external world; Ni speculates, predicts and makes strategies of what is to come. This can account to people telling us that we're psychic and stuff, but I think everyone is capable of doing this, it just requires practice.

Sorry for bursting everyone's bubble :tongue:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't claim any INFJ to be psychic or anything, rather, we're very good at picking up patterns of the environment that gets absorbed through intuition which allows us to predict certain outcomes in the future. This requires really good observation and Se(extraverted sensing). The more you're aware of your environment and what's going on, the more your intuition picks up information and integrates it into internal frameworks of our brain. Unlike Ne though, that connect the dots and makes new associations and inferences from what is happening in the external world; Ni speculates, predicts and makes strategies of what is to come. This can account to people telling us that we're psychic and stuff, but I think everyone is capable of doing this, it just requires practice.

Sorry for bursting everyone's bubble :tongue:
I guess I didn't mean psychic quite so literally, or that's kind of my definition of psychic abilities. I agree with you that its actually our intuition able to pick up certain, almost invisible patterns, and that anyone is capable of it when that strength is developed. I was just curious what experiences people have had that have seemed "psychic" in nature.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
I guess I didn't mean psychic quite so literally, or that's kind of my definition of psychic abilities. I agree with you that its actually our intuition able to pick up certain, almost invisible patterns, and that anyone is capable of it when that strength is developed. I was just curious what experiences people have had that have seemed "psychic" in nature.
I felt sort of bad afterwards for spoiling your thread, I just have a very bad habit of trying to explain everything and sometimes I take the fun out of things.

If it makes you feel better, not long ago I was at a street and I somehow got the tingling sensation that makes your hair stand on end that something was going to happen. Two minutes later there was a car accident while I was waiting for the streetlight. There are certain instances when there is no logical explanation for events, but that's my job, to find them ;)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Lately the whole physic thing as when annoying me, I don't think I am
Can't my brain just work super fast? :tongue:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have many stories that some may label "psychic", but I'll leave that to you. I tend not to talk about this subject because people give me the "your crazy" look, however I've had a quite a few incidents.

Sometimes it could be a heavy feeling like someone already said.
It could be a name that pops up in mind and I end up meeting a person shortly after with that name.
It could be a dream that fits to a tee in reality.
Or a premonition.

I don't know if it's an INFJ trait or not, but I do know that both my mother and best friend are INFJ's, and it happens to them.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I do agree fully with Seeker of Truth on the inner workings of pattern analysis and intuition. However, those moments that cannot be explained make me angry, because when I talk about it, I expect everyone to look at me like I'm full of tripe

Even if it can be honed or even useful in some aspect, I don't want this to happen anymore > <

·
Registered
264 Posts
Empathy is something that I have never been able to quite fiqure out. (It is a strange thing indeed) But, I rather enjoy it now when I give myself a reality check. If nothing in my day has "caused that feeling" then I know someone around me has. -- It helps form understanding and I can go easy on them or offer my support.

Things I see. Well, I noticed that I must notice alot around me that I don't exactly pay attention to at the time it is happening. (But, my senses remember it, and I respond to it accordantly.) That is the way I choose to rationalize it.

One thing I do have a difficult time with.... (an example) I had a bad feeling about my daughter going to the public swimming pool. But, it was so hot outside and all my other children were going. --- Bottom line, she broke her arm and cut her chin very badly that day... at the pool. -- Have a hard time forgiving myself over that one. Just a chance encounter.

·
Banned
162 Posts
when i was about six years old, my mother had been out for the evening. i was at home alone with my father. went to bed, the typical routine. i woke from my sleep a couple of hours after i had gone to bed. went up to my father and told him i was not feeling well. he checked my temperature and told me that i was fine and i should go back to sleep. there was a phone call ten minutes later. it was my mother and she had just spun out on the freeway and stalled out. luckily she was fine. years later she had told me that there had been a man that had helped her get the car started back up. as soon as she got the car up and running, she had turned around to thank the man. he was gone.

about five years ago i was heading out on my bike to meet up with some friends. kissed my mother goodbye, it was the usual routine, or so i had thought. this day in particular my mother had really stressed being careful on my trek to go see my friends. i brushed it off as my mother being a mother. sure enough i didn't even get a mile down the road and i got hit by a car.

my mother is an infj as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm... While it is true that many INFJs (myself included) show signs of being psychic, I believe that it comes from their strong intuition.

have you guys ever seen a tv show called Psych? It's about this man who works as a psychic private investigator. Every week he solves crimes for the Santa Barbara police department.

but here's the rub. The man isn't really psychic. The whole thing is an act so he can get a PI license and continue to do the work that he loves.

And though he dosen't have any real psychic abilities he does have the following traits.

1. Strong Intuition
2. hyper aware his of environment
3. strong memory
4. impressive deductive reasoning

Sound familiar? most of these if not all of these are common INFJ traits. I think that this is why so many INFJs claim psychic abilities, and so many people around them swear that they do.

Our way of just knowing can be hard to explain, but I would not truly attributte it to anything supernatural.

My mother is completely convinced that I'm some kind of clairvoyant, a belief I've tried to relive her of for a long time.

·
Banned
26 Posts
I don't know if we are psychic- I can't be the judge of that, especially because I am usually pretty skeptical of that kind of stuff.
However I do know that at various instances in my life I have KNOWN something is going to happen and it always does. I often try to write if off as just a coincidence but the feeling I get before what I imagine happening happens is always the same and I really can't anymore!!
So although I wouldn't necessarily jump to concluding I am "psychic" as such- there definately is something strange there and I really want to learn more about it.

Reactions: pajamiez

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm... While it is true that many INFJs (myself included) show signs of being psychic, I believe that it comes from their strong intuition.

have you guys ever seen a tv show called Psych? It's about this man who works as a psychic private investigator. Every week he solves crimes for the Santa Barbara police department.

but here's the rub. The man isn't really psychic. The whole thing is an act so he can get a PI license and continue to do the work that he loves.

And though he dosen't have any real psychic abilities he does have the following traits.

1. Strong Intuition
2. hyper aware his of environment
3. strong memory
4. impressive deductive reasoning

Sound familiar? most of these if not all of these are common INFJ traits. I think that this is why so many INFJs claim psychic abilities, and so many people around them swear that they do.

Our way of just knowing can be hard to explain, but I would not truly attributte it to anything supernatural.

My mother is completely convinced that I'm some kind of clairvoyant, a belief I've tried to relive her of for a long time.
I had to reg an ID to jump in on this conversation. What you describe above is true. INFJ's can absorb all kinds of information about people, things, and situations. We internalize all that and somehow come to an accurate conclusion.

But, there is another type psychic ability that I have always experienced, and I'm sure others have too. I often slip into a trance like state and have image flashes, much like a scene from a movie. Then something beyond eerie will happen shortly after. Two examples from a couple weeks ago:

1) I'm driving to work and drift into a trance(I have no control over when this happens!). I imagined talking to my mechanic about the ABS brakes on my car. As soon as I came back to reality, my car's computer went nuts - indicating an ABS brake problem on my car. Car was running fine before, absolutely no problems. Within a day all the warning lights had gone away and the computer went back to normal.

2) I'm sitting at work and drift off into the trance state. I start to think about a girl I was matched with on an online dating site 6 months ago. Never talked to her or met her. I have no idea why she's dominating my thoughts. I was planning to finish some work and take a late lunch. My boss stopped by and convinced me to walk over to our corporate campus to grab some food with him. As we rounded the corner on a path on campus, I saw the same girl from the dating site! I've worked there 2 years, and I've never seen her before or after that.

These are just two examples of many I've experienced. I don't if it's supernatural or what, but it has nothing to do with taking in information and forming a conclusion. These are random flashes that later become reality, and I don't have any control over any of it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't have any 'stories' but every once in a while something odd happens..

For a few weeks now I can smell something in my room, just upon waking in the morning.
The other day it was eggs and right after I smelled it, I heard my sister call my mother if she wanted some eggs for lunch. Then she went to the fridge to take the carton out (so she hadn't cooked the eggs yet).

I often smell specific dishes... certain soups, stews in the morning and that's what we'd have for dinner that night.
And once, I smelled cantaloupe late at night and the next morning I found several containers of cantaloupe in the fridge. haha.
I also have had dreams about fruit juice, which my parents buy right after our current box of juice has gone empty. It's great because I actually smell the juice in my dream! which is really out of the blue because I tend to only be able to see and hear in my dreams.

Other than this, there are other odd events but I don't really know what is going on with me there, so I can't explain.

·
Registered
440 Posts
when i was young i woke up in the middle of a dawn
pretty dark
as i was walking towards the toilet
i suddenly either imagined or got an impression of a scary legged creature
and as i opened the toilet door
there was a CRICKET!!!!! blimey!!

and also this one time
when i closed my eyes to sleep
i could SENSE in a very unusual, unconventional yet obvious way
some sort of textural thing.. fluffy or like brush or hairy or broom-like..
i sensed a very textural energy that gave me very tactile at once visual impressions
very abstract but i sensed it

i also sometimes sense, when i close my eyes, myself being a very very tiny extremely tiny.. almost like a quantum at once very very giant... bigger than the entire universe.... and the two moments flash very fast extremely fast over and over... woosh!

and i get paralysed during liquid sleep :-0 because my subconscious tends to deliberately scare myself

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't think it's psychic, but I can usually deduce the outcomes of most situations

But I believe it is probably as Ghostwriter mentions

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
so anyone can be psychic eh ? then how do you explain I always wake up 2 minutes before the alarm goes off either in the morning or afternoon or at any time I set it (not at the same times each day) ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
so anyone can be psychic eh ? then how do you explain I always wake up 2 minutes before the alarm goes off either in the morning or afternoon or at any time I set it (not at the same times each day) ?
Or what about waking up in the middle of the night, taking the phone in the hand waiting for the alarm to go off in the next few moments and instead of the alarm, you discover it is 3 hours sooner than usual and you are actually called by someone? :tongue:

·
Registered
20 Posts
How about knowing instantly things one could never have found out in any way? Like having a tapping into the ether, an stream of all knowledge transcending time and space...

In such wise, I was able to gain an in-depth awareness of the character of people before ever meeting them. I have no logical explanation for this, but I have been able to use it for beneficial purposes. It can be likened to being a channel or conduct of servitude. :cool:

Hey, and we all dream don't we? Shame we don't always remember half the stuff... I think that's often as psychic as it gets for most people.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts