Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi cyberacquaintances,

I just uploaded a youtube video discussing uploading youtube videos. (Three cheers for recursivity.)

I'd be interested to know what you all think about certain types' enthusiasm for or reluctance to sharing personal videos. Feel free to respond here by written word or with your own vid!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't think its related to type at all, its probably mostly a comfort thing. Some people feel comfortable putting themselves on the Internet and others don't.

The employer point was interesting, but I can't see how an employer would care as long as you didn't mention that you worked for them in the video and then did or said something offensive. And I can't see how a video about MBTI would be offensive since its just pop psychology. Some people may have a distaste for pop psychology, but I can't see anyone getting fired for discussing it. It seems that most employers are concerned about Facebook comments more so than YouTube videos.

For me personally my biggest fear of doing a video is that people will make fun of me or ridicule me for some reason, nothing else really factors into my decision.

The disadvantage of a video though is that if you want to review something you have to play the video back whereas with a post it is written out and can be reread by others if necessary and they will probably end up understanding your point better.

I would be interested to see though if there is a trend between the different types and mannerisms though. I've noticed that I have some of the same mannerisms as other INFJs that have done videos, but I don't know if that holds true broadly though.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Interesting (and good video, btw!). At least from some of the points you bring up in the video, I can see where Fe and Fi might correlate to this - a lot of the reasons that your INTP friend mentioned seem rather indicative of inferior Fe insecurities (like, having to deal with reputation issues), while, you being a higher Fe type, might be more comfortable with controlling things like this? For me as an Fi type, I honestly wouldn't have any reservations about doing something like this, since I'd just feel it reflects me anyway, and I'd want people to be aware that it's the ultimate reflection of me - I think the personal experience of doing it would be a bigger deal in my mind than what others would think of me for doing it (as long as it's up to my standards and others like it, I really don't care what people would think of me for doing it).

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me personally my biggest fear of doing a video is that people will make fun of me or ridicule me for some reason, nothing else really factors into my decision.
So tell me more about this... does it play into what I was saying about owning one's personal likes? Does it have to do with having an "insensitive" group of peers? Am I missing it? I'm really interested to know more about this type of reservation.

The disadvantage of a video though is that if you want to review something you have to play the video back whereas with a post it is written out and can be reread by others if necessary and they will probably end up understanding your point better.
I agree about having something in written form being very useful. I consider myself a writer, and written word is my strength. I do like the non-verbal cues that video can convey, though. I lose something in clarity of articulation if I talk rather than write, but I gain something in tone. I guess it's a trade-off.

I would be interested to see though if there is a trend between the different types and mannerisms though. I've noticed that I have some of the same mannerisms as other INFJs that have done videos, but I don't know if that holds true broadly though.
So do you think that you and I have similar mannerisms?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting (and good video, btw!). At least from some of the points you bring up in the video, I can see where Fe and Fi might correlate to this - a lot of the reasons that your INTP friend mentioned seem rather indicative of inferior Fe insecurities (like, having to deal with reputation issues), while, you being a higher Fe type, might be more comfortable with controlling things like this? For me as an Fi type, I honestly wouldn't have any reservations about doing something like this, since I'd just feel it reflects me anyway, and I'd want people to be aware that it's the ultimate reflection of me - I think the personal experience of doing it would be a bigger deal in my mind than what others would think of me for doing it (as long as it's up to my standards and others like it, I really don't care what people would think of me for doing it).
Interesting theory about inferior Fe playing into things for an INTP. So how would that look for me and you, with inferior Se? Is that more exhibitionist, so we'd actually want on some subconscious level to put out a video?

Also, what do you mean "the personal experience of doing it would be a bigger deal"?

·
Registered
147 Posts
So tell me more about this... does it play into what I was saying about owning one's personal likes? Does it have to do with having an "insensitive" group of peers? Am I missing it? I'm really interested to know more about this type of reservation.
For me it doesn't have anything to do with owning my personal likes. If MBTI and cognitive functions ever came up in conversations somehow I would definitely say that I am interested in it. My group of peers isn't insensitive, they're just apathetic. Now if I had a group of peers that cared about this stuff and would appreciate my videos that would definitely contribute to my motivation to make one.

For me its mostly the thought: "Somewhere in the world someone is watching this video and possibly making fun of it. Either my voice, appearance, content, something." And I think this fear mostly comes from the group of peers I used to game with. They (to a larger extent than me) mercilessly ridiculed people for all sorts of things. So I have first hand experience with those types of people and I know that they're out there and could possibly be watching this.

And I think the fear of these type of people ridiculing me, even though they probably wouldn't say it directly to me because they're too cowardly or lazy or something, is only there because I've never really had a group of supportive friends in my life. All through grade school, middle school, and high school I didn't have a best friend or even a group friends that I really felt close to and was encouraging/supportive; essentially I was a lone wolf, and not by choice. This is still the case today (I'm 26 by the way).

As a side note I stayed at home when I went to college and worked during the day and took classes at night, so not having this group wasn't a huge deal for me since I was terribly busy. Dang, I wish I could do footnotes in a post....

So then, I think its the fear that someone will ridicule me for something in the video and the lack of a supportive group of friends to fall back on should that happen. I would basically feel alone and unloved/unappreciated and I've felt this way a good part of my life already and hate it. Even though I know logically that people do appreciate me because they tell me so I sometimes have issues believing that they do because they don't really back it up with any type of action. Its basically just lip service to me now. I'm waiting for the day when one of these people actually backs up their words. And I'm not as cynical towards people as I sound by the way...only when I dwell on it...

So I guess basically I'm just a little insecure.

Hope this helps.

So do you think that you and I have similar mannerisms?
I've noticed that most INFJs in the videos I have seen tend to pause every so often while they are talking and then resume. I've noticed myself do this in conversations quite often as well. However, I don't know if its a type thing. I think it might be more of an introvert thing actually since I haven't noticed this behavior in extraverts to the extent that I have in introverts.

And in case your curious I am now afraid that someone is psychoanalyzing my post and will respond by questioning my type! Haha. Although if someone actually did this I know that they would just be trying to help, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the more detailed explanation of where you're coming from. That all makes sense to me. I'm sorry that you've felt alone for so long. It's amazing how much of an effect positive reinforcement, and peers/parents who cheer you on, can have. It's amazing how much of an effect not having this support can have, too.

I've noticed that most INFJs in the videos I have seen tend to pause every so often while they are talking and then resume. I've noticed myself do this in conversations quite often as well. However, I don't know if its a type thing. I think it might be more of an introvert thing actually since I haven't noticed this behavior in extraverts to the extent that I have in introverts.
Yeah, accessing Ni!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey, thanks for the more detailed explanation of where you're coming from. That all makes sense to me. I'm sorry that you've felt alone for so long. It's amazing how much of an effect positive reinforcement, and peers/parents who cheer you on, can have. It's amazing how much of an effect not having this support can have, too.
It doesn't even have to be a huge amount of positive reinforcement, even a little bit can go a long way. I think it just helps to let you know that it is ok to be yourself because even if a someone or a group does ridicule/insult/whatever you you know that there is nothing wrong with you since there is a group that does appreciate you. Without the positive reinforcement the only type of reinforcement you get is negative, which leads to insecurity and other bad things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts