Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See, I believe that things happen to you based on how you see them
which means your personality effects the environment around you.
(Ahem thats why we ENTPs Are considered lucky affff, We just are so charming that things happen in our favor.)
I would like to hear your take on it.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
Broken down to the root your theory is the age old
question. Do we push change outwards (dictate change) or accept change inwards (deal with change)?
But what causes change. An actual change. And for that matter; why?
And should we care?

Belief structure pending ... Christianity for example works
as a center that pushes change from the individual outwards effecting their
surroundings.

Buddhist type accept change inwards and work with it.

Ego/freewill and such ... It is an interesting topic to be sure.

·
Registered
374 Posts
(Ahem thats why we ENTPs Are considered lucky affff, We just are so charming that things happen in our favor.)
I agree with that (I guess, to an extent?)
Things that happen to me may not be a big deal at all but they may be a big deal to, say, an XSFP (who seem to freak out of the slightest crap some times).
A "personality" WILL change due to experience though.
What's a big deal to me may not be a big deal at all for another ENTP.
For example, why would an ENTP be super scared of frogs, and the other one not be?

·
Registered
8,093 Posts
Perspective colors everything that happens to you by the meaning you take and give to and from your experiences.
If you change your thinking, your views on everything that has happened to you and is happening to you changes.
Personality is a set of habits mixed with a few natural inclinations that are either allowed in the environment or not. The same exact person raised in two different environments might have similar passions but leverage them (or not) differently due to environmental factors.

So a personality could be said to be a series of habits based on environmental factors combined with cognition/perspective. if you change even one of these, the personality can be seen shifting.

·
Registered
636 Posts
In the end its going to be both. We influence our environment but things can happen in our environment that are outside of our control that we have to adapt to. Anyways i tend to see myself adapting more than forcing an outcome. Im so indecisive i would never know which outcome to go for. :laughing: i mean shit...im a lucid dreamer and i dont even like changing those. Lol. Anyways not everything changes once you change your perspective. Gravity and other wholesome truths will still exist whether they are denied or called something else but i can see how many thing do rely on perspective.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think more than anything, your personality affects your perception of your environment more than actually affecting your environment. Using your example, being "charming", things might just appear to be in our favor because we perceive what happens in our environment in a positive way while another type might not notice the positives that happen to them but focus on the negative or weight the negatives that happen to them higher than the positive. I think ENTPs tend to push aside negative issues and ignore them so when we look back on situations in our life, we weigh the positives much higher than the negatives.

It is very hard to look at a circumstance where it is apples to apples. You cannot compare two people and what happens to them equally because between opportunity, education, etc. are never going to be exactly the same. For example, I became a manager fairly early in my career, surpassing some of my peers. Some of that is because I was more aggressive at looking at opportunities and talking to the right people; however, most of this is because I just happened to be at the right place at the right time and the opportunity that came up was in my wheelhouse. It just happened that they needed someone who had some people skills and could handle fast moving projects. If the opportunity was for a person that could focus on details and keep a large project organized, I would not have been the one they would be looking at for the job, instead my ISTJ colleague would have got it (which my ISTJ friend did end up doing when the opportunity came up a couple years later). Now, I did not look at me losing out on that large project management job as a negative, I saw that it was not something that would have been a good fit. I do know that an ESTJ peer (who actually was a friend) was irritated I got the promotion before him, even though he is not good with small fast moving projects. Js tend to see things as black or white/good or bad, they might be happy for a person but a piece of them is going to interpret it as "why didn't I get it, I deserve it" negativity. In all these circumstances, when seen from an outsiders perspective, we looked like we had successful careers and lots of opportunities.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Personalities can and do change due to experiences that people have. This, as far as I know, is empirical fact (see Phineas Gage for a famous example). However, this does not mean that your cognitive constitution does not impose constraints on what you can experience. There is a reason why humans, and not rats, can navigate a maze in accordance with a rule involving prime numbers. The reason is that the human has the requisite cognitive structure to do so, whereas the rat does not.

I don't see why one would say that personality impacts one's experience in any interesting way. It's not clear to me what the evidence for that would consist in. The question may be re-phrased as asking whether there are personality-specific experiences, and I don't understand that question.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You manifest your reality. Not as a matter of personality, but how you choose to perceive and interact with the world on an individual basis. The energies you put out (negative or positive) will come back to you. You attract what you put out, because if you perceive life to be a certain way that will color your perception of events that happen to you and you will be stuck in a perpetual state of depression. If you walk through life feeling sorry for yourself and thinking your life is just the worst and expecting bad shit to happen to you, you will be proven right. If you appreciate what you have and love the life that you have even through the rocky parts, you will see that positive energy returned to you. Events on their own don't influence the experiences we have and the memory we keep of them, it is all colored by how we perceive the event that happened.

To put it in layman's terms: If you're a whiny b*tch, you will always see yourself as a victim and thus will always be a victim no matter what events do or do not happen to you. Life is seized and lived most fully by optimists, dreamers, and higher thinkers not people dragging their feet crying about how hard their life is.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Yes, I agree. For us entp I think we are very able to swim against current and enjoy doing it; i'm not sure if other personalities (ISxx) are able to do the same they are heavily influenced by the environment, but we make change happen and change is only possible if we overcome the environment. So definitively, yes.

About you second part, I like your positiveness, but in my case I always have to flight a lot and get a lot of brushes and wounds towards soul and body. No victimism here, even at some point I'm quite proud of my wounds. At some point I was even thinking I was getting high from fighting but that's not very constructive and a waste of resources, then I stopped eating meat, and started to aim just for headshots. uuummmm... Does that counts as personality change? Anyway, keep the "luck" with you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You manifest your reality. Not as a matter of personality, but how you choose to perceive and interact with the world on an individual basis. The energies you put out (negative or positive) will come back to you. You attract what you put out, because if you perceive life to be a certain way that will color your perception of events that happen to you and you will be stuck in a perpetual state of depression. If you walk through life feeling sorry for yourself and thinking your life is just the worst and expecting bad shit to happen to you, you will be proven right. If you appreciate what you have and love the life that you have even through the rocky parts, you will see that positive energy returned to you. Events on their own don't influence the experiences we have and the memory we keep of them, it is all colored by how we perceive the event that happened.

To put it in layman's terms: If you're a whiny b*tch, you will always see yourself as a victim and thus will always be a victim no matter what events do or do not happen to you. Life is seized and lived most fully by optimists, dreamers, and higher thinkers not people dragging their feet crying about how hard their life is.
I agree with your post specially in the last paragraph, but is not enough to dream or wish, at some point "somebody" has to run for it, and often, this "somebody" is an ENTP. I think you are reflecting very well that is expected for an INTP, a lot of analysis, a lot of vision, a lot of multiple viewpoints. It is nice.

But often I simply don't have time for that, just a little bit of intuition pointing to "see through the fog where the wall is thinner" and fearlessly break it throughout. Is not chasing opportunities nor convincing yourself about the opportunities, both of them are too exhausting, too passive, too slow to happen, for me is more building opportunities meanwhile moving. Probably opportunities is not even the right word... I think most ENTPs work like that.

I cannot agree more in the energy part. That's fundamental, celebrate one's past, enjoy the living moment and change the future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts