Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you speak any foreign languages?

If yes, do you ever feel it has a different effect on you than your mother tongue, how you feel even about a certain word?

My point of view broadens, that's what I feel about languages. I experience a new spectrum of living, thinking and feeling.

I've been thinking that languages has their own souls so it touches ours, too.

How do you think language adds to one's personality, or do you think it has any effect at all?

I don't know what to expect. I just wonder about you vs. languages.

Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
@Nipidol Studies shows that learning a foreign language can change and strengthen the cognitive connection in our brain that can open new perspectives to the owner. So learning and speaking a new langage can effect the way we think about things with more layers.
More the language is different from our mother tongue more your brain will be force out to make new connection for example "Mandarin" is very difficult to learn because the structure is really different of what someone who speak english is accustomed to.
By the result of having a brain more flexible and efficient. I consider the brain as a muscle.
I advice you to look at the movie "arrival", in this movie there is theory about how language can shape the way you think.

9,999 Posts
Half a dozen to a dozen, depending on how you define "speak" and "language". It's mah profeshyun yo.

If yes, do you ever feel it has a different effect on you than your mother tongue, how you feel even about a certain word?
Fundamentally. I don't like the language I grew up with (LIGUW) much and don't use it daily. I find it hard to express my emotions in LIGUW, and since I'm equally fluent in a couple of others, I prefer those. I feel... cold, distant and stiff when I speak LIGUW. I left that country when I turned 18 and haven't ever wanted to move back.

My point of view broadens, that's what I feel about languages. I experience a new spectrum of living, thinking and feeling.
Yes. Languages open up new windows between your soul and the world. If I lost the ability to speak Russian, my favourite language, it would feel like most of my soul was taken from me. To imagine I wouldn't be able to understand Bulat Okudzhava anymore... It would be a heart-breaking, soul-shattering loss.

How do you think language adds to one's personality, or do you think it has any effect at all?
Your personality acquires a new voice with every new language you learn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Marv I'm glad to get to know a person who is also dissatisfied with mother tongue. I am usually adviced to get deeper in my "own" language first and then go explore the other ones if I wish to. Most of them find me insincere and a wannabe, I think, I sense some jealousy, too. Yet, I feel cursed because I am simply not satisfied with things; in this case, the expressive face of life.

I love how you described your feelings, "cold, distant and stiff".

I fear I might become rigid. I simply try to find ways that appeal to me. But I feel, the criticism and silent reactions around force me to choose a side, which I never wish to.

9,999 Posts
@Marv I'm glad to get to know a person who is also dissatisfied with mother tongue. I am usually adviced to get deeper in my "own" language first and then go explore the other ones if I wish to. Most of them find me insincere and a wannabe, I think, I sense some jealousy, too. Yet, I feel cursed because I am simply not satisfied with things; in this case, the expressive face of life.

I love how you described your feelings, "cold, distant and stiff".

I fear I might become rigid. I simply try to find ways that appeal to me. But I feel, the criticism and silent reactions around force me to choose a side, which I never wish to.
Linguistically I think it helps a lot to be very proficient in one language when taking on another, i.e. to have a strong and rich vocabulary. You'll have an easier time assimilating words in other languages and building connections between meanings.

Emotionally... At this stage, I'm tempted to say none of it makes any difference anyway. You'll have to face your demons one day regardless, running away from them to other languages, countries and cultures will only keep you going for so long. Some day, you'll wake up in paradise and find yourself staring at your old shitty self in your bathroom mirror. While different languages do have different personalities, in my experience language can only ever be a communication channel between the world and your self. Pain/suffering/imperfection is always found in the self, hence no matter how many channels you open up... You'll find your self staring back at you, whether en francais, auf Deutsch, по-русски, بالعربية or ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਚ.

The same old pain
in my bathroom mirror
- even in paradise.

That is not to say it isn't worth it to learn new languages, to immerse yourself in them, to enjoy everything they have to offer. It definitely is. They'll take you to places... But you won't be leaving your self behind.

Did you grow up speaking French?

Reactions: Faery and Nipidol
9,999 Posts
@Marv No, Turkish.
Thank you, this really hit me.
My pleasure. It's often our unawareness of our deeper motivations that allows us to achieve a lot when we're young;

if youth knew,
if age could.

Be well, and feel free to PM if you feel like it.

Reactions: Faery and Nipidol

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Yes. I'm native English, university-level German, and everything else is self-study. I'm trying to learn Serbian, at least until I have access to a formal class format. Sometimes it seems like each language is its own sphere to juggle.

Yes. It's true that when multilinguals switch between languages they experience minor shifts in personality, as well. Not stark black and white differences (like Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde) but enough to garner research into the phenomenon.

I'm in love with languages for that reason; with new words come new feelings and new understandings. It is also interesting to me how languages are so connected to each other. It can be hard to isolate the true etymological source of a word, if one even exists. It seems like the deeper I go into any language, there is only more evidence pointing towards one human soul fueling the language machine. The core is the same, even if its embellishment is different.

I've been thinking that languages has their own souls so it touches ours, too.
This is so beautifully stated. I can't add to it without taking away from it.

It adds colors, layers and dimensions. Everything you learn in a new language teaches you an equal amount about your native one. You can't learn anything about a new one and return to your own unchanged. I don't love or hate my native language, it's a bubble that is hard to get out of until I view it from a different angle (via another language). It's natural, like breathing is. Fish don't know they're in water, after all.

I don't know what to expect. I just wonder about you vs. languages.
There is something unique about each one, and that's what makes them all beautiful. I love when people say "it's hard to translate". It means there is some integral essence in the language that you have to understand in order for it to make sense within its own framework. It's that secret I pine for.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,475 Posts
I wonder what type the Jamaican Patois is. It sounds so cool, musical and naturally rhythmic. In case you don't know it:

I would say it's INFJ actually. Why? Because INFJs are reputed to be chameleons; to have a bit of everything in them and so too is the Jamaican Patois. It is a vernacular language that came about as primarily a blend of Asante and English; other West African languages like Igbo and Yoruba also contribute to the vocabulary, and so too do Hindi and Tamil from India, albeit to a much smaller extent. So it is a blend of at least six tongues, which is what gives it that lovely free flowing and musical quality. Considering that representatives of the Indo-European, Dravidian, and Niger-Congo language families all coalesced to create it, it must surely be one of the most diverse and chameleon-like language around.

Reactions: Gilfoyle
1 - 10 of 10 Posts