Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can one be sure he knows himself enough to take on a label such as a personality type, especially when he can't guarantee that he'll be the same from one day to the next? It's true that most people would say that they aren't the same as they were when they were a teenager, or when they were a child. Personalities change as people age, but is there a certain point where Personality ceases to change? Is it possible that labels such as personality are too general to actually accurately describe somebody? Can you really apply scales and measurements to an individual, and how accurately can you use scales? Are personality tests accurate? How can you be sure that the questions on a test are accurate and can apply to all test subjects? How can a researcher guarantee that test subjects will understand the questions and answer them accurately? Do average test takers know the difference between judging with the head and judging with the heart, and can people accurately determine what governs them? Are people more likely to answer truthfully, or are they more likely to go with the answer that seems more appealing or more acceptable? If test takers are familiar with personality tests like Myers Briggs, and already have an idea about their personality, will their answers be biased? Furthermore, does the test account for confounds such as environmental factors that would change thinking and working patterns impermanently? If a person were to take a personality test before and after a big adjustment in life such as going to college, moving to a new town, or getting a new job, would there be noticeable differences in how they answer a personality test? How can a creator of a personality test be sure that their constructs accurately depict personality and that their tests have convergent validity with other personality tests?

Questions for others:
Of the Myers Briggs tests that you have taken, do you feel that you understood what the test was asking? When answering questions, could you easily remember situations in the past where you used one trait over the other?
Have you ever felt like answering a question because you felt that it was the more desirable answer, even if it wasn't necessarily true?
Have you ever been confused by questions on a personality test, and answered inaccurately, because you weren't sure which answer was more correct?
Do you always get the same results on personality tests? If not, do you only go with the tests that give you the results you want while ignoring the less desirable results, saying that the test was inaccurate, or you probably answered the questions wrong?
How do you know your results are reliable?

You don't have to answer all of the questions. Just answer the questions that intrigue you. I would appreciate any opinions that you have on the matter. Also, if my writing style is confusing, please tell me, so that I can make better threads in the future.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would also like to bring up Labeling theory. How many of us label ourselves as something, only to notice more behaviors that proliferate the idea that we are that label? Have we always acted this way, or has the label in some way caused us to change our behaviors to fulfill this new description of ourselves?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts