Took a while of coding but I rushed it so please report any bugs thanks.:happy:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I made a profile just for fun, but it looked ridiculous so I deleted it. :laughing:

·
MOTM July 2010
4,596 Posts
Awesome, Lance. Brilliant. *thumbs up*

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
PersonalityCafe - Myers Briggs Dating

We need people making profiles to work out the bugs. If you don't want to date then choose penpal or somethgin.

Lance you need more height levels. You are missing some around 5 foot 9. If I were you Lance i would make an account on plenty of fish and grab some ideas from that site.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Just a question here since I've never owned a forum but won't this add to the cost of keeping the forum up? I mean, aside from being a ridiculous notion (we are not eharmony dammit), if this works then won't there be larger influx of people? This seems like an entirely useless feature that will do more damage then good to me.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Just a question here since I've never owned a forum but won't this add to the cost of keeping the forum up? I mean, aside from being a ridiculous notion (we are not eharmony dammit), if this works then won't there be larger influx of people? This seems like an entirely useless feature that will do more damage then good to me.
I would say he will most likely split it from the forum eventually. It is pretty much a beta tester right now.

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
I made a profile to work out bugs.

Some notable issues:

• Height is missing anything in the 10" and 11" range, it jumps straight from 5'9" to 6'0".
  • Weight? You expect women to admit this? Another issue is that you're using it to eyeball someone's appearance, but I know solid women who weigh far more than what they look, and other women who look heavy but don't weigh that much. It's a pretty lousy indicator. You'd do better using "body shape type" or something, along with height.
  • United States was misspelled as "Staes" or "Sates" or something.
  • The strengths/weaknesses indicators aren't great as implemented either.... not enough options, so you can get stuck with something that doesn't really describe you.... PLUS no degree of "strength" there either. I mean, who would rate themselves as "unstable" considering it makes you sound like a lunatic? Same with the others. Either a LOT more variety... or strength of indicator needs to be added somehow.
  • More options to gender preferences ("either" along with "male/female" would be good).
  • More options to frequency of drinking or smoking. The words chosen skip over that whole middle range --- more than "rarely" but less than "often/regularly." Also doesn't say how many drinks. As an indicator, this field should be more precise or else abolished altogether because it's giving a false indication.
Anyway... interesting idea. :)

Update on written profile (shown below):

is an INTP Female, 40 years old, living in Harrisburg, PA, United Sates. She became a Member of our community on 09-09-2009 hoping to find a Male aged from 25 to 45, from the Same State and targeted to Friendship. (Ummm... Didn't join PersonalityCafe to scope out guys!)

Talking about her life, she said that she is Separated, with children living elsewhere, Caucasian, Agnostic in her religion and having a Bachelor'degree education level. (remove apostrophe after Bachelor)

She is considered as Good looking in overall appearance, having 533 height and 180 lbs weight, with Brown eyes and Brown hairs. (yikes, where?) She has Sagittarius sign and her best point is Honest while her worst is Moody. In daily life she smokes Never and drinks Rarely.

Corrections here:
- the height # is totally wrong
- "weighs 180 lbs"
- Her astrological sign is Sagittarius, and her best point is being honest while her worst is being moody. (The adjective list should all be of similar style so they plug in correctly to the text.)
- In daily life, she Never smokes and Rarely drinks. (putting the adjectives first might work)

Reactions: imru2 and Liontiger

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PersonalityCafe - Myers Briggs Dating

We need people making profiles to work out the bugs. If you don't want to date then choose penpal or somethgin.

Lance you need more height levels. You are missing some around 5 foot 9. If I were you Lance i would make an account on plenty of fish and grab some ideas from that site.
I made a profile to work out bugs.

Some notable issues:

• Height is missing anything in the 10" and 11" range, it jumps straight from 5'9" to 6'0".
  • Weight? You expect women to admit this? Another issue is that you're using it to eyeball someone's appearance, but I know solid women who weigh far more than what they look, and other women who look heavy but don't weigh that much. It's a pretty lousy indicator. You'd do better using "body shape type" or something, along with height.
  • United States was misspelled as "Staes" or "Sates" or something.
  • The strengths/weaknesses indicators aren't great as implemented either.... not enough options, so you can get stuck with something that doesn't really describe you.... PLUS no degree of "strength" there either. I mean, who would rate themselves as "unstable" considering it makes you sound like a lunatic? Same with the others. Either a LOT more variety... or strength of indicator needs to be added somehow.
  • More options to gender preferences ("either" along with "male/female" would be good).
  • More options to frequency of drinking or smoking. The words chosen skip over that whole middle range --- more than "rarely" but less than "often/regularly." Also doesn't say how many drinks. As an indicator, this field should be more precise or else abolished altogether because it's giving a false indication.
Anyway... interesting idea. :)

Update on written profile (shown below):

is an INTP Female, 40 years old, living in Harrisburg, PA, United Sates. She became a Member of our community on 09-09-2009 hoping to find a Male aged from 25 to 45, from the Same State and targeted to Friendship. (Ummm... Didn't join PersonalityCafe to scope out guys!)

Talking about her life, she said that she is Separated, with children living elsewhere, Caucasian, Agnostic in her religion and having a Bachelor'degree education level. (remove apostrophe after Bachelor)

She is considered as Good looking in overall appearance, having 533 height and 180 lbs weight, with Brown eyes and Brown hairs. (yikes, where?) She has Sagittarius sign and her best point is Honest while her worst is Moody. In daily life she smokes Never and drinks Rarely.

Corrections here:
- the height # is totally wrong
- "weighs 180 lbs"
- Her astrological sign is Sagittarius, and her best point is being honest while her worst is being moody. (The adjective list should all be of similar style so they plug in correctly to the text.)
- In daily life, she Never smokes and Rarely drinks. (putting the adjectives first might work)
Thanks for trying it out and informing of the bugs. I'll fix it asap. Like treebob says its in beta so don't expect it to be perfect. I will add more soon and I'll try to grab some ideas from other dating sites.. :)

Not really. This won't add much to the forum cost. It does not take that many queries in the mysql since most of it is in file. I don't think there would be a large influx of people really since this script is not as complex as other dating sites. Like you said we are not eharmony. :p I don't know why its useless? I created this simply because I saw the need to make a dating script specifically for the mbti. This would also benefit many in real life if its successful so I don't see why its useless. We need to build up the memberships though. :laughing:

Reactions: WickedQueen

·
Registered
570 Posts
Is there an algorithm to match people up based on their type?

It's nice to know people's types, but I'd like to go about making my own matches :)

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there an algorithm to match people up based on their type?

It's nice to know people's types, but I'd like to go about making my own matches :)
Yes you can search for the personality type you like. :D

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
What a neat idea. Maybe you can make the dating portion of the site something people have to pay to use unless they have been an active member for a certain amount of time, or posted a certain number of posts. This would allow you to make money off of the people who come here just to use the dating feature, and would help you to keep the rest of the forum running. It would also limit the dating section so it wouldn't get overrun by random singles who weren't all that interested in MBTI.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
What a neat idea. Maybe you can make the dating portion of the site something people have to pay to use unless they have been an active member for a certain amount of time, or posted a certain number of posts. This would allow you to make money off of the people who come here just to use the dating feature, and would help you to keep the rest of the forum running. It would also limit the dating section so it wouldn't get overrun by random singles who weren't all that interested in MBTI.
Posted via Mobile Device
There has been another MBTI type dating service that was free for a bit then they started charging. Now nobody goes there. Plenty of Fish is huge and free. Might be good to keep it this way for now.

·
15,420 Posts
Sure, at least at first. Another option would be to have special features that can be purchased, a free dating service that can be upgraded for a price.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Sure, at least at first. Another option would be to have special features that can be purchased, a free dating service that can be upgraded for a price.
Posted via Mobile Device
hat is what killed the other MBTI site. You could browse for free but to send messages it was like $20 for a couple.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tried it out a couple of minutes and I think it looks really cool. I've also found that nice height feature that Jennywocky reported in an earlier post.

The fun part is that I'm actually 6'6 (or at least I hope that's converted into 198 cm) and where just about to recommend adding a "> 6'2" option for us flag poles out there, but I guess I can't complain now when my profile reads 243 :tongue:

·
15,420 Posts
I see your point, TreeBob, but did the other dating site have a free forum associated with it? Communication between members through PM is already an option, and would not be taken away. I'm just brainstorming right now to see if there are any ways to resolve some of the maintenance cost issues, and ensure that people using the dating section are contributing members. Perhapsa person can be given the option of using either cafe gold or real money to buy a dating membership. This would encourage people to post more in the forums, but would still allow people who only come for the dating section or who don't have time to be active contributors to be lazy at a price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Eylrid and imru2
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.