Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on research/personal experience, which MBTI types are best suited for another? (i.e: ENFP+ENFJ=terrible, INTJ+ENTJ=downright scary, etc.) Thoughts?
Note: Not necessarily romantic relationships!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Based on research/personal experience, which MBTI types are best suited for another? (i.e: ENFP+ENFJ=terrible, INTJ+ENTJ=downright scary, etc.) Thoughts?
Note: Not necessarily romantic relationships!
INTJ+ENTJ would be scary. Everyone would be intimidated by us and we could give people death stares. Sounds fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ugh, ESTJ's & ESFJ's are terrible together. *shutters* My mom & dad are a horrible couple, & I think that their types have a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The lasting relationships I've seen are = ENFP-INFP, ENF-ESFP, ESTJ-ISFP, ESFJ-ISFJ, ISTJ-ESFP, ISTJ-ISFJ, ENTP-INTJ. Those are some people I know. I'm INFJ and I've never been in a relationship. The best of my best friends are ENFPs though.. it's not a romance, maybe some sort of bro-mance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a ENTP and I have two best friend INTJ's! I also like hugging them, and I found out lots of ENXP's like to hug INTJ's. :p They're cuddly. (oh sorry, that was a very random tangent)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm an INFP myself, and one of my good friends is actually an ESTJ. It's an interesting relationship. I don't know the types of my other friends, or anyone I've dated, but I could take some guesses. I would think that one is an ESFJ, another an ENTJ or ENJP, and another an ISTP. Those are all guesses though. I would guess that my first girlfriend was an ISFJ, and my second an INTP.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
  1. ESTJ-ISTP
  2. ESTP-ISFJ
  3. ESFJ-ISFP
  4. ESFP-ISTJ
  5. ENTJ-INTP
  6. ENTP-INFJ
  7. ENFJ-INFP
  8. ENFP-INTJ
These would be the "OMG U COMPLETE MEE" compatibility. :frustrating:

·
Registered
60 Posts
ENTJ-INTP => LOL. From personal experience this connection is definitely you-complete-me immediate, but we also bring out the "worst" in each other b/c there are absolutely no boundaries and no need for social niceties that you have to maintain around Fs. This is a "let your freak flag fly" friendship. I'm not sure how well it works as a romantic relationship though; personally, I'm too much of a J to attempt a relationship with a P. My other best friend is an ISFJ and I love her to death but we don't so much as understand each other as we just accept the other as is. But romantically, in the past I've had a habit of crushing the souls of the Fs I've dated, so that may not be the best idea.

Not sure if that's true of all Es though because I'm a shy-extrovert, but my best friendships and romantic relationships are almost always with Is who are introverted but not shy. It means we can go out together to any social event and bum around in the house together too. I'm often attracted to other Es but they can exhaust me with their energy. As for shy Is...can they even talk to me when neither of us like initiating conversation?

This leaves me with INTJs and ISTJs.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm not sure how well it works as a romantic relationship though; personally, I'm too much of a J to attempt a relationship with a P.
Could you explain this more? I am also a strong J and am having trouble deciding whether I would be more compatible with an NP or NJ.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could you explain this more? I am also a strong J and am having trouble deciding whether I would be more compatible with an NP or NJ.
As a J, I have the tendency to categorize everything I do and (NJ) will do and as a TJ especially, overthink and make contingency plans for all my plans. My P father and my P friends sometimes drive me crazy because they're willing to say screw-the-road-map! and take the ~leap of faith~. I have no leaping abilities; leaping is bad for my emotional health (being melodramatic here, but really, I'm not a risk taker). It's great sometimes because being around them is REALLY fun, but I could not sustain a relationship built on fun. It just comes down to how much stability you need out of life.

·
Registered
778 Posts
From personal experience, an ESTP and ESFJ are a horrible mix (my ex sent me running and never looking back)
Ive also attempted a relationship with an ENFJ, but it was SOOO boring; which was oddly unexpected because he was a DJ.
Another horrible relationship ive had was with an ISFJ, but i was 16 so i dont know if i can make a just conclusion from that, the rules of dating were quite different back then. Lol

My current boyfriend and I are quite compatible. Hes the first person Ive dated that makes me want to say those 3 dreaded words that ive never uttered with an ounce of truth behind it. Hes really intelligent and is the first person to get how i think, which is a first! FYI hes an INTJ. Its nice dating someone who relies heavily on logic, and actually has a grasp of how the world works! Hes brilliantly smart and incredibly considerate of me, unlike some of my exes that had the relationship revolving around them. Our communication with each other is phenomenal and I'm able to tell him anything! Finally ive found someone that can be my best friend, as well as my boyfriend <3

The most successful friendship i have is with an ESFP. Shes truly an amazing person and i love her to death! Another good friendship I have is with an ENFJ- although i think hes an amazing person, he can drive me bonkers some times with all his worrying. A few other good friends I have are ENTP, ESTP, and ESTJ.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As a J, I have the tendency to categorize everything I do and (NJ) will do and as a TJ especially, overthink and make contingency plans for all my plans. My P father and my P friends sometimes drive me crazy because they're willing to say screw-the-road-map! and take the ~leap of faith~. I have no leaping abilities; leaping is bad for my emotional health (being melodramatic here, but really, I'm not a risk taker). It's great sometimes because being around them is REALLY fun, but I could not sustain a relationship built on fun. It just comes down to how much stability you need out of life.
So you don't feel that you need a P type to balance out your J? What exactly do you mean by stability in life? I don't know if I could sustain a relationship built on fun or not, but I think that with any P I might need a bit more space, whereas with a J I could be around them more...but is being able to be around them more necessarily an advantage in a relationship? For example, with a J, they could help me finish some project I'm working on or at least help me think through it, while with an ENFP they would have to just give me my space while I complete the project on my own, but they are pretty independent and would understand.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I knew an ISTP once that I think is a good person. Many ISTP's I see here seem to be judgmental, or disregard people that they call stupid. This certain ISTP was very accepting. He didn't like judging people (and was very good at it). I had never met anyone with so much self control. I used to be an INFJ when I knew him, but he inspired me to be less judgmental and more accepting. That's what made me very interested in ISTP's. So I would check up on the ISTP forums a lot, but most of their posts are very disheartening.

I also know an INFP male, and we get along very well. He also tries not to be judgmental, but he tends to think bad about people. He cares more about how people feel and to respond appropriately to however they're feeling. He has helped me to be more in touch with my emotions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So you don't feel that you need a P type to balance out your J? What exactly do you mean by stability in life? I don't know if I could sustain a relationship built on fun or not, but I think that with any P I might need a bit more space, whereas with a J I could be around them more...but is being able to be around them more necessarily an advantage in a relationship? For example, with a J, they could help me finish some project I'm working on or at least help me think through it, while with an ENFP they would have to just give me my space while I complete the project on my own, but they are pretty independent and would understand.
I mean never say never, but that aspect of balance/opposites attract just is not at all appealing to me. I only date guys that are "sure things" - or as close to it as you can get. Financially stable, fiscally responsible, not emotional or clingy, and intellectually driven. I'm not saying Ps can't be those things but that's not exactly what they're known for being. Ps generally make me more anxious and that's not a feeling I relish. The ENFPs I know are not at all independent. They're pretty touchy-feely-chatty-cathies; they do understand that I need space - it's just not their thing. At least ENTPs will be happy to leave me alone b/c they have their own thing/space/ideas/inventions/etc. but they're also scatterbrained and I just don't see the appeal in being the one that has to keep track of things for them.

If I had to choose, I'd rather date an FJ than a P.

That said, I do know a few ENTJ guys who adore their P girlfriends....

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 'best' friendships are with an INTP and an ESFP. I'm closer to the INTP; we do argue sometimes but it's never drawn out for very long. We've been friends for a good 4-5 years now.

My romantic relationship is with an ISTP and I reckon it's a pretty solid one; the occassional tiff but nothing major and it's very rare.

·
Administrator
22,338 Posts
I don't think it's type based really. INTJ/ENTJ are great. One of my oldest friends is ENTJ.

The types I have got along with the worst are: ESFJ, INFJ, ENFP, ISTJ.

The types I get along best with have been INFJ, ENFP, ISTJ, ESFP, ENTJ.

I don't really know any other confirmed ESFJs out of my friends over the years but I wouldn't be surprised if one was in there.

Sure there are different dynamics with each type but the most important factor, I think, is health levels. My motto: Just take each person as they come and use MBT as a guide to help with miscommunications and it should help you figure out where you are with them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts