Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personality Disorders and Cognitive Functioning

I am conducting a project that involves collecting the personality types (16 type and cognitive functions tests) of my peers (all of which are science/math/tech enthusiasts) and analyzing the results. I am looking to see if the 'Rational NT= Scientist' stereotype is somewhat accurate by testing my fellow scientifically minded peers.

I would prefer if no comments/suggestions/questions were left about the project itself and it's potential flaws.

Instead, I would like to draw your attention to the following paragraph.

Before I began collecting data, I discovered that one of my subjects (and close friends) has Borderline Personality Disorder. We had a mild to moderately heated discussion as to, 1. how their results will be interpreted, 2. how their disorder will skew their results, 3. whether they should be included in the study at all. Looking back, I realize that an investigation into the matter is an absolute necessity. I present the following questions:

1. Will a persons personality type and/or cognitive functions be greatly influenced by any personality disorders they posses (specifically BPD and OCD)?

2. Should the results of said person be included in a sample study of 25-50 people, knowing they are 1 of 2 participants that have a diagnosed personality disorder?

3. (sheer curiosity) In your personal opinion (I'm assuming you will answer the previous questions objectively) and setting aside other variable such as genetics and family history, are there any particular types that seem more prone to developing personality disorders than others?

I would greatly appreciate any insight into the matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1.I should think it would depends on the personality test that you are conducting. Certainly personality 'disorders' such as Autism and Aspergers would tend towards certain types (indeed we are all probably somewhere on 'the spectrum'), probably linked to my type (5)! ha haha.

2. Depends on what you are studying, if you are looking to get a high degree of accuracy (90-95 percentile), then any people above average would distort the results.

3. Yes, apparently type 1's are prone to OCD (try a google search, 'enneagram' and OCD, or whichever type.

Not sure if it is the wording, but 1 and 3 are clearly linked, though it depends on the personality disorder you are talking about, perhaps a chicken and the egg situation!?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, although that isn't quite what I had in mind.

1. I should have been clearer, I will be conducting two types of personality tests, the 16 types test and the cognitive functions test. I believe, however, that the question itself was clear, please read again. I would also like to remind you of the brackets at the end of question 1, specifically asking for links to BPD and OCD. Aspergers and Autism are irrelevant seeing as no one in my study is effected by them. Also, Aspergers and Autism aren't, strictly speaking, personality disorders.

2. Again, as was stated in the original post, I am looking to see whether there is a connection between the xNTx types and having an aptitude for/enjoy scientific pursuits

3. Thank you, that is interesting. Could you offer any insight into the 16 Types/Cognitive functions?

Yes, I think you'll find that all three questions are 'clearly linked', though I understand what you mean.

Question 1 is asking whether a healthy persons personality will greatly change after developing a personality disorder. This question is directly related to my study. Question 3 is asking whether any healthy personalities (ISTJ, ENFP, etc.) are more at risk of developing a personality disorder than other types. This question is for my own knowledge pool and is not directly related to my study (seeing as I don't know which of my subjects will develop personality disorders in the future)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts