Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was adopted as an infant. I love/respect my adopted parents very much, but don’t have much of a “connection” with them. Not uncommon for an ENTJ I know, but oddly I do have a connection with my biological father and his siblings. I was nearly 30 at first contact, so clearly they offered no environmental influence in forming my interests/habits/personality. It’s logical to me that personality is learned, so I question how this came to be. Are there genetic aspects that influence personality?

Note of interest-
In physical appearance I am nearly the twin of my biological father, and it’s known that society reacts differently (if unconsciously) based on the ‘beauty factor’. Not saying I’m fantastic to look at, just considering the following logic:

-I assume personality is heavily influenced by environmental factors
-My birthfather played no direct environmental roll
-Society will provide options/road blocks based on physical appearance (beauty factor)
-At given ages, birthfather and I could be considered identical twins

So, regardless of any parental/home influences, did our physical appearance have a significant effect on society’s environmental effect in forming our personalities?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I believe the correct psychological topic is: Nature versus Nurture.

There are arguments for both.

My personal stance is both. I think we have a genetic predisposition that is molded by our upbringing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.