Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of any connections between personality type and which music the person prefers?
I've always had the idea that what music someone listens, tells me something about their personality.
But I have never found anything confirming or hinting this is true.
Therefor I believe there is no connection what so ever and that music preferences are purely based on nurture, not nature.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, so that's what this thread is for, discuss !

·
Registered
131 Posts
The idea is not new.

BBC: Music tastes link to personality

Musical tastes and personality type are closely related, according to a study of more than 36,000 people from around the world.
The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot-Watt University, is said to be the largest such study ever undertaken.
It suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal aficionados were gentle and at ease with themselves.
Professor North described the research as "significant" and "surprising".

He said: "We have always suspected a link between music taste and personality. This is the first time that we've been able to look at it in real detail. No-one has ever done this on this scale before." ...

Reactions: Ziwosa

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I already know a lot of people who just like music not based on genre/style, including me.
Where would you fit in these people then ? As they like classic, which means they have high self esteem, but also like rock meaning they have low self esteem ...

And I know loads of people who love metal/rock but do not fit the attributes at all.
This article doesn't provide any kind of theory at all.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're making good points Ziwosa. Wondered about that myself.

The second link I provided states that "Prof. North is continuing his research" (2008). It still needs a lot of refinement, though a starting point is better than nothing.

The article also mentions Prof. North's book The Social and Applied Psychology of Music (2008), published by Oxford University Press.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope something fruitful comes from this research as I would love to see actual theories on this.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I'm inclined to think musical preferences are deeper than just personality. Cultural influences and education level (formal or informal) likely also play a part. Personality might influence one's willingness to expand and try new genres.

My music library includes Gregorian chant; sacred Renaissance choral pieces; Baroque, Classical, and Romantic orchestral works; contemporary pop music (bubble gum, hip hop, jazz influenced, punk); goth and heavy metal.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Does anyone know of any connections between personality type and which music the person prefers?
I've always had the idea that what music someone listens, tells me something about their personality.
But I have never found anything confirming or hinting this is true.
Therefor I believe there is no connection what so ever and that music preferences are purely based on nurture, not nature.

I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, so that's what this thread for, discuss !
The timing of this thread is incredibly serendipitous for me, as I got into a situation with an unhealthy INTJ IMRL who basically started shouting polemical tautology about this exact debate.

Cognitive neuroscience is going to give us the answers to all of these awesome questions in our lifetime, but as of right now there is little shift in the deadlock between the engineers of our mind: environment or biological make up.

I can tell you that what they are discovering is that many things that were once thought to be purely environmental are in fact based in our genes such as our preferences for learning (kinesthesia, visualization, aural reception). There is something else interesting that has been recently discovered. There are universals in music. People will taut music as the "universal language" and such garabage that has no basis in empirical facts, but ethnomusicologists, have discovered universal intervals, pitch sequences, and even the presence of a universal emotional response to musical phrases (i.e. people from other cultures can assign the same emotional response to unfamiliar and foreign music even without a single prior hearing of that cultures music.

I will pop on later with sources and articles from scholarly journals.

One thing that really burns me about musicology is that there are a load of people in it who are not interested in being rigorous with their testing, so in looking for quality information here you have to be very careful about what you read.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I love classical(e.g. rossini and Orff) and heavy rock(e.g. Tool, Korn, Chevelle)
I do not have many friend that like Tool. I would really like to know the personality make-up of their fan base.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i like to listen to songs with a meaning that i can relate to my life,or just new songs with a good beat.

·
Banned
98 Posts
My favorite band is TOOL. I generally don't like much other heavier music (NIN is the exception). I listen to alternative, punk, indie, grunge, jazz, hip-hop (just the stuff with meaningful lyrics), pop (again, only stuff with meaningful lyrics), and many other genre's.

I mainly prefer female vocalists; their lyrics tend to be deeper and more meaningful. However, any music with good lyrics which I can relate or learn lessons from is okay in my book.

I also listen to some electronica and chill out music. I can't stand country, rap, and foreign music (just because I can't understand the lyrics).

I listen to specific types of music to set a mood and get myself into character. If I'm going out to the bars to game on some girls, I'll throw on some Sinatra. If I'm going to work out, I'll listen to some punk. En route to class, I'll listen to something fast paced, generally house music, to get my mind working faster.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Rap definitely, lyrically sophisticated kind. Downtempo, anything with a female vocalist that have a seductive, or haunting voice, the kind of stuff that sends chills down your spine. Can't stand heavy metal, country.....everything else is welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also recently was just thinking about this. I'm into Jazz, Symphonic/Power/Fantasy metal, punk (late 70s early 80s), and Classical. I'm very specific in my tastes and I don't really like too much as you can see.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I listen to heavy metal because of strategic reasons. I doubt every other INTJ listens to metal because of the same opinion they have of the world. My being an INTJ made me create a strategic vision(which no one agrees with me on), but how likely is it that every other INTJ listens for the same reason?

Humans are too diverse to make that kind of connection. There may be a subtle correlation, but I doubt it's worth anything but through satisfying some sort of interest.

·
Registered
771 Posts
"One of the most surprising things is the similarities between fans of classical music and heavy metal. They're both creative and at ease but not outgoing."

"The general public has held a stereotype of heavy metal fans being suicidally depressed and of being a danger to themselves and society in general. But they are quite delicate things."

Music tastes link to personality
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Music tastes link to personality

·
Registered
210 Posts
If so, then i guess i have a random personality, since i just like to listen to any kind of music my brain think is catchy.
My mp3 playlist filled with so random and ranged music that the only thing they all share is i think they're catchy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts