Personality Cafe banner

Are you interested in participating in this long term study?

• Yes

• No

• I'll see how it goes, but I'm not sure

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My name is Nick, I am a Personality Psychologist doing research into Personality and Life!

I'm testing out the waters here, but I'm looking to see how open you all would be to participate in several surveys throughout the year so that I can research into how our personality characteristics relate to many life outcomes such as finance, health, movie preference, eating habits, working preferences, etc!

My research is meant for self-insight, and those of you who are interested to learn specific relationships between personality and outcomes. I share my research findings publicly and freely so that you all can gain all the knowledge and practical insight in an easy to understand blog format.

For instance, we did a short survey looking into personality and COVID-19 reactions and found that those higher on Emotional Stability tend to feel more engaged and satisfied with their life than those who were lower on Emotional Stability. At the same time, those scoring at the extreme ends of Extraversion tend to report stronger perceptions of socially isolations than those lower on Extraversion (i.e. high Introversion). I share these findings back to my participants and give some practical psychologist advice on how to cope during these uncertain times based on your personality.

Here's how it works:

1. To start, we need to understand your personality profile. The first survey is meant to serve as a baseline of your personality profile, so it takes about 40-minute to complete and assesses over 108 things about you. We will use this as a base of reference for future research studies. In return, you get a full report on your personality profile.

2. Every month afterwards, I will release one short survey of 5-10 minutes MAX. The survey will focus on a particular theme such as your COVID perceptions, Movie preferences, Eating habits, Decision-Making style, Relationships, Job preferences, etc.

3. After 200-250 has completed the survey, I will analyze the results and share the results in this forum for everyone to read. I'm also happy to answer any further questions you may have about the results and what it means!

4. Sometimes, I will ask you to nominate a spouse, partner, friend or colleague from work to give ratings about you as well. These surveys give us insight into how others may perceive us, which can open doors to all sorts of self-awareness insight! These surveys may periodically show up and tend to last about 5 minutes.

5. This will go about for a year or so, and I hope you all stay with us for that period of time! The idea is to follow you longitudinally over the course of the year and see how your personality changes, or predicts major life outcomes! So you can use your profile that you got in Step 1 as a base of reference to understand how it could predict similar life outcomes we find in the research.

Why am I doing this?

I think COVID-19 has revealed to me that not everyone was prepared for such a major event. And like with many things in life, people are fundamentally different and so have different reactions to things.

I want to bring to people's attention these possible outcomes, and have them mentally prepared to cope with stressors or decisions in life.

However, instead of giving generic advice or findings, I want to base it off what the data says. Because in my view, data always reveals some sort of truth. And any advice without evidence is just an opinion. (What do you think that says about my personality? ;) )

What's in it for you?

I'll just be upfront, I unfortunately can't afford to give remuneration for your participation. What I can offer is to share the research findings to you directly in this forum, share with you the knowledge, and some practical advice.

I want to respect your time, and so I only ask for about 5-10 minutes a month for you to spend answering a few questions, and in return you receive the knowledge that actually can make an impact on your life (Except the first survey, it will be longer than the rest so I do apologize).

Confidentiality and Ethics

This research programme is purely for self-insight. No marketing. No selling. Your responses to surveys collected will be destroyed after research has concluded, and you can personally request to remove and delete your responses if you no longer want to participate.

Your responses to the surveys is only available to me, and seen by me. It is not shared with anyone else.

Let me know what you think! I'm interested to hear if this would be something interesting for the community here.

And if I can get enough interest, I can release the first survey for everyone to have a go!

Stay healthy, and Stay safe!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After doing a bit more searching throughout the forums, I will point out some things:

1. The personality assessments used in this research are based on the Big Five and adopts the perspective that personality falls in a spectrum (or trait) rather than in categories (i.e. Types). I understand that most people in this forum are more drawn to types (i.e. MBTI). If you are very familiar with MBTI, the learnings and insight from this research can be transferable to your MBTI profile. I may do a post to discuss the relationships between Big Five and MBTI slightly later for reference.

2. There is some sayings that people who participate in these forums are of some sort of 'Type', and therefore can skew the results. To be honest, only time will tell. I will check for normality of our samples and check for skewness in case it might bias results. There are ways to correct for this such as removing outliers to hopefully normalize the data sample, but this may mean more data needs to be collected. And again, only time will tell on how to deal with these situations based on the data sample collected.

3. If it so happens that data is still skewed, I will make a decision if I should go ahead and share the analysis/results. If I do, I will make a point on the limitations, especially for those of you who are more statistically minded may prefer to know that. But I think the general population may still be interested in the results regardless, so I will make the decision on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
🌱
18,051 Posts
4. Sometimes, I will ask you to nominate a spouse, partner, friend or colleague from work to give ratings about you as well. These surveys give us insight into how others may perceive us, which can open doors to all sorts of self-awareness insight! These surveys may periodically show up and tend to last about 5 minutes.
So no loners?

Are you recruiting from other sources or just PerC? Seems you will have a very biased sample if just PerC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So no loners?

Are you recruiting from other sources or just PerC? Seems you will have a very biased sample if just PerC.
Hey there! loners are fine too haha

I'm recruiting participants as well from other sources such as through local societies, friends etc. But I think it's good to have people participate as well who are not part of my 1st, 2nd or 3rd-degree network. Just so I can get more out there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.