Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know pinpointing actual type is difficult with kids as they’re still developing, but while being pregnant myself I’ve been wondering how much other moms feel like they could sense about their child while still in the womb. I’m wondering if they have found much correlation between relative activeness or how vigorous their movements are and how the child is later on. I wonder how much correlation there might be between babies’ preferred positions in the womb and how they like to sleep or other traits. I wonder how their responses to different types of things like the mother’s activities, food, sounds in the environment etc. might be found to relate to how they are after being born.

So I’m asking you, moms of PerC, what observations or ‘sense’ have you had about your babies before they were born and how did that either correlate or not with the way they turned out to be while growing up? Do you feel like you could predict any traits about them before they were born, or not?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Dear fellow fetuses,

It has come to my attention that my mom is already posting about my personality on the internet, and I'm wondering if this is pretty much typical, or if I should be a little concerned. I've been tentatively planning to stay an XXXX until I'm at least 12, maintaining maximum cognitive fluidity and keeping all my options open. But now I'm wondering if this is going to frustrate my mom's nerdy desire to figure me out.

Maybe I should fake being an INTJ. That way her curiosity will be satisfied, plus she'll think she popped out a totally awesome kid. Of course, the downside to that approach would be that she's sure to be disappointed if I decide to be a different type later on. Especially if I decide to be an INTP.

What do y'all think? Is this early fascination with my personality something I should just accept, or should I try to kick some sense into her?

Your prenatal pal,
Aelthwyn Jr.

Dear Aelthwyn,

I got my forum training at INTJforum, where the vBulletin "thank" system is turned off, and I've never been a thanker here at PerC, so let me take this opportunity to partially atone for shortchanging you in that department by noting that, regardless of what Aelthwyn Jr.'s personality may be, I suspect it's fair to say they'll be pretty lucky to have you for a mom.

I wish you all the best in your impending motherhood adventure.

Your impertinent pal,
reckful

·
Registered
611 Posts
Bit of an unfair response @reckful. It's not like she was trying to type her fetus. She's just asking, for example, if mums have noticed personality traits carry over from in the womb to later. No need to get sarcastic.
@Aelthwyn, I have never carried a baby to term but have definitely heard other mums talk about activity levels being similar in utero and after birth. Fascinating.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Bit of an unfair response @reckful. It's not like she was trying to type her fetus. She's just asking, for example, if mums have noticed personality traits carry over from in the womb to later. No need to get sarcastic.
My post was strictly in good fun, and no serious criticism whatsoever was intended. I'm sorry if anybody misunderstood me. As I'd think you could tell from my spoiler, Aelthwyn's actually one of my favorite posters.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My post was strictly in good fun, and no serious criticism whatsoever was intended. I'm sorry if anybody misunderstood me. As I'd think you could tell from my spoiler, Aelthwyn's actually one of my favorite posters.
probably should have read the spoiler! apologies.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My kids aren't old enough for me to come to any firm conclusion about this topic, however I will say, for example, that the calmer baby in the womb has indeed maintained his calm persona outside of the womb. It isn't uncommon for people to remark that his personality certainly seems to take after his (INTJ) dad.

My mom recounts her experience with me in her womb as one that is challenging. Apparently I could never stay still and this continued throughout toddlerhood, childhood and into adulthood. It's true- I still can't stay still for long. My ENTP brother was the same way- hyperactive in the womb, hyperactive out of the womb. The other ENFJ brother was calmer in the womb and is certainly calmer/steadier than the both of us out of the womb now.

During infancy, I feel that the closest you could come to predicting personality traits is whether a child is inclined toward introversion or extroversion though. Despite my child being inclined toward introversion, I often try to steer him out of his comfort zone. What I know of his introversion only serves as a boundary that I am aware of and respect with regards to his needs. When he reaches his maximum level of discomfort, then I let him retreat back into his safe place.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I was a lazy little shit. Was head down almost the entire time and rarely moved. I was 2 weeks overdue and only decided to come after two failed inductions and 52 hours of labour. I was in no hurry to go anywhere.

I was a very active baby and toddler though, but once I got a bit older (mid-primary school years onwards), I went back to being the sloth I was in utero, and I've been that way ever since.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
My Grandmother (who I actually no longer speak to and who is wrong about a lot but even so) used to be a midwife. She said that when some babies are born they seem like they've "been here before" whereas some don't and I guess seem to be obviously experiencing things for the first time. She said I looked like I'd "been here before" when I was born. Sounds similar to when people say you are an 'old soul'. I mean I don't actually believe in that spirituality stuff about past lives or anything but I can believe that babies have different aspects of personalities even before being born. Maybe what my grandmother was talking about could be intuition vs. sensing or Se vs. Si? I don't know. It would be interesting to ask other midwifes if they notice anything like that I.e. New born babies seeming to have differences in personality and what they are exactly/what patterns the midwifes notice if any..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts