Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread I want to discuss how different cultures view different personalities. I also want to discuss which personalities are the most valued in any given culture. I personally think China is lead by introvert intuitive's because its probably the only country that has plans for the far distant future. It seems like most countries have no plans and are just reacting to the present state of things. In the US I think extroverted sensors are the most valued and considered the most ideal personalities to have while introverted intuitive's are the least appreciated. In China I think the most valued and ideal personalities would be the introverted sensors.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Countries do not have personality types people do. There are certainly cultural styles that lean in a direction one way or the other. Its fair to say the US is more extraverted than say Japan, and it might even be fair to say that the US (and most of the capitalistic West) values Extraverted Thinking as its ideal, but these are just heuristics. I would not say China or any other country favors Introverted Intuition because they have long-term plans because 1) every nation has both long and short-term goals and 2) this deals more with how you perceive and evaluate things and less about the objective happenings in the real world.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Countries do not have personality types people do. There are certainly cultural styles that lean in a direction one way or the other. Its fair to say the US is more extraverted than say Japan, and it might even be fair to say that the US (and most of the capitalistic West) values Extraverted Thinking as its ideal, but these are just heuristics. I would not say China or any other country favors Introverted Intuition because they have long-term plans because 1) every nation has both long and short-term goals and 2) this deals more with how you perceive and evaluate things and less about the objective happenings in the real world.
I did not say countries have personalities. I also did not say that China favors introverted intuition.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I personally think China is lead by introvert intuitive's because its probably the only country that has plans for the far distant future.
If this is true, do you think the Ni-dominant leadership focusing on long-term plans allows vulnerability (e.g. current Chinese air quality) in the short term? This would make a good argument for a personality balance in the top tiers of power. A sensor would most likely see and address the immediate problems faster than an intuitive, and thus the sensor would prevent the intuitive long-term plan failure due to immediate problems spiraling out-of-control.

Reactions: krimzon

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you're right about cultural differences! An exchange student from Ethiopia told me that my silence would be appreciated in his country, because there it means you're comfortable with your surroundings :)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think in Asian countries (especially china) the INTP's and INTJ's are preferred where as over here ESFP's and ESTP's seem to be preferred. I think in arab countries ESTJ's and ENTJ's would be preferred and I say this because I'm Lebanese and the "favoured" members of the family are all ESTJ's and ENTJ's. Not too sure about Europe but in Australia probably ESTP's due to their active life style.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Something quite striking is how introverted feeling has traditionally been more favoured in northern europe, while extroverted feeling more favoured in southern europe. But this is the only real example that can be made.

I strongly agree that countries do not have personalities, or even favoured types. But countries do have stereotypes, in hollywood movies, parodies, our common minds etc. so this is my take on the stereotypes countries seem to have. These are only cultural stereotypes, nothing accurate or analysable here.

Germany: If you are thinking of Arnold Schwarzenegger kind of german, it's obviously an ENTJ. Germany seems to have ENTJ-INTJ stereotype. (German precision - Extroverted Thinking)

Eastern Europe: If you are thinking of a Nico Bellic type of eastern european, it's an ISTJ. For me, eastern europe stereotype is ISTJ men and ISTP women.

England: British queen Elizabeth II is an ISTJ, and so is the general sterotype of a stiff-upper-lip brit.

France: The whole french culture seems to be a blend of Extroverted Sensing and Introverted Feeling. Essentially, ISFP-ESFP culture.

Scandinavian lands: Obviously ISFJ, men and women alike. Everything in scandinavia works in a perfect ideal of Introverted Sensing/Extroverted Feeling combo. Especially true about Denmark.

Mediterranean lands: Stereotype of those people fall around ESFP and ENFP.

Middle-East: I incline to believe the stereotype fits into ISFP pretty well.

India: Gandhi is typed as INFJ, and to lots of people, the India is a land of Gandhi's, so the stereotype of a wise indian guru is an INFJ.

USA: According to the bit of propaganda, it's ESTJ for men and ESFJ for women.

Canada: I don't know... INFP?

General sub-saharan and sourthern african: Strongly inclined to be an ESTP-dominant culture. In overall, it seems that all the tribal cultures have strong ESTP-cult, and all medieval kings are stereotypically ESTP's etc.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I kind of think of the US as being predominately an SP culture. Sure, you've got your "pillars of society" like banks, corporations, and religious organizations that we think of when we think about the SJ side of America. But I'd say everything about our indulgent, live-in-the-moment, to-hell-with-the-consequences consumer culture seems really SP. Everything from Kesha to Coca Cola promotes that now now now attitude that America has come to be known for. And while there is that constant pressure from the SJs who want to keep tradition, morality, values, and institutions as the mainstay of our culture versus the SPs who want fun, freedom, exploration, and new opportunities, I'd say the SP side is winning. Furthermore, there's nothing really sustainable about the way we live today, which further indicates that lack of forward thinking and planning. It's all about how can I maximize pleasure right now? It's in our food, our entertainment, our values: everything is maximized to increase pleasure as much as possible in the moment, regardless of the consequences later.

(In case it has to be said: I'm speaking very broadly and generally here about attributes that are associated with certain temperaments, not individuals and how it applies to them.)

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
What you need to keep in mind when typing cultures is to type them as they are not as they are perceived. Secondly, you have to keep in mind that when using type based on for instance China's long term plans, this has to be looked at in the context of what is a one party state.

In democratic countries "long term planning" is generally election to election, or rather budget period to budget period since compromises are generally required, this is not so much the case in states without democracy. I suppose one could say that China has genuinely long term plans not due to being an "Ni" country but because it's possible.

It's more or less the political level discussion on "short-terminism" that existed in U.S and U.K markets. Parties in democratic countries cannot focus on 20 years from now, because the next election is 4 years from now or so, and thus they constantly have to have a mix of "how to get reelected" and "how to secure the country long term". Unfortunately, since they will be unable to execute their long term plan if they are not reelected, the next election becomes their focus.

I'll type some countries later.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
The US has a weird ESTJ thing going on. Yelling for freedom like they're an ESTP but when it's tested lean toward ESTJ.

Canada seems more ISTP/ISFJ to me. They cope nicely with me. Outside of the cities, I see an ISTP culture that just want to be left the fuck alone. Urban Canada values ISFJ and the fuck out of the ISTP rural who don't share the same values in general. That's how it looks to me living here.

The UK is introverted. Those living there love to complain about people like me. I can get away with just being me in London but don't go over so well in the rest of the country unless I want to hang out with football hooligans. Pass. I'd have a hard time figuring the rest the type out. But no, ESxx is not cool for most of the country.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I kind of think of the US as being predominately an SP culture. Sure, you've got your "pillars of society" like banks, corporations, and religious organizations that we think of when we think about the SJ side of America. But I'd say everything about our indulgent, live-in-the-moment, to-hell-with-the-consequences consumer culture seems really SP. Everything from Kesha to Coca Cola promotes that now now now attitude that America has come to be known for. And while there is that constant pressure from the SJs who want to keep tradition, morality, values, and institutions as the mainstay of our culture versus the SPs who want fun, freedom, exploration, and new opportunities, I'd say the SP side is winning. Furthermore, there's nothing really sustainable about the way we live today, which further indicates that lack of forward thinking and planning. It's all about how can I maximize pleasure right now? It's in our food, our entertainment, our values: everything is maximized to increase pleasure as much as possible in the moment, regardless of the consequences later.

(In case it has to be said: I'm speaking very broadly and generally here about attributes that are associated with certain temperaments, not individuals and how it applies to them.)
But the US is so INCREDIBLY religious. I drive around the US and you HAVE A TON OF CHURCHES. Holy shitballs! America has a lot of churches. I can't talk without setting off Christians in the US. And the reactions you get from them. Your elected officials have to prove that they're Christians. The US is incredibly conservative. I get the sense that media is SP, the culture is SJ.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Si includes future planning, it's just based on things that could go wrong in large part.

l don't know what people think an ISTJ does if not plan, to be honest.

That would be traditional (modern) Chinese culture to many people.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Well China and the rest of the world have become so American that these distinctions are getting blurry. I mean there is Mcdonalds on every street in the world. America is not only the world's greatest military, athletic, economic, political and scientific power, but also the leading cultural power. America is such a diverse country, it can be anything. Politicians are obviously more extraverted. But a country is not its government. Americans value their privacy and are more skeptical of authority than the European societies from which they came.

And of course the US has a plan for the future. China is a timebomb in so many ways. I'll bet on America any day.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
And I always hear this talk about how America has this convenience, "satisfy me now" culture. Did you ever think that is actually human nature, but America was just the first one to cash in on it? Again, with the McDonald's example, is there a country that stereotypically represents rejection of American ideas as much as France? They think we are bumpkins and simpletons. Yet, France has more McDonalds than just about any country. You know what biggest tourist attraction in all of Europe is? Not the Louvre, not the Sistine Chapel, not any ancient, European shit. Disneyland is. In France. So yes, America has this culture, but what does it say about the rest of the world when we can sell this culture so easily? People worldwide want this style of things.

All people, however fanatical they may be in their zeal to disparage and to fight capitalism, implicitly pay homage to it by passionately clamoring for the products it turns out.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
And I always hear this talk about how America has this convenience, "satisfy me now" culture. Did you ever think that is actually human nature, but America was just the first one to cash in on it? Again, with the McDonald's example, is there a country that stereotypically represents rejection of American ideas as much as France? They think we are bumpkins and simpletons. Yet, France has more McDonalds than just about any country. You know what biggest tourist attraction in all of Europe is? Not the Louvre, not the Sistine Chapel, not any ancient, European shit. Disneyland is. In France. So yes, America has this culture, but what does it say about the rest of the world when we can sell this culture so easily? People worldwide want this style of things.
Fontainebleau Forest and Castle gets more visitors than Disneyland France.

Most visited France tourist attractions and sites

I've never been to Disneyland France, but there isn't a European equivalent of Disneyland France in Europe. Not much in the way of competition. Much like the US.

Actually, I find more Quick than Mickey D's in France. I don't see any KFC, Burger King, Wendy's etc...

Consumer's want convenience and America sells that. This makes the US superior?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The thing is though... you could never enjoy Disney by going though it fast.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Fontainebleau Forest and Castle gets more visitors than Disneyland France.

Most visited France tourist attractions and sites

I've never been to Disneyland France, but there isn't a European equivalent of Disneyland France in Europe. Not much in the way of competition. Much like the US.

Actually, I find more Quick than Mickey D's in France. I don't see any KFC, Burger King, Wendy's etc...

Consumer's want convenience and America sells that. This makes the US superior?
With a total of 250 million visitors since it opened in 1992, Disneyland Paris is the most popular tourist destination in Europe.
Last year alone the theme park, which is currently celebrating its twentieth anniversary, welcomed a record 15.5 million visitors compared to 8.4 million for Paris’ Louvre museum and 6.6 million for the Eiffel Tower.
Disneyland Paris is Europe's top tourist destination - France - RFI

That's another thing, American culture is so dominant that it is actually censored in many countries. There is a quota on it. I think even Canada has some kind of limit to how much American music can be played on stations. Like an affirmative action for the host culture.

It isn't just fast food. Even things like ipods and that kind of thing. There will be lines a mile long in countries across the world when a new Apple product comes out.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
But the US is so INCREDIBLY religious. I drive around the US and you HAVE A TON OF CHURCHES. Holy shitballs! America has a lot of churches. I can't talk without setting off Christians in the US. And the reactions you get from them. Your elected officials have to prove that they're Christians. The US is incredibly conservative. I get the sense that media is SP, the culture is SJ.
I agree, and for such reasons I highly doubt that I would go to the USA to study, as the culture is too conservative, plus I'm an atheist, so that would be a rather bad mix considering the religious side of that country. Even if Germany is rather strict and has lots of rules, I managed to adapt somehow to the culture when I lived there for 2 years, so I think that I could do a postgraduate study there, or maybe in the Netherlands. I prefer the silence and indifference of Germans than being annoyed by some people that won't accept my POV, plus the culture of that country and the good level of chemistry are part of the reasons that I'm considering for returning there later.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I agree, and for such reasons I highly doubt that I would go to the USA to study, as the culture is too conservative, plus I'm an atheist, so that would be a rather bad mix considering the religious side of that country. Even if Germany is rather strict and has lots of rules, I managed to adapt somehow to the culture when I lived there for 2 years, so I think that I could do a postgraduate study there, or maybe in the Netherlands. I prefer the silence and indifference of Germans than being annoyed by some people that won't accept my POV, plus the culture of that country and the good level of chemistry are part of the reasons that I'm considering for returning there later.
See, the problem with this would be it would all depend on what part of the country you are in.

Reactions: an absurd man
1 - 20 of 69 Posts