Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am curious about whether or not there is a correlation between personality type and how someone drives. I'm not talking about how well someone drives, but rather their driving mannerisms so to speak. It's hard to judge how well someone drives because that is more subjective.

By many of my friends standards, my driving is awful. They think I am hesitant and that I have no clue what I'm doing, which is true for the most part. Unless I know the route well. My driving is also very passive, if someone tries to cut me off I just let them do it and I don't force the issue. I'm not happy about it, but I just let them do it because to me its better than facing the wrath of an aggressive driver. On occasion I also tend to space out while driving, but it really hasn't put me in any dangerous situations. As an example, one time I was driving down a residential area and I really wasn't paying attention, but my foot was on the accelerator and when I finally came back to focus I saw that I was going at 45. If it wasn't for the fact the street was empty, it could have turned out to be a disaster.

Then there's my sister, who is an INFP. Her driving style is similar to mine except just way worse. She spaces out all the time, even on the highway and I am scared to death when I am a passenger in her car. She has already been in a couple minor accidents, nothing bad, but I take it as a sign that the worst is yet to come.

My friend, who is an ESTP hates it when I drive around. His driving mannerisms are the polar opposite of mine, he is very aggressive and swears a lot while driving. He'll do ANYTHING to save an insignificant amount of gas, like running stop signs and occasionally red lights. He calls it defensive driving, but to me its just reckless. To his credit though, he is also hyperaware of his surroundings and can make judgements based on the information presented to him, which I have trouble doing. I like to know what's coming ahead.

So what's everyone else's take on this? I'm not saying there is a definite correlation between personality type and your driving style, but I'd just like to hear from as many people as possible.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Slow, half-asleep drivers annoy the hell out of me! WAKE UP!

I used to swear a lot when driving and was too aggressive. I've matured enough to realize it's not a race and if someone cuts me off, it's not a capital offense. I've never blown stop signs or red lights.

The only accidents I've been in:

Rear ended at traffic lights a few minutes after I'd stopped for the red. (UK)

Extremely icy day, behind a guy making a left onto twisty road, tree's causing poor visibility around bends. A guy cut in front of the guy who made the left ahead of me. They drove side by side refusing to let each other in front. They just kept speeding up. I backed off but it was already too late. A huge truck slammed into both of them. I wasn't even near them and I still got bumped. They both got hurt but it was the poor truck driver that was shaken up and upset. I let him wait in my car and warm up. I made sure the two guys (stuck in their cars) had blankets and wrapped their wounds tight. Then let them sit by themselves in the cold while we waited for emergency services. I was pretty pissed off with them and told them I couldn't wait to tell the cops what I saw them doing. Messing up my car! This was in the countryside, took time for them to get there. (Canada)

Car drove up wrong side of the highway. I spun around, regained control, but saw the driver had hit someone behind me. So I pulled over. Everyone was okay. (Spain)

I'm very aware on the road. I tend to speed but I give lots of space and I'm very aware of what's happening ahead.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am an INFP and not at all like your INFP sister as a driver. I am extremely aware when I am driving, a bit impatient with people who are not with it and I guess a bit aggressive as in, I am constantly looking for the best route and lane to take to get me where i need to be more efficiently (i suppose that sounds INFP Idealist of me- always looking for the best possible option/outcome/opportunity even when it comes driving). I have pretty high expectations of people on the road and get really annoyed when people lack awareness while driving and don't display common courtesy on the road (driving etiquette) b/c i do not appreciate people putting others in danger. Personally I detest driving and feel so very overwhelmingly claustrophobic when i get trapped in traffic to the point that i specifically avoid being on the road at traffic hours and have no idea how people can put up with that daily. I love traveling on open roads but day-to-day driving within the city is not something i enjoy (but can be made bearable if i have good music or good company).

·
Registered
441 Posts
I drive very well mechanically, and am considerate of other drivers, but sometimes I don't navigate too well because I'm thinking about stuff. I also love making fun of bad drivers, but I don't rage unless I feel like I've been completely f'd over. I never honk unless its to prevent an accident. Nice avatar.

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
My subjective rankings based on my friends.

Ti-Doms: Best drivers.
Si-Doms: Hesitant drivers.
Ni-Doms: Spacey drivers.
Te-Doms: Aggressive but good.
Se-Doms: Aggressive and awful.
Fe-Doms: Always distracted.
Fi-Doms: Average.
Ne-Doms: Erratic and unpredictable.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Lol @ everyone thinking they're a great driver... :laughing: I feel like I get by okay, but I really dislike driving. It requires so much focus and gives me a major headache. I can't wait until cars are automated!

Reactions: sarahscriptor

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't drive. I was very uncomfortable with it when I was getting lessons and I decided that because of the cost, the damage to the environment, and my discomfort, I'd rather not do it. I love to ride in cars. I can get into a really good thinking groove when I'm riding in a vehicle and I like long trips and going fast :D I have an INTP friend who also doesn't drive because it makes him uncomfortable. Allen Ginsberg wasn't able to drive. I would type him as ENTP. I would type Neal Cassady as ESTP, and he was an amazing driver. My boss is, I think, IN?J, probably INFJ and she is also uncomfortable driving. She said she would drive if they let her go under 20 mph lol. My INTJ lover is a really good driver, but he gets mad. He doesn't get aggressive or say anything/gesture to the other drivers, he just yells and curses. I think it's funny. Actually, so does he.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
my style of driving is to put weight on the gas pedal with my foot when I want to go and to put weight on the brake pedal when I want to stop. I shift gears when I have to go the opposite direction I am currently going. I have been going back and forth 50 feet every day for 7 years, now. My commute is hell.

-I get lost in my thoughts.
-I love driving.
-I am alert to whether there are abnormalities on the road.
-I speed.
-I am useless in cities, but I have good stamina.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I like excitement in driving! I love playing loud music, opening the windows and enjoying the perfect sensory combo of wind in my hair+energetic music+fast movement :cool:

However, I can also get a bit aggressive behind the wheel, unfortunately, and sometimes get pissed at slow drivers who prevent me from indulging in the aforementioned pleasures!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
For some reason, I love this thread. Because whenever I drive alone in a 600-mile drive, I think about how other MBTI types drive and if other ESTPs have the same driving mannerism as I do. This thread just confirms that.

Ask my ENFP friend and he'll tell you that I'm one of the most reckless drivers he's ever ridden with. To give you an idea, driving 60 mph on a 30 mph zone, running STOP signs, and on some extreme occasions, drive on the opposite lane, etc. Not sure why I do it though.. boredom?

Lucid Dreamer. Your friend and I are alike when it comes to driving. He seems like a competitive guy. While driving, when I stop for the red light and am in front of the traffic, I look over to the drivers next to me, check their cars out, try to get a girl's gaze without trying to be creepy, and get ready to beat them to the next light. I used to briefly hang out with a group that puts on gears for and customizes their cars until I realized that I need to focus on education.

Don't worry, everybody. I do this stuff late at night, until morning, when there are no cars around. I make sure that you and I will come out alive before I attempt to do something crazy, such as cutting through traffic at high speeds, etc. It comes with experience and the will to put yourself in that situation and enjoy the ride.

If I could live my life as a racer, I'd take that chance. Being a highway patrol officer is good enough, however.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Driving is fun for me, but I'm really not good, especially now that I'm always at school and never have to drive. I got my license when I was 18 without having done any driving hours, so I SUCKED and have always had this complex about driving other people. I just won't do it. I'm 22, and I've driven my sister once...my boyfriend maybe 3 times, and that's it haha. I don't get road rage or anything, and I always let people go ahead of me, like if they're turning out of a parking lot or something, unless I'm really in a rush. And I speed a lot - I hate speed limits! It's not even on purpose...the limits just always seem too low! I've also never even used my horn once...I forget it's there, and I get so shaken up and hurt when other people honk at me that I don't wanna do it to other people! I remember one of my first times on the highway I almost missed my exit and accidentally cut this car of guys off so that I could get it at the last moment. One of them leaned out the window and screamed, "Stupid bitch!" at me, and I was in tears!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hello everyone, I am curious about whether or not there is a correlation between personality type and how someone drives. I'm not talking about how well someone drives, but rather their driving mannerisms so to speak. It's hard to judge how well someone drives because that is more subjective.

By many of my friends standards, my driving is awful. They think I am hesitant and that I have no clue what I'm doing, which is true for the most part. Unless I know the route well. My driving is also very passive, if someone tries to cut me off I just let them do it and I don't force the issue. I'm not happy about it, but I just let them do it because to me its better than facing the wrath of an aggressive driver. On occasion I also tend to space out while driving, but it really hasn't put me in any dangerous situations. As an example, one time I was driving down a residential area and I really wasn't paying attention, but my foot was on the accelerator and when I finally came back to focus I saw that I was going at 45. If it wasn't for the fact the street was empty, it could have turned out to be a disaster.
I really don't like driving. At all. I do it because I have to. I'd much rather my more capable, less spacey ENTJ hubby drive me everywhere...lol. I've only ever been in one accident and it was really embarrassing...I had my foot on the brake & was bent over doing something and idled off into a ditch. So, yeah. I find that when I'm driving, I'm tense & try hard to focus. I can listen to music, but can't really carry on a conversation too much. I think, though that my overprotective dad who taught me to drive made me even more conscientious about my driving.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My subjective rankings based on my friends.

Ti-Doms: Best drivers.
Si-Doms: Hesitant drivers.
Ni-Doms: Spacey drivers.
Te-Doms: Aggressive but good.
Se-Doms: Aggressive and awful.
Fe-Doms: Always distracted.
Fi-Doms: Average.
Ne-Doms: Erratic and unpredictable.
I'm definitely going to agree with this. I get the WORST road rage. I swear to god I don't know if I'm going to lose my voice or murder someone, but I cannot stand other drivers. Especially people who don't use their blinker. I never know if they're changing lanes or just swerving around like an idiot.

However, I like to think I'm a decent driver. At least for driving standard, as opposed to automatic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol @ everyone thinking they're a great driver... :laughing: I feel like I get by okay, but I really dislike driving. It requires so much focus and gives me a major headache. I can't wait until cars are automated!
I really dislike driving as well, I'm really counting on Google to perfect their automated cars so I'll never have to drive again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like excitement in driving! I love playing loud music, opening the windows and enjoying the perfect sensory combo of wind in my hair+energetic music+fast movement :cool:

However, I can also get a bit aggressive behind the wheel, unfortunately, and sometimes get pissed at slow drivers who prevent me from indulging in the aforementioned pleasures!
I want to clarify my last post, I hate driving as a means of getting around. But I really enjoy driving on freeways at night time when its completely empty. Same as you, loud, upbeat music and driving really fast. There is nothing quite like that ^_^.

And Wh1zkey, you and my friend are very much alike, as you just said. For the past few months he's been hanging out with a group of car fanatics. His knowledge of cars never ceases to amaze me, he can talk about cars for hours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm ENTP

I love driving. The faster the car the more fun! However, I have to point out that I only really drive around tracks. I got my first racing license at 14 and have been competing in races regularly ever since (now I'm 18). I think I'm a pretty good driver - certainly a fast one - but I get very bored when it comes to driving on the roads. I tend to just zone out. Probably the reason why I still haven't passed my driving test haha!

I haven't given any thought, nor do I have any information, about how other types drive - or even other ENTPs.

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
I know my N is certainly a factor. But also my living area is a factor. I enjoy driving. I go the routes where I would enjoy it the most. The slower routes with more turns. I love turning. <3 I hate parking though. I don't like being around other drivers. I like to do my own thing and have a little more comfort room to drive. I also like to go routes that I previously had been on. I'm INFP btw. I know my response is different than the INFP I read.
edit: I also get no road rage at all. I'm also pretty good at driving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts