Personality Cafe banner

Personality type and learning style (tactile, visual, auditory)

19K views 53 replies 46 participants last post by  thghts 
#1 ·
Just wondering,

What's your personality type, and what type of learning style suits you best (auditory, visual, hand-on).

Like, I'm ISTJ, and I think I learn best in an auditory fashion (like hearing things helps me remember it, so studying with friends helps). I'm not very visual, as I don't think pictures and charts help me that much. I need to see the words under a graph to help me understand what the graphs are presenting, for example. But I guess in some ways I can be visual because I won't necessarily understand what's going on in a complicated discussion. I would need to read about the info and contemplate it first. I don't think I'm very hands-on, other than that writing facts helps em to remember them.

To summarize, I'd say I'm mostly auditory with some visual.

I wanted to see if tehre is a coorelation between type preference and learnign style (although this thread probably won't demonstrate correlation, at least it's an interesting discussion).

#2 ·
Well, I'm an INTP and I like to be able to try things myself. I do the typical man thing and try to build and operate things without looking at the instructions. I like to have the instructions there, as a reference, but I don't like to go by them. I find it quite easy to remember facts after hearing them as long as they're explained - I'm not going to listen to a list and remember it, but I can listen to a lecture.

#3 ·
ENTP

Discussing things usually helps me understand things better. And like Feefafo, I learn best by also being able to freely explore whatever it is that I'm trying to learn. Or if I can read about something and then either read another piece of information about it or discuss it freely with someone else, I'll probably have it down. Sometimes reading things and then just pondering them helps me understand them.

But I need complexity as that's what helps me understand things...
If I learn that, for instance, penguins live in the Antarctic, it'll be hard for me to remember it unless I have some greater context or understanding to go along with it. I could remember that best if it was explained to me why the penguins live there and what makes that the best climate for them and whatnot.

I'm tired...This may not have been completely accurate, so I may come back tomorrow and post something else lol

#4 ·
ISTP

Visual and hands-on. Someone just can't tell me, I probably won't remember. I have to read, or say during a lecture, I'll be writing notes. The combination of seeing the words and the hands-on approach of writing them out cement the concepts in my memory.

I really like being able to work things out for myself, too.

#5 ·
Visual

When I was in school, taking notes helped me the most. Teachers were mostly insignificant. I'd just read the chapter, take notes on the key points, and then rewrite those notes over and over and over.

Reactions: madhatter
#9 ·
I found that after I've taken notes that I never have to look at them again. It's like the act of writing it down seals it in my visual memory.

#8 ·
Well...

Type -> INTJ

Learning style -> Let me read what I have to know. I do best by reading first, hands-on second and auditory is dead last in that list assuming that reading falls under visual though there is a level of abstraction there.

Just to quantify this using MyPersonality, Personality Profile of JB King (Personality Type, Multiple Intelligences) :

Personality Type:
Extraverted / Introverted - 0% / 100%
Sensing / Intuition - 37% / 63%
Thinking / Feeling - 74% / 26%
Judging / Perceiving - 95% / 5%

Learning styles:
Logical/Mathematical 100%
Intrapersonal 90%
Verbal/Linguistic 70%
Visual/Spatial 45%
Naturalist 30%
Musical 30%
Interpersonal 15%
Bodily/Kinesthetic 15%

#11 ·
Auditive. =P
Writing does not help me at all, what teachers just cant understand. xD

As for sports like Karate where we have to learn a bunch of movements in order, I prefered to learn step by step instead of repeating the big thing always. However we would always do the 2nd method so I just copied on the others all the way lol...
And that's weird because the teachers were hardcore S and Me N o_O So shouldn't it be the other way around?

=o

#13 ·
I'm an ISTP and I learn visually and hands on. When I was in school, I almost never paid attention in class, I'd be reading novels, trying to take apart parts of the desk and just messing around in general because I'd just forget what the teacher was saying. I ended up pretty much reading the textbooks and teaching myself and ended up getting an 85% average for my efforts. For other stuff though, I learn by actually trying stuff out and seeing how it works. I'm very hands on when it comes to figuring stuff out outside of school to the point where I often come across as knowing more about stuff than I actually do.

Reactions: madhatter
#15 ·
Me too! I would read novels or sleep, and the majority of teachers would let me, because I was acing their classes.

#14 ·
ENFP and Visual, with Hands-on being a close second. :3

When I hear information aloud, it just plain doesn't commit to my memory very well, and sometimes during long lectures, I find myself spacing off quickly and not listening - it's much more beneficial for me to read some information in a textbook or whatever, rather than a teacher just explaining it aloud. Although, if the teacher is writing and drawing stuff on the chalkboard as a visual aid for what they're saying, then I'm much more likely to pay attention. ^^

As for the hands-on thing... it really just depends on what it is. For example, when it comes to MATH, I definitely need to try stuff out myself to work it out. ^^;; You can teach me how to do it, but I won't know if I yet fully understand it until I actually try figuring out the math problem myself!

#16 ·
INFP, I'm pretty high in all learning styles, I tend to like things reinforced with more than one style. Kinesthetic/experiential learning definitely is most exciting to me.

Reactions: MilkyWay132
#17 ·
INFP and I go for combination of auditory and visual take notes/listen to teacher, watch math example and listen to explanation. If I have to choose one, visual but I usually get too distracted for just that. I'm a bit too cautious in new territory for hands on stuff.

#18 ·
I think zoning out during boring lectures may be common to all personality types though. I hate how some of my professors spend forever trying to explain the most mundane and simple concepts in as many words as they do. Sometimes that causes me to zone out and I learn lesss than I thought I should. Other times professors don;t really get to the main point, so the lectures can be kind of pointless, and you have to go back to the bok anyhow to understand.

I don't remember everything I hear, and I do need to write down the key points from lectures. Studying with partners and verbally asking each ther questions does help, but I usually have to write down the stuff I forget.

#20 ·
I'm multisensory. I do good in any of the learning styles actually, I do better when combining two, and learn best when I use all three.

Reactions: HandiAce
#50 ·
Same here.
I'm good with all three but best when they're combined somehow.
It's probably why I did well in almost any classroom setting whether it be Math, Geography, or Tech Ed (shop class).

#22 ·
ENFP: Hands on immediately followed by visual.

#25 ·
I think the music questions warped the results for me. I thought it would be a combination of aural, visual and physical, because I seem to need a lot at once at times. But for dominant one I would have thought physical AND I apparently make a terrible INTP :p

Style Scores:

Visual

Social

Physical

Aural

Verbal

Solitary

Logical

#28 ·
#29 ·
I scored high on verbal on that test, and it isn't true. I'm very visual, but always forget names, and when concentrating forget names of common objects or the names of people I have known for years. Found biochemistry difficult as a student, as equations with words in them, I just couldn't "see", whereas I can see mathematical problems in 3D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.