Personality Cafe banner

Favourite Genre of Music

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is your personality type and what is your favourite type of music? (Yes, there's music you can like) but I mean, your very favourite genre.

Mine is 70s, 80s pop rock, alternative/indie rock/rock pop, and early-mid 00's punk/or pop punk. (And Vocaloid and Jrock, Jpop, but that's hard to explain.)

And what is your most hated type of music. Music you just can't stand.
For me its rap,hip-hop,rnb,(most) metal,heavy metal, county, and modern music, especially modern mainstream.

Just want to see if there's a blanket genre for each type.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
ISTP

My favorite genre is metal/rock. My favorite subgenres are melodic death metal, gothic metal, nu metal, alternative metal/rock, hard rock, pop punk, power metal.

I like pop music, mostly from the 80s and 2000s. I haven't really been into most of what plays the Billboard Top Charts for a few years. I also dig musicals. Classical is a genre that I appreciate but don't listen to regularly.

I can't stand electronic, rap, and country in general, but there are a few exceptions to each of those genres.

·
Registered
208 Posts
ISFP

Folk music, folk music, folk music...with some indie and rock thrown in there. My favorite artists are Neil Young, Nick Cave, Jack White, and Father John Misty. I enjoy a bit of Dylan as well.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
INTJ-T

I had to vote "Other" because there are too many genres I like to pick just one fave. Metal, Industrial, Electronia, Techno, Technofunk, Cyberpunk, Country, Bluegrass, Dance, Trance, New Wave, Synth Pop, Synthwave, Alternative, Classic Rock, Prog Rock, video game soundtracks...I could go on and on. I even like some old school Hip-Hop.

I have an aversion to gangsta rap.

Reactions: Q2112 and mushr00m

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
ISFP, and most exclusively:

Rock
Heavy metal
Rap
Hip Hop
Electronic
'90s, '00s, '10s (I listen to a lot of '90s grunge rock and East Coast '90s rap/hip hop. That's mostly what I was referring to when I said I liked those genres above, though I have exceptions for some current stuff from rap.)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
INFJ and Classical! I'll happily listen to and enjoy most other genres as well in the right situations, but they don't reach nearly the same wonderful heights for me as classical music does.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
INTJ.

I used to really like rap and still do but to a much lesser extent because I find it hilarious how confident they all try to make out they are.

But my absolutely favourite kind of music is instrumental - specifically, progressive house, drum and bass, trance, dance - anything with a nice rhythm and flow.

·
Registered
897 Posts
INFJ.

Fave genres are synthwave and vaporwave/ambient. Stuff that's dreamy and a little melancholic. But I also really enjoy future funk.

I don't like pop punk or classical. I WISH I liked classical but I like the emotion to play out slowly in my music and classical jumps around too much.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I am an INFJ and I mostly listen to western classical. However, I listen to Hindustani classical (Ghazal/Qawali) and vocal jazz on occasion.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
962 Posts
ENFJ,

I like just about anything that isn't rap, hip-hop, or "screamo" (I like the electric guitar in metal music, but when someone starts screaming, I'm out).

What I listen to really just depends on my mood.

·
Banned
3,802 Posts
ISFP

I love metal and all of its sub genres (with a few exceptions) but nothing tops doom metal for me. Especially depressive death/doom and funeral doom.

Reactions: Saira

·
Registered
151 Posts
ISFP. I like rock, punk and metal to put it super simply- I hate giving things specific genres cause it gets super messy when it comes to certain bands... And I have such an eclectic taste that it's just pointless to even try. I like most things from Devo and The B-52s to Metallica and System Of A Down but my favourite bands right now are probably Soundgarden, Tool, Slaves, Wellwater Conspiracy and Pearl Jam. I listen to tons of other stuff too, random 80s pop songs and the Butthole Surfers and stuff.
As for my least favourites, I'm not a big fan of the stuff that's been in the charts for a few years now (there's a rare exception though) and I don't like classical. I love symphonic metal, and orchestral stuff like the Elder Scrolls soundtracks, but I just can't stand classical for some reason. *shrugs*

·
Registered
ISxP 5
3,324 Posts
ISFP

I like the old school rap and hiphop, but mostly listen to either classic rock or heavy metal.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
INTJ (rock, metal and classical music).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'm all about hip-hop, rap, RnB, retro music and a good handful of pop.
I put 'other' as well for grime and garage, even though garage could be electronic. And then there's eurobeat as well.

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
INTP

I like electric, and vaporwave music. I also listen to punk rock on occasion, but for the most part I listen to vaporwave and electric music.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts