Personality Cafe banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...so this is going to be a long post, and I'm sorry in advance. I would really appreciate your feedback though. Thanks so much!!

So I've been very interested in the Myers-Briggs types for about a year now. I haven't taken the official test but I've puttered around online, taken tests and researched the types. Nearly every test I've taken has yielded INFJ, but I want to make sure of my type. I am positive, however, that I am an NF temperament because it describes me perfectly. I focus on the deeper meaning of things, and I definitely idealize my life. I constantly think about my future and am very concerned with the well-being of my friends and loved ones. I also desire to be understood and appreciated. If it helps, I also know I'm a type 4 enneagram. (4w5)

So my question here is about the extroversion/introversion and judging/perceiving dichotomies. On a superficial level, I know the different stereotypes of them, (extroverts are outgoing, introverts are quiet; perceivers are open-minded, judgers are neat) but I'm having trouble identifying myself because I have characteristics of all of them! I'll explain.

EXTRAVERSION
When I was a kid, I was seemingly very extroverted. I would talk to everybody at school and could easily strike up conversations with strangers, liked to lead others and be in the center of attention, and was always happier in the company of my friends. Then, when I was 11, I moved to a different city and started middle school. I became much more closed-off, relying on the very first people I met at my new school to be my best friends without making much of an effort to meet new people. Fast forward to now, my senior year of high school. I spend most of my free time alone in my room on my computer, and have 2-3 close friends. At school, I have a wider group of friends that I eat lunch and small-talk with, but only know on a superficial level.

With that being said, here are some things to consider about me in order to determine if I'm an introvert or extrovert.
*Most of the time I think I fall towards the middle of the spectrum, like more of an ambivert. I can manage social situations with ease and I think people feel comfortable around me and vice-versa.
*Some days I'll wake up and, without any reason, be in the most outgoing and sociable mood, conversing with everyone and being charismatic and funny, the way I act with my closest friends, but with everyone.
*I also sometimes like being the center of attention- I've tried out for a few of the school musicals hoping to get the lead part. However, nothing bothers me more than show-offs. I wouldn't mind being more noticed/appreciated from time to time, but I would hate for people to think of me as an attention-hog.
*Lastly, I don’t know where I get my energy from. While I am kind of a hermit and hesitate to go out a lot because I’m more comfortable alone, whenever I do venture out of my comfort zone, I'm immediately rewarded and invigorated. I don't really know what this says about me.

PERCEIVING/ JUDGING
So this section is going to be a lot shorter.
Basically, I'm a weird mix of both perceiving and judging! On one hand, I'm ALWAYS late. It's embarrassing, but I tend to take too long getting up or getting ready to go someplace and I'm just generally always running behind. On this note, I also have a HORRIBLE procrastination habit. It's how I manage my workload at school. I don't use my time very well and I think I tend to be more motivated under the pressure of working last-minute. However, on the flip-side, I am super neat and organized in my physical environment. I have no clutter in my room, and I tend to compulsively get rid of things I don't use or need, such as clothes I don't wear. I'm very particular about my tastes in clothes, decorations, and have definite likes/dislikes. However, I don't have this kind of assuredness when it comes to making decisions. I take forever to come to a decision and can speculate about different possibilities to no end. I'm also a perfectionist and am hardly ever happy with how things are, I think they could always be better. Finally, I love to make lists and set goals, but I hardly ever follow through with them. I'm not very good at motivating myself to do them.

That's it! Thanks so so much for reading! What do you think I am?

·
Banned
465 Posts
You should not type yourself based on four letters, they're just a code for the functions that you use. Try filling out a questionnare or looking at the 8 functions in your own time in order to accurately type yourself.
*Some* people on this forum would disagree with you on that one. But I don't. Listen to what the ahole said.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Jung himself acknowledged that most people were closer to the middle on the introversion/extraversion dimension than were on either extreme end. This observation is corroborated by modern psychology which has found that personality traits exist as normally distributed variables throughout a population.

I would suggest that you consider the possibility that your preferences for intuition and feeling are stronger than your preferences on the I/E dimension and on the J/P dimension. That said, I get a stronger Extravert vibe from you than Introvert, and I get a stronger Judging vibe than Perceiving, but not by much.

If you're interested, I'd love to see your full results, including percentages, on this quick Big 5 inventory test. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "descriptors" or "profile" you get at the end of the test. The test is more useful as an indicator of (strength of) preference, but people generally don't seem to resonate with the "profiles" you get at the end, so maybe just ignore those.

The test results are good jumping off point for discussing your preferences.

·
Banned
465 Posts
And... here comes some people. I will say, however, that I agree with Teybo that many people are ambiverts or unbalanced introverts or extroverts, socially speaking anyhow. But then, that's what the functions are useful for - if you're in the middle, you know what letter to put down based on what function is dominant. So for instance, I would probably be described socially as an ambivert, but in Jungian terms I am just an extrovert because I prefer Ne over Ti. No such thing as an ANTP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts