Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an INTJ. Sometimes ill retake the personality test and get ISTJ. Then I get INTJ again, and so forth. But none the less, I find this is an interesting topic.
Anyone else have this "Hybrid" or "Duality" going on?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Well INTJ and ISTJ are actually quite different from each other. I'd suggest checking out cognitive functions, and learning more about how you perceive the world around you, and how you use that information to make decisions. The INTJ sees the world with the Ni "filter" and Te filter to make decisions, while the ISTJ uses Si and Te respectively.

This isn't to say that every person fits neatly within one of the 16 types, but most people identify with one over the others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well INTJ and ISTJ are actually quite different from each other. I'd suggest checking out cognitive functions, and learning more about how you perceive the world around you, and how you use that information to make decisions. The INTJ sees the world with the Ni "filter" and Te filter to make decisions, while the ISTJ uses Si and Te respectively.

This isn't to say that every person fits neatly within one of the 16 types, but most people identify with one over the others.
Yes I realized this. And as far that goes it does make sense, but everytime I am to take a 16 type test the N and S functions tend to be nearly neck and neck, which I find odd. Usually, the N prevails. I just found it odd because I realize how different they are.
I just made this to see if anyone else had the same issue (Is it an issue? More of a curiosity.)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yes I realized this. And as far that goes it does make sense, but everytime I am to take a 16 type test the N and S functions tend to be nearly neck and neck, which I find odd. Usually, the N prevails. I just found it odd because I realize how different they are.
I just made this to see if anyone else had the same issue (Is it an issue? More of a curiosity.)
Lots of people have these problems, but the problem is usually the fault of the tests. Most MBTI tests suck :) If you have taken many though, the next suggestion (beyond learning about Cognitive Functions) is to simply read descriptions and see which you identify with the most.

Here are a couple cognitive function tests though, which may be helpful:

Cognitive Quiz

similarminds.com

Keys 2 Cognition

I have also heard someone talk about answering the questions "as if they were highly stressed." Part of Jungian theory is that in times of great stress, we use our "shadow functions," and identifying these may help identify your type. I've never tried this, but think I'll do that now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am 50/50 on the J/P spectrum, and fairly weak on the S. I can relate strongly to both the ESTP and ESTJ descriptions. To beat a dead horse, the only way to do it is to go by cognitive functions (not sure if I subscribe to the theory of cog. functions but whatever).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of people have these problems, but the problem is usually the fault of the tests. Most MBTI tests suck :) If you have taken many though, the next suggestion (beyond learning about Cognitive Functions) is to simply read descriptions and see which you identify with the most.

Here are a couple cognitive function tests though, which may be helpful:

Cognitive Quiz

similarminds.com

Keys 2 Cognition

I have also heard someone talk about answering the questions "as if they were highly stressed." Part of Jungian theory is that in times of great stress, we use our "shadow functions," and identifying these may help identify your type. I've never tried this, but think I'll do that now.

Yea that seems to make sense. I took the COGNITIVE, one a few times and my top result is INTP, the "thinkers". Which makes perfect sense seeing as I dont believe there is an ultimate right and wrong or good and evil, so I practically made the entire thing philosophical lol.
Im just setting it to unsure.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I am 50/50 on the J/P spectrum, and fairly weak on the S. I can relate strongly to both the ESTP and ESTJ descriptions. To beat a dead horse, the only way to do it is to go by cognitive functions (not sure if I subscribe to the theory of cog. functions but whatever).
Well the way I look at it is, MBTI theory in general is clearly not 100% accurate. Nor are theories encompassing Cognitive Functions. However both do recognize (and accurately "prove") that most people fall under 16 categories which can greatly help individuals learn about their behavior or those around them.

Yea that seems to make sense. I took the COGNITIVE, one a few times and my top result is INTP, the "thinkers". Which makes perfect sense seeing as I dont believe there is an ultimate right and wrong or good and evil, so I practically made the entire thing philosophical lol.
Im just setting it to unsure.
Here is a description that matches me almost perfectly. If you don't mesh with it at least 75%, I'd look at other INTP descriptions and then even other non-INTP descriptions. ISTJs and INTPs both share Ti primary functions. What were your results?

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Pretty sure I'm an ENTP, but I often test INTP or ENFP. I definitely have overdeveloped I and F functions due to some pretty intense trials during my childhood and pretty much my entire life. But the more I develop myself and get my health back, the more I seem like just an ENTP.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I am an INTJ. Sometimes ill retake the personality test and get ISTJ. Then I get INTJ again, and so forth. But none the less, I find this is an interesting topic.
No offense, but INTJs are very rare, which per se decreases chances of a person being one if one doubts it.

Apart from the cognitive tests you were provided with, I strongly recommended that you try doing intelligence test. The higher your score, the greater the chance you're an INTJ (because they tend to be very intelligent and more intelligent on average than most of other types).

I turned out to be: INTJ, INTP, ISTJ and INFP. Pretty messed up, huh?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
No offense, but INTJs are very rare, which per se decreases chances of a person being one if one doubts it.

Apart from the cognitive tests you were provided with, I strongly recommended that you try doing intelligence test. The higher your score, the greater the chance you're an INTJ (because they tend to be very intelligent and more intelligent on average than most of other types).

I turned out to be: INTJ, INTP, ISTJ and INFP. Pretty messed up, huh?
Sounds like a stereotype to me...I'd watch out for that. There could easily be a "dumb" INTJ and a "smart" ISTJ.
Depends on the area too.
INTJs usually pick up an intellectual hobby or two and hone to death with Ni.
ISTJs are more likely to focus on other practical aspects of their life. Like personal finance maybe...setting up their careers.
So depending on what you ask for, either one could be smart.

Reactions: Sensational

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,417 Posts
I've decided to be an INFP, while that reflects how I act and think the most. There's a lot of both S and N, and both T and F, inside of me. If anything, I am a dreamer, and the last thing I am is a doer (nor a creator). I naturally see and remember things via logic and all, and also spot a lot of things very good, but what decides how I act is caused by my feelings and intuition. I am a very sensitive person, that's for sure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You are right, but INTJs that I know scored higher than average on standard (non-verbal) IQ tests.

It is quoted that of those with an INTJ profile, some 37% fall within the top 2% of IQ measures.
INTJ Personality Type
The other 63% of INTJs are unaccounted for. Do they fall within the next highest bracket? Or were their scores average? No idea.
I do agree that the INTJs I know ARE incredibly smart, but I'm just not sure intelligence testing can be correlated strongly enough to MBTI.

Edit: Also (not directed at you, Aenye. general contribution to the thread)
Focus on what is natural, not what you are skilled at.
You can be good at many things. That is not what MBTI is attempting to pinpoint. It's your initial preference. Some people forgo their initial preference in favor of traits they value more. They may not be as off-the-bat good at it as a Dom function would be. Doesn't mean they can't eventually be on par though.

Reactions: Chesire Tower

·
Lotus Jester
8,877 Posts
Well I have gotten scores of INTP, INFJ, INFP, ENTP and INTJ respectively; although on Socionics, I have gotten ILI, IEI, LII, ILE, EII.

·
Registered
92 Posts
According to over half the tests I take, I'm an INTP/J.

Actually an INFP based on my own research. Just have a developed thinking side and have developed an attitude of just getting stuff done when I can.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
People sometimes think I'm an ENTP when I'm being friendly or ENTJ when I'm being serious. So I guess there are some out there who would mistake me for INTP as well but in actuality I'm an INTJ. In Socionics I've been typed ILE(ENTp), ESE(ESFj), LIE(ENTj) and IEE(ENFp). *shrug*

My signature has all of my correct information on my typings though. ILI(INTp) or INTJ in MBTI.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I usually get ENTP, ESTP or ENTJ in tests.
Sometimes INTP as well.

In socionics I've always got either ILE or ILI.

·
Registered
975 Posts
This sort of thinking normally comes from an improper understanding of how MBTI works. You cannot be more than one type; it simply isn't possible.

Remember... the tests can only tell you what percentage you are likely to be. So if you get 51% N, the test says, based on your answers, it is 51% certain you're an iNtuitive. Not that you prefer intuition 51% and sensing 49%. That's not how it works.

@Gables J and P aren't like S/N or T/F -- they determine which functions you have and I/E determines the order of preference. Even if you relate to descriptions for both ESTP and ESTJ (two very different types), you cannot possess both sets of functions. They're opposites when it comes to functions... that's what the J/P scale shows.
ESTP = Se/Ti/Fe/Ni
ESTJ = Te/Si/Ne/Fi
Completely different function wise.

Whether or not you subscribe to the idea of cognitive functions is irrelevant. Using the MBTI system, which is what we're discussing, this is how things work.

Reactions: Sensational
1 - 18 of 18 Posts