Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't really find a thread on this so if there already is one my apologies. :frustrating:

Anyways, I was wondering whether anyone feels like they are a completely different personality type (mbti) on the internet then they are irl or if they know someone like this. How common/rare do you think this is? If you think this does happen, what characteristic is more likely to be expressed that is different than irl. Now I am not talking about ideas/quirks that people may hide but I am talking about showing more Te rather than Ti or Fi rather than Fe. Something like that. Thoughts? Does anyone do this?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well, the internet is basically like a society without law, virtues, and values.

I notice this quite a bit on this subforum especially. Quite a few INTPs are complete jackasses who insist on correcting little mistakes others make, and making insulting comments while doing it. I honestly doubt INTPs would talk to their friends that way in real life, as I would think that would make us have absolutely zero friends. However, because there is no consequence to our actions online, we truly see who people are underneath.

Just because you look meek and quiet in real life does not make you gentle and kind.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Well, the internet is basically like a society without law, virtues, and values.

I notice this quite a bit on this subforum especially. Quite a few INTPs are complete jackasses who insist on correcting little mistakes others make, and making insulting comments while doing it. I honestly doubt INTPs would talk to their friends that way in real life, as I would think that would make us have absolutely zero friends. However, because there is no consequence to our actions online, we truly see who people are underneath.

Just because you look meek and quiet in real life does not make you gentle and kind.
Yeah, it's annoying.

INTPs on the internet also have a tendency to think they have all the answers to other peoples' problems.

I think I'm probably more enthusiastic on the internet, and crack more stupid jokes, and play around by posting irrelevant things because I'm bored, but that's it...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Online, I think I'm more rude, profane and less serious, but I think I'm basically the same.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Im not sure. Since I tend to focus on the negatives rather than the positives, as they are more clear in my mind, I suppose I often act as an ESFJ without realising it, but I would hazard that most of the time I just type overly-complicated posts to make up for my lack of verbal eloquence.

Personally if someone met me in real life I doubt they would call me an INTP, I just have this hunch about it. I tend to hide my intelligent, (hah me intelligent as if), side a little, I dont even realise im doing it sometimes.

Reactions: slyspy

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I probably come across as more ENTP or ENFP on the forums, but I would probably not bother to involve myself in other people's lives or give sympathy to complete strangers IRL. I think this is a good site for developing functions you want to develop or at least testing out things that have less direct consequence. I've learned a ton the past few months personally.

·
Registered
525 Posts
On the internet I mostly use Ne, except for this forum.
This . . :crazy:

Some other people worded it a bit more elaborately and eloquently further in this thread, but atm I like the pure simplicity of this answer :D

The internet often was/is my Ne playground. A time to unleash that inner jester (or madman) that is otherwise buried behind a huge defensive wall of I and T.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I feel like I'm a lot more Ti-heavy on the internet, but more Ne-heavy in real life. My communication style with friends is very rambly, and I cause many "wtf-where-did-that-come-from-I-don't-understand-your-train-of-thought faces", whereas I'm kind of brief online.

Also, oddly, I'm nicer on the internet than in real life. Maybe it's because I'm less likely to think before I talk in person. I hardly ever offend anyone here. When I offend people, it's usually because I blurted something out without thinking first...which can't happen online.

Apparently, I'm more feelery on the internet too. A few people on PerC think I'm a feeler, but when I brought up the idea of being a feeler to people I know in real life who are familiar with the theory, they just laughed at me.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

I absolutely agree with this. When no one can look them in the eye, some people really show their true selves.

ETA: I think this applies to very shy people also; the anonymity and privacy the internet offers can allow people to open up and be more social.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm nicer online because I find it's easier for me to act that way when I don't need to worry about my body language/face matching it. I've tried being nice irl, but people then think I'm being an ass or mocking them or sarcasm or just plain weird. My efforts are unappreciated.

I generally don't mind being nice because I see no reason to be mean. I just have no idea how to...execute it properly. =/

And...well...people tend to be assholes online for no reason. I'm not here to pick on people to feel better about myself nor am I here to unleash my inner frustrations.

I'm here to lurk. Because I'm anti-social even online.:dry:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To answer my own question:

I would classify myself as having multiple personality disorder online. I guess I pretty much try out all of my cognitive functions. I am probably more likely to express my true emotions/opinions on a subject whether it be excitement, annoyance, or frustration over an issue that I particularly care/don't care for. I think I feel more comfortable using Fe and Te online. I know I can be a lot more confident though I don't always choose to be.

It is interesting that some people have said that you are more likely to show your 'true side'. I personally think quite the opposite. I think you are more likely to show how you feel or what you think but I also think your personality can change entirely online and you can put on a different persona (meaning you can be an entirely different person or even different people). It is easier to mask yourself online than in real life and only show what you want to show to people. I suppose it could go either way. Some are more likely to show who they truly are and others show who they want to be but never could be.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I think I use my Ne a lot in here too and sometimes more Fe. Ti is the reasoning and the seasoning (im sorry that didnt make sense at all but it rhymed)
My Ne irl stays more contained, Ti and Fe are "seen" in everyday situations for me. Ne always comes out at least once a day though.

edit:plus if i acted like the ways i do on the internet no one would take me seriously. im actually more reserved

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
@alphacat I think you have zero friends.

Internuts

The phenomenon that occurs when someone becomes a badass when addressing others on a message board.

It is a common practice for the reticent, meek, and cowardly to make bold statements, on the internet, knowing there is no way to be held accountable.
See? Just that easy. Still love ya @alphacat

·
Registered
243 Posts
Online I don't have to dumb things down when discussing topics or hide my less socially acceptable opinions and interests, as long as I remain atleast semi-anonymous.

Reactions: nadjasix and slyspy
1 - 20 of 20 Posts