Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which types do you think would be best able to handle a crisis situation (natural disaster, robbery, etc.)? Which types do you think you do the worst?

I think that an XXTP would be able to handle a situation the best. E?I and S?n, im not too sure about those.

1,237 Posts
I get the feeling an ESTP would do very well. A powerful Se backed up by Ti would mean they take in everything about their surroundings at that moment in time and make logical decisions based on that.
While an ENTP would be able to come up with good solutions and ideas and intuitively foresee possible consequences, they would probably skim over crucial parts of the environment that a Se dom wouldn't miss, and a mind that works in the moment I think would be an advantage. Anyway, an intelligent ESTP should be able to effectively crate good ideas too.
I don't think being an introvert would be a help, they're too inwardly focused and may have a harder time making decisions based on the environment around them.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Nardi seems to think Se-doms do the best in these situations. And I think if you look at the types of occupations many Se-doms take (like being in the military, or athletics, etc) you see them in 'crisis' type situations where quick almost instinctual awareness of what's going on is required. If you think about playing football, for instance, once the ball is snapped, the players are basically in a kind of crisis mode (we know its a game, but there is the very real threat of injury to the player so the brain has to be almost automatic -- the intuitive might get sacked on every play).

I would also venture to guess Te-types make good crisis managers because of the downplay of self and the meticulous attention to establishing order and efficiency. I think if you ever need someone to clean up a mess, a Te-type might be the answer (certainly not a Ne-dom).

·
Registered
878 Posts
In the immediate moment I don't think any type is 'better' than any other at handling it. I've talked to ISFJ, ESTJ, INTJ, ENFP, INTP and INFJ who have been through crises (3 different natural disasters) and all of them said that in the moment you focus down to the immediate, deal with the one thing in front of you then the next then the next.

Now, longer term some types may have more difficultly dealing with the aftermath, but right when it's happening and in the few hours afterwards people pretty much react the same way. Some of those people did crack under the stress afterwards (INFJ particularly) but every single one of them faced the challenge of the moment with a very pragmatic approach, just dealt with it and moved on to the next 'crisis'.

Reactions: Owfin

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I would also venture to guess Te-types make good crisis managers because of the downplay of self and the meticulous attention to establishing order and efficiency. I think if you ever need someone to clean up a mess, a Te-type might be the answer (certainly not a Ne-dom).
As an INTJ (so, fundamentally, Te aux.), I tremendously agree with this idea, although I suspect that the XNTJ types would generally be better in crisis situations than the XSTJ types, since NTJs have Se (better at reacting in the moment than Si), and at least ISTJs have inferior Ne in addition to this, which tends to make them prone to catastrophizing in situations which are unfamiliar to them (I can't emphasize enough how bad my ISTJ dad is with handling issues that come up on the fly that require attention to possibilities outside of his most comfortable frame of reality (dom. Si) - he completely freaks out at me if he can't deal with issues that might come up if I'm up "too late" doing homework before he takes a shower for some reason, LOL - he tends to be extremely anxious about possible outcomes of new situations - I tend to point out conditions of the environment that make doing something new not so bad, and he still can't take me seriously - Having two Si dom parents (my mom's an ISFJ), I've seen more than enough futuristic catastrophizing on both of their parts - that's what drives me the most nuts about both of them - they tend to make me really insecure when they act like this).

·
Registered
878 Posts
he completely freaks out at me if he can't deal with issues that might come up if I'm up "too late" doing homework before he takes a shower for some reason, LOL
This is not a crisis situation. In a real crisis, believe me, Si reacts exactly the way other functions do. There is, literally, nothing else to do. Life is VERY simple in a crisis and reactions become equally simplified.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This is not a crisis situation. In a real crisis, believe me, Si reacts exactly the way other functions do. There is, literally, nothing else to do. Life is VERY simple in a crisis and reactions become equally simplified.
Yeah, I believe you. Your last point is very well put. I think the thing about categorizing types and crisis situations is that people are often going to act in ways that they might not be able to premeditate if the crisis is severe enough (depends on the situation) - I've totally given up on predicting how I will respond to any crisis, unless the conditions of the situation are very clear to me - otherwise, I've had terrible experiences in the past predicting crises (basically, whatever I consider a crisis). I do believe that any type is equipped in so many ways for handling so many different types of crises - this definitely transcends type too (psychological defense mechanisms clicking - this is soooo much more significant than type in this discussion, past experiences, etc.), all on a evolutionary level. I'm pretty much just playing with typological principles and real life observations at this point to come with anything worth talking about on this topic (honestly, I don't see anything much coming out of this topic, unless people bring real life into it).

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm pretty much just playing with typological principles and real life observations at this point to come with anything worth talking about on this topic
Even Si + inferior Ne's habit of catastrophising comes in handy in these situations. To give a concrete example, because that's how I roll, my country is prone to earthquakes so it's a known threat. This means I have spent far too much of my life thinking about what I would do if one hit. I have planned in detail what I would do from the moment one started to several hours later. It was very much 'worst case scenario' stuff and people would mock 'don't be silly, it will never be that bad' but it meant that when the earthquake did hit I was a) able to immediately do what was necessary for immediate survival because I'd planned and prepared for so long and b) able to deal perfectly easily with the aftermath (physically, emotionally is a very different story) because it was not as bad as I'd expected it to be. When you have catastrophised for the worst, the awful-but-not-as-awful-as-planned-for experience is, in fact, easy to deal with. Your parents' catastrophising could be just what they need to deal really well if a crisis hits :happy:

I do still think that all types will come to this ability to react to the situation in their own ways, but I did find it interesting that all of the people I have spoken tom about three very different events describe different experiences but very similar reactions, even if they got to those reactions from different places.

Reactions: JungyesMBTIno

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I agree. The inferior function can be very positive also, which is something people tend to forget. I've seen my parents use it well also, but like any inferior function in anyone, it's where their insecurities tend to manifest the most around.

·
Registered
34 Posts
hmm not sure about after the crisis happens. but I know from experience that I'd be able to handle a fire. I was really amazed when I did too. A fire started in my grandmas bathroom and everyone was panicking but I put it out. it was really weird though cause I didnt even think. I just went straight to put it out the second they said that there was a fire. i really didnt even know that I knew how to put one out either. It was as if something took over my body and did it for me. My brother is always telling me that I should be a firefighter cause I dont fear fire. I actually use to play with it a lot as a kid lol. I was fascinated by it. No, It wasn't me who set my grandmas bathroom on fire either! it was my little sister. I have no idea how but she said that she accidentally put her clothes on the candle. As for what wouldve happened if that fire spread and burned down the place, i have no idea what I would do but I know for sure that if a robber comes, i will put up a fight.

Reactions: asewland

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting replies.
We had a minor earthquake last summer on the Eastern Seaboard. I was on the computer when it occurred. My mom didn't notice the shaking till I told her. At that point, she started freaking out became confused. I instantly took control of the situation and told her we needed to go downstairs and head to the large doorway. In retrospect, I was wrong about my decision (never go to the basement during an earthquake :p) but in the moment I was completely cool-headed and made my decision instantly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts