Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the types that will be able to deal better under a situation of high stress such as:
-physical torture or physical abuse?
-psychological torture or psychological abuse?

What are the types that will be able to get over it faster and without suffering much from post-traumatic disorders or anxieties, and deal remarkably well while being tortured?
What types would be the most vulnerable and suffer the most during and after the torture?

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Um, all people can be harmed. My ISTJ grandfather had some....issues...after fighting in two or three wars, and being poisoned by some bad whiskey on a Navy ship in Japan. But he never gave up, always performed well, was extremely hard-working, and succeeded at what he went for. But the man still had some PTSD or something.

So ...in conclusion, everyone is human. ExTJs actually might fare the best since they are Fi inferior, and their Fi is shielded better than IxTJs, though IxTJs *can* sometimes seem like robots, they really have mushy insides. But no one is going to escape completely unscathed, I don't think. ESTP males seem pretty tough to me, too.

Reactions: L

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Yea I'd say a Se-dom would be pretty tough in terms of being able to take the actual pain without much mental incapacitation. Si doms might sustain the longest-term mental damage though (they might never recover). I think INJs would probably be the most freaked out at the threat of being physically tortured because of inferior-Se.

Psychological torture is a little different because different people will respond to different things. For me as an INFJ the threat of bodily harm is the worst form of torture there is. But an INTP might well be tortured psychologically in some other way. I would think affiliative types like ENFs would have a very hard time with isolation.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Yea I'd say a Se-dom would be pretty tough in terms of being able to take the actual pain without much mental incapacitation. Si doms might sustain the longest-term mental damage though (they might never recover). I think INJs would probably be the most freaked out at the threat of being physically tortured because of inferior-Se.
I thought the opposite...I tend to think of martyrs as INFJs and INFPs...these people who live in their head so much they want to transcend their physical bodies. I've seen so many INFx types who say they're demi-sexual or asexual or they're these really ascetic "mind over matter" or "spirit only" types...I think those kind of people would withstand physical torture extremely well if they had this concrete vision of their moral cause or their god or whatever.

ESTPs seem pretty tough to me though, like the physical harm would not affect them as much psychologically in a lasting way.

Psychological torture is a little different because different people will respond to different things. For me as an INFJ the threat of bodily harm is the worst form of torture there is. But an INTP might well be tortured psychologically in some other way. I would think affiliative types like ENFs would have a very hard time with isolation.
I honestly think the military is primarily made up of STJs, STPs, and NTJs. So therefore I tend to equate all of them with a certain mental (if not physical) toughness.

This is where I base my answers.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
INFJs are shit talking pansies. (and I am one). They would be the FIRST to curl up and cry if someone came after them with physical torture. You know how many INFJs talk a big game and then run from the anesthetic shot or hate the dentist. I, for one, would honestly rather die than have to experience some Saw Movie-like experience (I can't even stand to watch scenes from horror movies - the barb-wire impalement scene at the end of Silent Hill still creeps me out). And I nearly vomit anytime someone mentions The Human Centipede (as well any decent human being should).

All that transcendental talk is just a way of saying "I have no honest control of my physicality so I pretend it doesn't exist." I hear so many INJs with that inferior-Se say stuff like "punch me and i'll punch you harder." More like they'll try to manipulate you out of fighting or withdraw looong before a punch ever gets thrown.

I think you're right. SJs and SPs do better. I think Si-doms might get through it but be really emotionally and mentally compromised. I think intuitives are more freaked out by what could happen than what actually happens (the build up and not knowing what would happen would probably drive Ni/Ne doms nuts especially if the torturer started playing mind games). NTJ is interesting, I'm not sure how they'd react. NTJ's I would guess are often not the types to be on the front lines, much more with a big picture/command disposition so their approach might be very different (I get the sense that an SP might actually do better than an NTJ who hasn't seen a lot of actual combat). Kinda like a detective versus a beat cop.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I don't know about other ENTPs, but I do know that I've sustained physical injuries that have made bystanders cringe in pain and I've gotten up and walked away. I've also watched other people completely breakdown over injuries that would barely slow me down.

I've also watched people go through "psychological traumas" that I wouldn't have even considered all that traumatic. I've seen a lot of soldiers coming back with severe PTSD, but honestly it never bothered me being over there after I got home. I was pretty hyper-vigilant for a few months after I got back, but I never had any kind of depression or anxiety or anything. I was never actually in combat, but I was close and I don't think it would have been any different psychologically if I was.

I think most EXTPs can take extreme amounts of physical and psychological trauma if need be. Ti gives us a fantastic ability to compartmentalize stress and Pe (Se/Ne) is great at adapting to ever changing circumstances. I'm betting IXTPs can probably take an obnoxious amount of psychological stress as well, maybe even more than EXTPs, but they're not as likely to be as physical so they probably aren't as likely to stand up to the same amount of physical stress as the extroverts.

Reactions: Dark Romantic

·
Registered
477 Posts
Show me a person who can sit down in a chair wearing shoes and socks with their hands clasped together in a relaxed position and keeping a neutral face while suffering from a toe/foot cramp.
And then respond to the question "Are you alright?" - "Yes i am quite alright thank-you"

They would be the sort of person who could withstand a lot

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Show me a person who can sit down in a chair wearing shoes and socks with their hands clasped together in a relaxed position and keeping a neutral face while suffering from a toe/foot cramp.
And then respond to the question "Are you alright?" - "Yes i am quite alright thank-you"

Yup. Right up there with guy who gets the root canal with no anesthetic.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Speaking in terms of physical pain: I have a very high tolerance. I think, in my entire life (well, beginning from the point that I can actually remember) I have only cried once due to physical pain - and that was when I was about 8 years old and a [bigger] girl unexpectedly pushed me into the corner of a wall, fell on top of me, and messed my wrist up. At the same time, I [strongly] fear letting myself look weak in any way whatsoever, so I kind of have to appear strong even if I'm feeling some sort of pain.

My ISTP brother is a lot like me. He can handle extreme amounts of physical pain (psychological is a completely different story, though), but he doesn't like appearing weak or vulnerable.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

Yup. Right up there with guy who gets the root canal with no anesthetic.
Been there, done that on both accounts.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I honestly think the military is primarily made up of STJs, STPs, and NTJs. So therefore I tend to equate all of them with a certain mental (if not physical) toughness.

This is where I base my answers.
The way I felt about forced military service was that it was a form of slavery. I did get off the hook as that year there were an unpresedented number of volunteers due to an increment in unemployment. I would have fared badly as I have no respect for superiors that don't deserve respect. I would also have had problems with physical contact with men e.g. man to man combat. I can of course not speak for all INTJs but personally I would've preferred solitary confinement.
On another note I rarely used anesthetics at the dentist - even as a small kid.

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
The way I felt about forced military service was that it was a form of slavery. I did get off the hook as that year there were an unpresedented number of volunteers due to an increment in unemployment. I would have fared badly as I have no respect for superiors that don't deserve respect. I would also have had problems with physical contact with men e.g. man to man combat. I can of course not speak for all INTJs but personally I would've preferred solitary confinement.
On another note I rarely used anesthetics at the dentist - even as a small kid.
I know a definite INTJ who wanted to go into the military and did, and I'm quite certain that many military higher-ups who are responsible for strategics are INTJs. Perhaps some military-oriented INTJs are closer to be ISTJs, but I think definitely that INTJs with a lot of Fi are going to be resistant to military probably in the way a lot of xxFPs are...I don't know of many xxFPs who know and want to be in the military, but I do know one ENFP and she's kind of ESTJ-ish...like you can tell she uses a lot of Ne/Te or something. Perhaps ENTJs are better suited to it than INTJs, dunno.

INTJs are probably highly likely to go into things like the FBI and the KGB and the CIA. Maybe more so that than the military. The military always makes me think of STJs, but I'm sure there are quite a few STPs up in there as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While I really dislike even thinking about this, it is an interesting question about the breaking point of people with different temperaments. I'm an INTJ and while I'm not sure how I would react to the psychological part, I have had my share of painful accidents that required me to pull myself up and take myself to the hospital. While this is not something I enjoy or even take pride in (I Ishould have seen the hazard before the accident), I will say I am good at disassociating myself with the physical pain and thinking clearly enough to get help.

I wouldn't say I'm better at this than any other type as I would have to walk in their shoes, but the whole "retreating to your happy place" while you take baby steps to the emergency room is helpful.

·
Banned
440 Posts
I have an ISFP grandmother. Bear Grylls has absolutely NOTHING on her. She's walked over 1000 miles at gunpoint, spent months in a Siberian concentration camp, sailed to Iran and contracted malaria 3 times, gave up her dream of being a doctor to look after the rest of her family, had a hysterectomy, had breast cancer, raised several children/grandchildren and she's still extremely kind and loving, always wanting to help everyone. Seriously amazing person. :proud:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think the istp would be the best equipped for being tortured. The reason being, they are good at finding "bright spots". I was just reading a few posts in their forum, and one guy found pleasure in shaving. They have a subtle optimism about them. In addition to this, they are really good adapters.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
INTP

I grew up with a brother, who now that I am seldom near or dealing with him, I now see was very abusive. Secret Police? Check! Extralegal authority? Check! Constant surveillance? Check! Lack of rights? Check! Physical violence? Does it count as abnormally violent if I considered a good day one where I didn't get any black bruises from a beating? Psychological abuse? Constantly afraid and distrustful of people, subject to guilt attacks, constantly afraid that you might be attacked, constant insults and threats, and frequent but never honored promises.

I managed to survive quite a lot of psychological torture. I had to make sadistic choices, always agree with a vindictive bully, always appear happy, and never tell anyone what I was actually feeling. I also had to do whatever was demanded of me; what might appear to be a request on the surface normally was a very cogent order. I had no sort of privacy or protection and anything could result in a beating. Sometime, I would be informed that I had pissed my brother off, but I never knew when the reprisal would come. I might get smacked across the face now, or my brother might wait until I came out of the shower and then forced me to clamp my hands over the towel heater. I could never trust anyone at school with anything, because I never knew what he might find out. I could whisper a joke to someone in class and end up being interrogated and beaten for it four weeks later. I never knew what would provoke an attack. What invited a grueling beatdown one day might have not gotten any notice yesterday or never get another reaction again. Backlash was never sensible or proportionate to anything. One day I could get just hit in the arm a few times for laughing at a joke on TV, but another time I might end up black and blue in several places and have the wind kicked out of me for giving him a soda which sprayed a few bubbles on the couch after he jerked it from my hands, shook it a bit, and then suddenly opened it. And a couple more charming details: I was actually bound to things a few times and then beaten on and off for hours on end, and on two occasions, I was actually immobilized and waterboarded. I also recount being locked outside in the cold for several hours, being forced to hold blocks of ice with my bare hands, and stand in front of him without guarding myself or shrinking away for extended periods of time and let him land hard blows on me wherever he wanted. Oh, and get this: nothing I endured actually hurt, so I was lying or being dramatic about everything.

And that's the stuff that was done to me by my brother. I experienced worse pain than that due to medical problems. Ever had pain so bad that even with the highest dose of morphine you couldn't notice any difference whatsoever? I had to deal with that several times before I was 13. I can endure my pain. Oh, and to cap it all off, he hit me when I wouldn't stop screaming from those pains and told me that I was just lying or imagining it.

I physically survived with surprisingly little scaring. Emotionally, the damage is there. I still compulsively lock my door, do all my internet stuff in incognito mode, get tense whenever somebody knock on my door, sometimes flinch out of habit when talking with other people, and I am reluctant to trust others with personal invitation or anything past necessary pleasantries and necessary communications.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.