Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a little set back earlier today while applying at a local sports store online. After uploading my profile online and filling out an extensive application, I was than redirected to a mandatory quiz I had to take in order to finish the application process. The questions seemed pretty familiar seeing as I had taken the Myers Brigg Personality Test multiple times. The only difference was the question were workplace related.
Personally, I have never heard of company's making a personality test a mandatory aspect of an application process for part time work :/ Long story short, I filled it out but it made me feel slightly self conscious and discouraged.... it left me wondering if they were looking for someone with a certain personality type to fill the position. It's a little forward as well.
Has anybody else had this happen to them and did it leave you feeling similar?

·
Registered
312 Posts
You've never gotten those before? I can't seem to find anywhere that doesn't use these tests. But, yeah, they are filtering out certain personality types. I've never been able to get a job that required these tests for the application process. I've tried being honest, answering the opposite of what I want to answer, and answering what I think they want to hear. I wish there was just a "I will do whatever you want as long as you pay me" checkbox.

At this point, if I'm told to apply online, I rarely bother anymore. I know they're going to trash my application without actually looking at it. And yet everyone I've worked for ends up raving about me.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Yes, I've filled out several of these, especially at retail and other service-oriented jobs; they do it to screen out candidates. I always fill them out dishonestly because I can kind of see what answers they're looking for. So they aren't all that great at really understanding a person.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've never taken an MBTI-style personality test to get a job. I have taken some really obvious "personality tests", with questions like "Is it okay to steal from your workplace if the item is under $5?" but that's it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I hate the "ethics" test given on job applications. you can't answer them honestly; you need to tell them what they want to hear

·
Registered
230 Posts
What personality types are generally considered "desirable" in the workplace? If you're given one of those tests on an application, should you just answer all the questions as estj or something?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
What personality types are generally considered "desirable" in the workplace? If you're given one of those tests on an application, should you just answer all the questions as estj or something?
I imagine it depends on the role.

Is an easily bored INTP really going to survive in an occupation founded on repetition?
Is an ISTJ going to enjoy working in a position that involves changing and adapting your work style and communication methods on a day by day basis?

Is an ESFJ going to enjoy working in a position that requires complete autonomy?
Is an INTJ going to be a long-lasting, superstar car salesperson?

I'm not suggesting these types can't do the job.

I'm suggesting employers might be seeking types that match the job for the long term re: satisfaction etc - so they don't just wind up having to begin the hiring process again, say.. after the ENTP they hired to stack shelves and only stack shelves, starts to get depressed that nobody cares about his killer ideas for a new marketing campaign for the franchise, and just stops coming into work as he just feels deflated and suffocated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts