Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i've noticed that I'm not entirely my own person...I find that instead of allowing myself to react and feel things as myself, I tend to mimic other people, either people I know or characters from TV. For example, recently, I needed to get some stuff done so I channeled a character that gets stuff done. I've also channeled emotions from other people and characters that i've seen. Basically, I channel a lot of things or become someone else instead of allowing myself to experience them. Sorry if I didn't quite explain it well, but I tried.

I don't understand what's happening to me or what this means or is.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, this happens to me as well. But yeah I'm still trying to figure out why.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you mean like a role model? As in, you need to do something so you think about what someone you respect/admire might do in that situation, and actively try to be more like that person?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no,Pup, it's more like I save a personality/reaction for later when it might be of use. it's really difficult to explain...

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's the same for me. Usually I tend to mimic the people I'm talking to, which may be why I'm better on one-on-one conversations than on group conversations.

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
Hmmm... that's kinda interesting.
I don't do that at all. It seems a little Fe-ish to me, or perhaps as though you are in a loop as your Fi's not where it should be.

Fi's all about internal feelings. The choices you make are based internally what you feel. Right and wrong, adhered to your own perspective on those matters; unable to be influenced by anyone else. Sometimes it takes some time to ruminate on things--to interpret my feelings on a certain subject--but I'm almost never swayed by the feelings or perspectives of others. I'm impacted only by those closest to me, and I can normally only rationalize my reactions after they happen. Now it gets blurry--because Fi can also agree with the general consensus. But it's because you as an individual believe in something or agree with something.

Sometimes I lack opinions on certain subjects because my Se and Te likes things to be backed up by fact. So I need time to decide for myself--and I won't take a particular stance. But even that is based on my own conviction and level of judgment. It's all internally done and structured.

But again, everyone's different. It's just something I can't particularly relate to, and I've noticed Fe-using friends expressing similar sentiments. Then again, like I said before; could just be human nature.

·
Registered
993 Posts
same. i think this doesn't seem very much like Fi or ISFP's in general........

i mean Fi itself means to be completely genuine to oneself. Fi does usually feel very uncomfortable when they aren't being true to themselves. ISFP's as a whole is genuine to oneself ( or at least should be....)

but then again there is always exceptions just like heartofpompeii said.

i do however suggest you fill out a questionnaire in the "what's my personality type" section because that way you don't have a personal bias.

It's how i found my true type.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
same. i think this doesn't seem very much like Fi or ISFP's in general........

i mean Fi itself means to be completely genuine to oneself. Fi does usually feel very uncomfortable when they aren't being true to themselves. ISFP's as a whole is genuine to oneself ( or at least should be....)

but then again there is always exceptions just like heartofpompeii said.

i do however suggest you fill out a questionnaire in the "what's my personality type" section because that way you don't have a personal bias.

It's how i found my true type.
I've done like 3 of them with varying responses....but i'll do one more

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've done like 3 of them with varying responses....but i'll do one more
well you have to compare yourself to the type you think you are and study it very closely and look deep into it. and compare yourself with the others types that you think are have a possibility of being.

i didn't just accept that i am an ISFP because someone on the "what's my personality type" told me i was lol that'd be a very stupid thing to do lol. ( not saying you are stupid or anything.)

oh and also take the test from "celebritytypes.com" too. (it'll help) (Jung Type Test)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the closest I can estimate myself is Se-Fe, but that doesn't exist....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So, i've noticed that I'm not entirely my own person...I find that instead of allowing myself to react and feel things as myself, I tend to mimic other people, either people I know or characters from TV. For example, recently, I needed to get some stuff done so I channeled a character that gets stuff done. I've also channeled emotions from other people and characters that i've seen. Basically, I channel a lot of things or become someone else instead of allowing myself to experience them. Sorry if I didn't quite explain it well, but I tried.

What is happening is that you are probably in a phase of life (relatively young, twenties thirties perhaps) where you are falling prey to your inferior function. The inferior function, in your case extraverted thinking manifests itself in a way that being unable to quite define what you are feeling internally, instead your unconscious thinking is a slave to objective reality in terms of facts (or what you perceive as facts). You see something that works. Your way does not work - it only leads you into trouble. You assume that the facts as they present themselves on TV seem to work - the people around that character seem to get along with the character, seem to regard the character as being a source of undisputed truth - and you assume that guise when your dominant Fi does not work (or rather you perceive it as not working). It might help you to know that even Fi, when it falls prey to ego can become self-love. A lot of INFP/ISFPs who look like they don't care about anybody, who are cold, who admire themselves (the subject) above all else are probably slaves to their ego. However, in general you might want to work out your own subjective feeling even when it does not match facts and reality although only you may be able to tell the difference between ego and fundamental subjective feeling. It really is a difficult job to be a subjective dominant, however it is equally difficult for the objective dominant because they completely lose sight of themselves.

here is the relevant section from Jung that I based the above analysis on :
"just as introverted thinking is pitted against a primitive feeling, to which objects attach themselves with magical force, so introverted feeling is counterbalanced by a primitive thinking, whose concretism and slavery to facts passes all bounds. Continually emancipating itself from the relation to the object, this feeling creates a freedom, both of action and of conscience, that is only answerable to the subject, and that may even renounce all traditional values. But so much the more [p. 492] does unconscious thinking fall a victim to the power of objective facts."

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
Well, the closest I can estimate myself is Se-Fe, but that doesn't exist....
What about ENFJ? Fe-Ni-Se-Ti?

It's still higher-ranking Se. Ni doesn't have to be detached and mystical--just an internal pull of wanting to know one answer. Makes plans. Wants a clear path toward its future.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Do you mean that you feel other people's emotions and feelings? For instance, you see someone getting shouted at or embarrassed in public, and you personally feel embarrassed with that person even when you are not directly involved? Or if one of your friends is getting really excited about something, you will start getting really excited too?

Maybe check out the Enneagram if you haven't already. Enneagram 9 often relates to feeling other peoples' emotions as if they are your own.

What about ENFJ? Fe-Ni-Se-Ti?

It's still higher-ranking Se. Ni doesn't have to be detached and mystical--just an internal pull of wanting to know one answer. Makes plans. Wants a clear path toward its future.
It is strange, though, that E/ISFJs and E/ISTJs who lack Ni are also concerned with making plans and having a clear future direction. I'd even say (E/I)S(F/T)Js are more focused on this than other types.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You're identifying with them where you feel you lack that particular trait consciously.

It's in you deep down but 'emulating' it brings it out.

I do it too sometimes or have the urge to, though less so as I work on myself and separate my own unconscious drives from those of others.

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
It is strange, though, that E/ISFJs and E/ISTJs who lack Ni are also concerned with making plans and having a clear future direction. I'd even say (E/I)S(F/T)Js are more focused on this than other types.
I'd be inclined to agree; everyone, no matter their type, has to address their future. I just think Si-Ne users and Ni-Se users go about it differently. Everyone I know in the Si-Ne dichotomy is certainly a planner--with one exception. Nevertheless, they are all future-oriented, certainly; but their planning is based on uncertain, inferior Ne, and a drive for security.

Whereas my ENTJ friend is direct, straight-forward, and rather than analyzing the details of her future, addresses it as part of her present. There's no worry about her future because it's part of the now. Finish school. Get a degree. Worry about it as you go {that Se} but still have a goal in mind. It's all very fluid.

I think that Si-Ne will abstract a bit more with their future, but also be more specific about their plans considering they see so many negative consequences if they don't do it right. But Ni, anywhere in the stack, tends to be much more casual about it. It doesn't ask 'what-if' all the time. The goal just "is". {depending on the health of the individual, of course.}

·
Registered
ESFJ
486 Posts

~deleted~

·
Registered
72 Posts
@November

The same happened to me when I was still in my 20s (college). When I was with a more loud, extroverted friend, I would also be louder and more extroverted than my usual self. When I was hanging out with someone who talked a certain way, I sort of mimicked that style of talking. Mirroring, I suppose? While that made me adaptable (to a certain extent - I find that I can easily hang out with both extroverts or quieter ones), I felt like you did - not really myself.

Then I kind of started to try a lot of things (in terms of interests) and meet new people often (part of the job). That was when I became more comfortable with who I was. If what you're experiencing is similar to mine (I don't recall mirroring TV characters though), my only advice would be to expand your experiences (with people and hobbies) and give yourself time to find your true identity. It was something I struggled with and it took a lot of 'mimicking of different identities' before I 'found myself'. I think what's important is that you're at least trying to. Hope this helps. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts