Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PerCers,

As you may be aware PersonalityCafe has been growing on a monthly basis. While this is exciting news, it has been difficult for me to give the site the resources it needs in order to continue along this path. Based upon this, I reached out to CrowdGather, Inc. (www.crowdgather.com) which is a company that buys and manages forums and asked them to consider acquiring the site. I was pretty set that any sale had to allow me to continue to run the day to day of the site, but that the buyer could worry about engineering support and paying the bills. I am pleased to report to all of you that CrowdGather accepted my terms and our community is now part of the CrowdGather forum network. I will continue to serve as an admin for our site, but this arrangement takes off a lot of pressure from me since I can focus more on developing features for the site, rather than hosting fees/server management.

Best Regards
Happy

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats on successful negotiations! I wish you continued success with your forum. -Christie :)

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Congratulations!!

Does this mean more Ads? Not that I mind either way.. I understand everybody needs to eat.
Does it change any policies?
Personnel changes?.
Does it bring any benefits we the posters will notice?
Or will the status-quo remain?
Just curious

Arc

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I am also curious as to what changes will be brought about due to this.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, or anything like that, just would like to know what we're in for.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As Sanjay mentioned, I will be running the day to day operations and implementing new ideas. There really will not be any major changes to the site. The only current impact is that Crowdgather will unload the burden of me having to maintain the server. I can fully focus on community development - which in turn will provide the users of PerC a much better user experience.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
As Sanjay mentioned, I will be running the day to day operations and implementing new ideas. There really will not be any major changes to the site. The only current impact is that Crowdgather will unload the burden of me having to maintain the server. I can fully focus on community development - which in turn will provide the users of PerC a much better user experience.
I'm just curious on what they're getting out of it is all. It's obvious what PerC gets with you having more time to focus on community development, but it isn't completely clear what they gain from the deal. Perhaps I'm just a bit slow though -___-
(not that owning this site isn't awesome in itself, I don't mean to say it isn't, but I assume that something would come along with that.)

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
I'm just curious on what they're getting out of it is all. It's obvious what PerC gets with you having more time to focus on community development, but it isn't completely clear what they gain from the deal. Perhaps I'm just a bit slow though -___-
(not that owning this site isn't awesome in itself, I don't mean to say it isn't, but I assume that something would come along with that.)
You're not slow.

I'm still trying to figure this one out too, and so far have not seen any answers in this thread.

·
Premium Member
10,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're not slow.

I'm still trying to figure this one out too, and so far have not seen any answers in this thread.
They probably get to decide what ads go on the site and get a cut of that or there's a lump sum. Probably not a big deal.
Crowdgather is a company that specializes in the purchasing of forums and monetizing them to help advertisers target their market. This means that you will see ads that are more in tune with the community niche, rather than random ads. Crowdgather is run by forum enthusiasts, so they are completely aware of community sentiment towards advertisements. They want to see the community prosper and will do anything to help maintain the PerC culture. I can assure you now that they will not be implementing ads that will deter users away (popups, interstitial, etc).

Everyone benefits from this partnership.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
On June 9, 2010 CrowdGather acquired Adisn, a next generation Digital Ad Agency that uses relationship data from the social web to enhance targeting. Headquartered in Long Beach, California, Adisn is a next generation Digital Ad Agency that uses relationship data from the social web to enhance targeting. Adisn has proven that the aggregate of web conversations, web profiles, online blogs, and behavior create millions of relationships between seemingly unrelated topics. The company’s technology mines through those relationships and applies the strongest ones to enhance online targeting to the benefit of publishers and advertisers across the web. We call it Relationship-based Targeting.
@Happy @Sanjay - does this mean that our PMs are fair game to be analysed to give us "better ads"? Or is the ubiqitous ad for zoosk (a dating site) solely related to my selecting "single" as my status? I'd rather see ads about typology conferences or personal development retreats (i.e. things actually related to this site) than dating ads.

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Happy @Sanjay - does this mean that our PMs are fair game to be analysed to give us "better ads"? Or is the ubiqitous ad for zoosk (a dating site) solely related to my selecting "single" as my status? I'd rather see ads about typology conferences or personal development retreats (i.e. things actually related to this site) than dating ads.

We do not use your PM's for marketing purposes, but Google adsense usually serves ads based upon the words on the page. Right now the display ads are being provided by Google and they tend to be all over the place. The banner ad I am viewing is for Shutterstock which is am image library. Our goal is to work directly with advertisers or ad networks that have a very tight affinity with the subject matter of the site. We are working towards that goal, but it will take a little time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.