Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings PerC Humans,

We've been receiving quite a few questions lately regarding PersonalityCafe's stance on the SOPA/PIPA bills. Many of you may have heard about these bills. If you haven't, we suggest that you visit Wikipedia - currently protesting the said bills.

Our stance is direct/simple - SOPA/PIPA sucks!

The internet is just one big, gigantic brain consisting of all human thoughts. Anything that infringes upon the internet is like infringing upon your own personal thoughts. My family and I would need these thoughts to take over the :angry:... I mean we need this information for providing you with better artificial intelligence.:kitteh:

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's a knee jerk reaction. Many gaming companies have found that by reducing the amount they spend developing a game, and decreasing the sales price in conjunction actually boosts sales. When Red Dead Redemption halved in cost a few years back, it actually saw more sales than on it's release date. Your average Call of Duty game puts around 30 million dollars into developing a game, and needs to sell a few million to break even, but really, when they make 1 billion each release, how is pirating hurting them? Piracy hurts the small start up companies, not the legal tech giants who will gain the majority of the powers from this bill.

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
Sounds like the same mentality the US has toward the drug trade... Lots of money and resources dumped into a war that is ineffective and meanwhile infringes on everyone.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm strongly against SOPA and PIPA, the biggest problem I have with it is what it does though... this isn't just going to affect the US, this is going to spread around the world(other governments will adopt the same thing, including Australia :rolleyes:). The internet is one of the truly 'free' places left on this earth(that's why it was made iirc), it is obvious that governments will want to have some power over it. This is very wrong, so all I can really say is lets hope all these sites doing this stuff makes a difference!

·
Maid of Time
14,753 Posts
I'm strongly against SOPA and PIPA, the biggest problem I have with it is what it does though... this isn't just going to affect the US, this is going to spread around the world(other governments will adopt the same thing, including Australia :rolleyes:).
Yup; basically, the US could end up restricting the flow of info from the external world if we wished depending on who we shut down, and the rest of the world can do the same. Obviously all that can already be done anyway (I think Yahoo in China already has established that blocking can done.) They claim it's just for the obvious pirates who are distributing material illicitly but the law is so poorly worded that it's like having loaded pistols sitting around waiting for an nutjob or overzealous stooge to pick it up and start firing into a crowd.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Oh this is great!
So what can we do? Stephen's already written to his representative...but I don't live in the US.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Frightening stuff. Lets hope it never get's passed.

If it does, as many have observed, it's just one big slippery, (controlled), slope towards a type of net facism. After reading the bills on wiki, im more than slightly nervous.

ps: I wanted to go far more in-depth with this post, but I have to go somewhere.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
We at RevLeft closed down the site in protest (although the owner is German, the site is hosted in the US), and so did Libcom. I've noticed a lot of very popular sites have joined in, which is great. We put the following statement on the front page -

The U.S. Congress has proposed two legislative bills, the Stop Online Piracy Act(SOPA) and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA), which have the potential to significantly change the way that information can be shared through the Internet. If these bills pass, it would be devastating to the free and open web and could potentially see the end of revleft.com as it is today. Wikipedia and other major internet sites will be blacking out their sites today in protest of the SOPA and PIPA Acts. Revleft.com is standing in solidarity with this protest, and will also be blacked out for the next 24 hours. After 1/19/12 comes to an end, this site will be reopened for leftist political debate. The Revleft Admin Staff
No country, corporation or individual has much control over the Internet, and that is the way it should be. For the first time in history, billions (albeit mostly in developed nations) have the world's greatest wealth - knowledge - available to them in many different languages and from many different sources, whether it's a forum, a wiki, a blog etc. If the US government passes these laws, then the entirety of the world will be affected.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
SOPA is the most evil legislation I've seen in a long time.

We at RevLeft closed down the site in protest (although the owner is German, the site is hosted in the US), and so did Libcom. I've noticed a lot of very popular sites have joined in, which is great. We put the following statement on the front page -

No country, corporation or individual has much control over the Internet, and that is the way it should be. For the first time in history, billions (albeit mostly in developed nations) have the world's greatest wealth - knowledge - available to them in many different languages and from many different sources, whether it's a forum, a wiki, a blog etc. If the US government passes these laws, then the entirety of the world will be affected.
Democratic Underground, where I get a lot of my political stuff, is down also.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh this is great!
So what can we do? Stephen's already written to his representative...but I don't live in the US.
Unfortunately there is nothing we can do :sad:

As for the sites going down in protest, the list is huge really... I'm a staff member on overclock.net (one of the biggest overclocking communities around) and we have decided to stay away from this(strict no politics rule and this is at its heart political). I guess the up side to this whole debacle is that it will paint people who are for it with florescent paint for anti-corruption lol

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I've been yelling about this for weeks now, the idea that this might actually happen is finally sinking in.

I've been thinking about another way to protest PIPA and SOPA. It's cunning and I'm not sure if it's entirely legal. As you can see from this article; http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-labels-demand-cash-from-alleged-bittorrent-pirates-120117/ , the RIAA are sending out the same illegitemate pay up or else letters, but now in Germany. Me being from the Netherlands I thought I'd do the same.

I'm planning on reconstructing the pay up or else letters only than in Dutch, and they will be fake. But people will get a shock, WTF I DIDN'T EVEN DOWNLOAD THAT!!!!!!! Well, soon that won't even matter. STOP SOPA NOW BEFORE WE'RE BACK IN THE MIDDLE AGES ALL BECAUSE OF CORPORATE GREEDY SCUM!

As for the sites going down in protest, the list is huge really... I'm a staff member on overclock.net (one of the biggest overclocking communities around) and we have decided to stay away from this(strict no politics rule and this is at its heart political). I guess the up side to this whole debacle is that it will paint people who are for it with florescent paint for anti-corruption lol
There is so much we can do, we are the people, we should be the ones deciding what's going to happen to the internet. Not some 70 year old farts who get paid by major companies. WAKE UP.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,615 Posts

You are already being defeatest! Its silly really that your company doesn't want to get involved because you can guarantee with that kind of business attitude especially regarding something of this nature, your companies website is also going to go down the pan. I mean for goodness sake, Wikipedia has mostly the full support of its readers/members. If anything, any company going ahead with the blackout should be praised.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
yes, where is a citizen's right to a fair trial in this legislation? it's not legal for a citizen to be presumed guilty without a chance to be proven innocent.

and where is the government's Constitutional right to conduct unreasonable searches and seizures? this legislation legalizes that which the Bill of Rights prohibits.

and, considering the government's frequent power grabs, this is just the first step (in the name of something that appears legitimate, so it will be "swallowed" more easily by those who are naive to the government's true intent) to another power grab in which the government will direct and control everything on the internet...a violation to citizens' rights to free speech.

last i checked, a Constitutional Convention was required in order to modify anything significant in the Constitution. we are guaranteed a free trial, the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, protection against unreasonable searches and seizures, as well as freedom of speech through the Constitution, and at no point has any Constitutional Convention revoked these rights. so who told our government they could just arbitrarily deprive us of these things without consulting all the states to change the Consitution? who gave them the power to issue edicts that violate our Constitutional rights? they exist as political officials only on the basis of the Constitution...they derive all their authority from the Constitution. it logically follows that if the Constitution no longer stands (since they overrule it constantly), neither does their position of power.

since already this administration was seeking to silence its opposition, this will just become another means to do just that, to limit "news" to that which is issued and approved by the government propaganda machine.

just look at the Chinese government's grip on the internet there, or the same in Saudi Arabia or Iran. we are headed in precisely the same direction.

someone needs to stand up to all these violations of our Constitutional rights. the Constitution was created to ensure the freedoms and liberty from governmental tyranny won through the Revolutionary War. now the government is gradually reinstating the same tyranny and restriction of freedoms that prompted our nation's initial revolt and eventual liberation from Great Britain.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm glad to hear that sites are taking a stand against these bills now. I was starting to get worried that they didn't get the message or were apathetic, seeing that I didn't see much of anything being done other than many people writing to their reps.

I'm also glad to hear that the White House opposes all of this, realizing how much of an assault it is on first amendment rights...but then again, things might change.

They're just so poorly written...anyone with a properly working mind that read the bills would see that, which makes me concerned as to what congress has to say about SOPA/PIPA.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'm strongly against SOPA and PIPA, the biggest problem I have with it is what it does though... this isn't just going to affect the US, this is going to spread around the world(other governments will adopt the same thing, including Australia :rolleyes:). The internet is one of the truly 'free' places left on this earth(that's why it was made iirc), it is obvious that governments will want to have some power over it. This is very wrong, so all I can really say is lets hope all these sites doing this stuff makes a difference!
Lol we are pretty much already there. AMCA has us under thier thumb with the ability to blacklist any site they want >_>. It's comparable to North Korea XD

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.