Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so I'll just start by saying my mbti experience comes from my parents who both (mom sort of) are counselors. Growing up, my family had the most awesome arguments, and encouragements!

The mbti has always been HUGE in my family, anyone we meet or hear about we immediately deconstruct and assemble what they're possible mbti is! Sometimes we would just do it for fun guessing what strangers mbti's were while in a coffee shop, making up stories for people.

Growing up I experienced far more Introverts than extroverts which taught me how to listen. Also growing up I shared a room with an INFJ. I had to regrettably not as fast as I wish to learn to listen to what he was saying and think about that he was telling me was how he FEELS about what happened and not necessarily what actually happened. And also that my ruthless black and white T words could cut real deep into an F, and learned how to navigate an F's feelings. We've since then become perfect yin yang bros. We're batman and joker.

And even after searching for some my whole life have only ever met one ESTP who is in fact still 40+ years older than me. :tongue:

And if you ever meet me, I'll subtly be trying to figure out what your mbti is!

But yeah I'm pretty stereotypical of an ESTP and will probably post about as much as on. lol!

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,102 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Firefingers and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Firefingers. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,610 Posts
@Firefingers

WELCOME!

Not sure if I ever encountered an ESTP before. What's that like?

You know, I'm an ENTP. I'm interested in everyone.

·
Banned
1,352 Posts
Yeah so I'll just start by saying my mbti experience comes from my parents who both (mom sort of) are counselors. Growing up, my family had the most awesome arguments, and encouragements!

The mbti has always been HUGE in my family, anyone we meet or hear about we immediately deconstruct and assemble what they're possible mbti is! Sometimes we would just do it for fun guessing what strangers mbti's were while in a coffee shop, making up stories for people.

Growing up I experienced far more Introverts than extroverts which taught me how to listen. Also growing up I shared a room with an INFJ. I had to regrettably not as fast as I wish to learn to listen to what he was saying and think about that he was telling me was how he FEELS about what happened and not necessarily what actually happened. And also that my ruthless black and white T words could cut real deep into an F, and learned how to navigate an F's feelings. We've since then become perfect yin yang bros. We're batman and joker.

And even after searching for some my whole life have only ever met one ESTP who is in fact still 40+ years older than me. :tongue:

But yeah I'm pretty stereotypical of an ESTP and will probably post about as much as on. lol!
Greetings and welcome to PerC! This forum is a great place to discuss all the various personality theories with like minded individuals so I'm sure you will enjoy it. One of my friends is an ESTP and he is a pretty cool dude though he gives me one too many bro-hugs, lol. If you want to read up some more on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator system than check out these links:
Personality Type Explained
Functional Analysis of Psychological Types

I wish you a good time on this website and don't forget to have fun! :kitteh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Firefingers

WELCOME!

Not sure if I ever encountered an ESTP before. What's that like?

You know, I'm an ENTP. I'm interested in everyone.
Thanks! Well I've only ever encountered that one myself,
but my ENTP friend says he's always shocked about how much I do (not necessarily productive though) or how loud I am in a day.
He tells me how guilty he feels about his lack of J (he lives mostly around Js, and is pretty lazy) and I'm like "PFSHH forget that! make Js feel guilty for their lack of P!! You have just as much freedom to break their rules as they have the freedom to follow them! be courteous about it though. heh!" Mostly kidding!
But he appreciates that!

I get pretty amazed at the knowledge y'all have that y'all feel like is useless. And that's funny just funny to me!

I think I'm just their for people to help them believe in themselves as much as I arrogantly believe in myself! lol! And even my clash INTJ friends find that amusing! Hehe just poking!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings and welcome to PerC! This forum is a great place to discuss all the various personality theories with like minded individuals so I'm sure you will enjoy it. One of my friends is an ESTP and he is a pretty cool dude though he gives me one too many bro-hugs, lol. If you want to read up some more on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator system than check out these links:

I wish you a good time on this website and don't forget to have fun! :kitteh:
Thanks bro! I know exactly what you're talkin' about with the hugs thing, I don't really like hugs either, but when I do hug, it's just for the reaction! Hehe! ESTP (PEST)!

·
Premium Member
10,504 Posts
Welcome to the ESTP pest.
I could entertain you at a fun festival.
ESFP (fest)
Feel free to give me hugs.
The more hugs, the better! Squishy ones are definitely preferred.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

Saw this as it came up and couldn't think of anything decent to add so I ran away, BUT I came back and joy and behold I have something! are you ready? are ya? ARE>YOU>READY!? FOR.THIS

...hi

Brains all like 'yeah you're real proud of yourself arn't cha, giving me that piccard facepalm' but whatever I do what I want. That wasn't what I actually wanted to say though, funnily in the midst of this shennanigan I almost forgot :rolleyes:

What I intended to say was it sounds really cool having parentals doing that line of work AND typing being so big, I've only jumped into it recently (despite doing 5 years of psych they shoo you away from it) and it's tricky to find people into it (I know no one outside of here) so it must be interesting having it so prevalent in the family! I wanna then ask by extension, how do you go about typing? I just wanna get better at it; is all, as I currently suck. I think one mistake I've been making is trying to figure letters and not cognitive functions, maybe If I concentrate in discerning a lead function I'll have an easier (and more accurate) time of it.

Personally I don't think I know any ESTPs either, where people like to chase a new experience a lot I tend to feel uncomfortable and don't pursue things with those sorts of people too much, despite being an ENFP I very much like stability/tend to dislike new things. That's more a comfort zone thing though, anyways I'm being stereotypical and rambling! I can say I do know one ESF-J- and we get along pretty well, close as I can confirm though!

I'd also bet there wouldn't be too many active ESTPs, that most likely being the case you're always welcome at the ENFP side of things! You can wager i'll just about always be there :) Anyways welcome and enjoy! ^_^

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Saw this as it came up and couldn't think of anything decent to add so I ran away, BUT I came back and joy and behold I have something! are you ready? are ya? ARE>YOU>READY!? FOR.THIS

...hi

Brains all like 'yeah you're real proud of yourself arn't cha, giving me that piccard facepalm' but whatever I do what I want. That wasn't what I actually wanted to say though, funnily in the midst of this shennanigan I almost forgot :rolleyes:

What I intended to say was it sounds really cool having parentals doing that line of work AND typing being so big, I've only jumped into it recently (despite doing 5 years of psych they shoo you away from it) and it's tricky to find people into it (I know no one outside of here) so it must be interesting having it so prevalent in the family! I wanna then ask by extension, how do you go about typing? I just wanna get better at it; is all, as I currently suck. I think one mistake I've been making is trying to figure letters and not cognitive functions, maybe If I concentrate in discerning a lead function I'll have an easier (and more accurate) time of it.

Personally I don't think I know any ESTPs either, where people like to chase a new experience a lot I tend to feel uncomfortable and don't pursue things with those sorts of people too much, despite being an ENFP I very much like stability/tend to dislike new things. That's more a comfort zone thing though, anyways I'm being stereotypical and rambling! I can say I do know one ESF-J- and we get along pretty well, close as I can confirm though!

I'd also bet there wouldn't be too many active ESTPs, that most likely being the case you're always welcome at the ENFP side of things! You can wager i'll just about always be there :) Anyways welcome and enjoy! ^_^
Yeah so I don't claim to know the right answers by any means and I'm probably the worst out of my fam at figuring out what someone's type is, and you probably already know all that I'm going to say. But the way I go about it might be considered a bit unorthodox. Since I'm not afraid of looking like a fool I don't mind doing social experiments on the suspect, which also yields the best results with my Se, sensing the exterior of someone and trying to bring out different responses.

Just to name a few, sometimes I'll kinda try to overwhelm the person by talking a lot, and watch how they react, and then suddenly talking hardly at all and see what they do. And to avoid them from leaving the conversation if they don't take lead of it, I'll then resume into a "normal person's" conversation, and start asking them questions about themselves, watching how they come up with answers.
This is usually how I establish if they're an introvert or an extrovert most of the time while factoring in what our surrounding is, a party, coffee shop, nature ect. And this is what I watch for,
So because being an E or an I doesn't necessarily mean you talk a lot or not at all, I watch for how the person processes what I'm saying or what they want to say. So when I'm talking a lot, an E will tend to either interrupt or add things to what I'm saying and then easily take lead of the conversation even if it's just them rambling. Where as an I will tend to be extra quite when I'm talking a lot and then only say something when I'm done, but usually after saying something like "right.. so.." and how they take lead of the conversation tends to be like they want me to take lead again and they try to ask questions that could cause me to do that again. Or they'll not say anything and enjoy the silence I just gave them and not feel nearly as much awkwardness I do.
Keep in mind though this is very superficial and less reliable, as there are many factors that can effect the outcome of those results.

For N and S, what I'll watch for in an S is someone who is practical when is comes to what they do with their time, and for an N I look for someone who can daydream easily and has lots of ideas that may or may not happen. which again those aren't always what they appear to be.
But my favorite way of figuring this out is paying very close attention to how they word questions or go about answering your very specific or broad questions.
So for instance if I ask an S "What kind of food did you eat for lunch?" he/she might say "A sandwich" or "chicken fried rice". Where as and N might answer "Healthy" or "The best".
Or if you ask "how's the whether today?"
S: "Clear" or "Rainy"
N: "Good" or "Bad"
"How was your day?"
N: What do you mean?
S: Can you be more specific?
Stuff like that!

For the T and F, To me it's really hard to know if you haven't figured out if they are an E or an I, because to me that has a huge effect on what you'll see. A lot of people when they first meet me think I'm an F, but that is because my T is introverted. So I come across as a nice & kind, cutthroat person. That's why ESTPs are often the funny con artists in fiction. Also a bad social experiment here can really hurt someone's feelings whether they're a T or an F, so I tend to be a bit more cautious, and what I try to do is watch for when the suspect has to make a decision that could potentially hurt someone's feelings, and how easy they make that decision.
Or I'll watch for if the suspect has an easy or hard time answering questions like,
"How does that make you feel?"
"Why do you feel that way?"
"What did/does that do to you?"
Ts will tend to have a harder time answering those (or at least I know I do. I absolutely hate those questions) and will tend to answer like "well I think..." or "It makes me think..."
Or I'll just watch what they base their decisions on, their's and other's feels or facts and logic.

the P and J is probably the easiest to figure out and there isn't anything special that I do to figure it out. Just don't confuse a P being organized in their work place or an S that is very particular about what they wear with a J. Js scare me... and I probably scare them. heh!

Again though I am usually not as effective without input from the other types in my fam so yeah! But hopefully there was something in there that you haven't heard before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's so weird not having to figure out what someone's letters are on this sight, because I can just see what it is right there! And not being cautious about I how I word things or having to explain myself, because people can just go "oh well he's an ESTP so...blahblahblah". It's awesome!

·
Registered
662 Posts
What a fun family!

I like typing people too, but I take a more passive approach. I just like to observe and collect information over a number of weeks, and then analyse in my own quiet time. I can't analyse and interact at the same time.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
@Firefingers even reading that I was all 'you clever, cunning, fox!" :fox:, partly because I saw zootopia pretty recently but also because it's clearly so true, you can see thoughtfullness of Ti but also how Fe plays that concentration on others but also tames the cut-throat aspect, which is pretty cool. That's what I find neat about xSTPs, that way of going about things in ways that I never really do, it's like professional manipulation (either for good or bad), but Fe helps you there. I'd be more manipulative than I realise in I'll ever so slowly convince people and know how to hit someone's likes (being a 9), but yeah it's never that explicit I guess, so I really like seeing people who can; work that angle! It's just yeah I'll get along great with that as long as they don't push me to action too much, because my Fi will go screw you time and i'll turn hell stubborn.

I think it's just you talk about with misconceptions is why I wanna start avoiding thinking on letters, because it's very easy to be drawn to those or things to overlap. Like this is a personal thing/nitpick but 'what do you mean' and 'can you be more specific' -for me- is pretty much the same question because Ne will go 'wait.. crap.. too many things! narrow down please or shits gonna get weird!', pretty much if you give me too much open space i'll try fill all of it and my brain just can't deal. I've mentioned this one a few times on here, but some time ago I had an interview and the first question was 'tell me about you?'... I almost died, how I recovered I don't even know, haha.

I've been lucky with Js, they admire my ability to be chill on stuff and me their ability to be organised, but yeah can still be intense!

That's fair and good restraint because being holistic and inclusive about it is a smart way to draw in more info, that's what I like about Fe but yeah if I do it it's more for Ne blood lust, haha. Either way, thanks man, I really appreciate the all out answer! I've got a new connection at looking at it so I'm happy either way ^_^ plenty of angles, haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a fun family!

I like typing people too, but I take a more passive approach. I just like to observe and collect information over a number of weeks, and then analyse in my own quiet time. I can't analyse and interact at the same time.
Both my brother and dad are INFJs and they are the same way and usually have really good results!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@JMurph

Yeah man I tend to live for reactions with people. I usually only manipulate people into doing things they want to do, but are too afraid to do. Usually.... :laughing:

Yeah I can totally see what you're saying about the N and S example I gave after re reading it. I've managed to correctly translate it to an N just a few times. It can be fairly complicated, and whatever one of us says can easily be misunderstood in that regard. But I'll try again bro!
So I think the point I was trying to make was that an S will want you to be "more specific" like "how was the meeting with Greg you were nervous about?" where an N may want to know the context to your question like "why are you asking me that? Do you want to know if it was good or bad, was it productive or not, exciting or boring?"
In reality both tend to get overwhelmed by the question but an N tends to resolve it with context, analyzing the WHY you're asking (whole picture) going from there,
where an S will tend to resolve it with highlight, analyzing the WHAT you want to know (narrower) excluding the expectation the person might have. they both usually will come up with the same answers, and they both ARE going through a process of narrowing the question (not to get confused with how an S isn't concerned about the person's expectations) but how they get there is different.

And it doesn't really effect the person asking the question until it's an S asking an N or vice versa. because typically if I ask "what kind of food did you eat today?" I'm asking for the dish, though it may seem crazy to you, that's what I'm asking and if I am to expect an N to be thinking as narrow as me, I should ask in a way that is as narrow. But if I leave it up for interpretation, an N will answer like an N will. Or if my N brother asks me "what do think about what I just said?" he's wanting me to answer with his whole speech in mind, but he should know better, because my answer is going to be about his last SENTENCE. lol! Those are both a little extreme! But maybe that will help.

If you still don't understand please don't kill me, I'm too young to die!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yeah man I tend to live for reactions with people. I usually only manipulate people into doing things they want to do, but are too afraid to do. Usually.... :laughing:

I appreciate that because I often need that help, i'm so so so bad for overthinking into non-action and passiveness for days, just so long as things are gradual, if things start to become a shove I'll go lifeless in protest, even at times almost literally!

Yeah I can totally see what you're saying about the N and S example I gave after re reading it. I've managed to correctly translate it to an N just a few times. It can be fairly complicated, and whatever one of us says can easily be misunderstood in that regard. But I'll try again bro!
So I think the point I was trying to make was that an S will want you to be "more specific" like "how was the meeting with Greg you were nervous about?" where an N may want to know the context to your question like "why are you asking me that? Do you want to know if it was good or bad, was it productive or not, exciting or boring?"
In reality both tend to get overwhelmed by the question but an N tends to resolve it with context, analyzing the WHY you're asking (whole picture) going from there,
where an S will tend to resolve it with highlight, analyzing the WHAT you want to know (narrower) excluding the expectation the person might have. they both usually will come up with the same answers, and they both ARE going through a process of narrowing the question (not to get confused with how an S isn't concerned about the person's expectations) but how they get there is different.

And it doesn't really effect the person asking the question until it's an S asking an N or vice versa. because typically if I ask "what kind of food did you eat today?" I'm asking for the dish, though it may seem crazy to you, that's what I'm asking and if I am to expect an N to be thinking as narrow as me, I should ask in a way that is as narrow. But if I leave it up for interpretation, an N will answer like an N will. Or if my N brother asks me "what do think about what I just said?" he's wanting me to answer with his whole speech in mind, but he should know better, because my answer is going to be about his last SENTENCE. lol! Those are both a little extreme! But maybe that will help.

If you still don't understand please don't kill me, I'm too young to die!
Actually dude that cleared it up just about perfectly, totally see what you mean and I think that's pretty much the bulk of it, because it's like ok I have all these parts, which part do YOU want picturewise so I can paint that, otherwise I'm gonna try pick myself and that can be real messy. Especially as a 9 because it's like just let me give you want you want! Because I still need to be able to explain it with my associations in mind, otherwise that way of just giving a part is like ripping a branch from a tree and it can hurt just as much! ...I can only hope that made sense xD

It's like this whole thing is why I'd like to get a better grasp on typing, so it's like know your audience and what to maybe no expect. So then if I ask someone who's more for sensing; a question, then I know what to expect, because often I'd want that short answer from a sensor, because I've already covered the long game usually, don't need any pile on! It can really help me ground from pinging off into all these directions. Like I might be all 'here's a million reasons why I'm bad at this' and someone on that other side of it will be like nah and here's facts as to why and i'll be like 'oh yeah fair enough, thanks!' that's the sort of thing where it can help in particular too. Helps me keep to a vision, Idk I may be getting things confused, but I find Ni doms can do that too, despite being a but opposing.

Buuuuuuuuut with all that It's ok no one has to die! and I do understand as well *yay!*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually dude that cleared it up just about perfectly, totally see what you mean and I think that's pretty much the bulk of it, because it's like ok I have all these parts, which part do YOU want picturewise so I can paint that, otherwise I'm gonna try pick myself and that can be real messy. Especially as a 9 because it's like just let me give you want you want! Because I still need to be able to explain it with my associations in mind, otherwise that way of just giving a part is like ripping a branch from a tree and it can hurt just as much! ...I can only hope that made sense xD

It's like this whole thing is why I'd like to get a better grasp on typing, so it's like know your audience and what to maybe no expect. So then if I ask someone who's more for sensing; a question, then I know what to expect, because often I'd want that short answer from a sensor, because I've already covered the long game usually, don't need any pile on! It can really help me ground from pinging off into all these directions. Like I might be all 'here's a million reasons why I'm bad at this' and someone on that other side of it will be like nah and here's facts as to why and i'll be like 'oh yeah fair enough, thanks!' that's the sort of thing where it can help in particular too. Helps me keep to a vision, Idk I may be getting things confused, but I find Ni doms can do that too, despite being a but opposing.

Buuuuuuuuut with all that It's ok no one has to die! and I do understand as well *yay!*
You could be confusing things, but I see what you're saying and it makes sense to me!
And yeah I think you're right and that both can adapt well when it comes to bringing someone's words around full circle. I've never thought about that! that's a pretty cool thought though!

Glad no murder had to happen!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts