Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo.

So I have been contemplating whether or not 'Star Lord' a.k.a Peter Quill from Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is an ENTP as he is so often typed as.

I do not see evidence of Ti but see evidence of Ne (creative ideas to deter enemies, formulating 'half plans' on a whim and going with them, even that whole scene in Vol. 2 reeks of it when he tells Gamora that she doesn't trust his dad because she can't open herself to new ideas) and -Si (a huge attachment to Earth connections, his walkman, etc.)

I can see some Fi too, considering he really only opens up when drunk (when he tells Gamora about Hasseloff in Vol. 2 and in Vol. 1 when he opens his last gift from his mom in solitude.) He follows his heart more than anything else, honestly. But perhaps I am becoming to analytical and over-complicating him. Also, he is so blunt when talking to his friends and brining them down into reality. I don't know. Isn't that Te? I don't see him being analytical or breaking apart systems. He's really just a follower who listens to Rocket's plans and tends to go with them, unless he has a Ne-motivated plan like the dance off.

I am not saying he is not a Ti user but I am not really seeing how he uses it. I saw an argument about him "not being organized" but I have no idea where that even appears in the movie. Can anyone point out how he is an auxilary Ti user? I would also like maybe other type suggestions for him that fit or a good argument for ENTP? Really, I just want to pick your brains.

THANKS. :D

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I can't actually think of any definable proof what judging functions he uses... He's got an ENTP's sense of humour (childish, cheeky, teasing) but when it comes down to it Rocket Racoon seems like a more obvious Ti user since he's always the one to call out other's ideas for being stupid and why... maybe Rocket's an INTP? But when put beside Star-Lord he shows him up.

There's also no argument for Fi either other than perhaps he needs to be encouraged to use his feelings to save the day rather than naturally having a need to do so... (you know that cliche "use your heart" moral that they use in the endings of both movies, the last one a little more...) but because he has to be encouraged you'd expect feeling to be tert.

For volume 2 he talks about pretending that his dad was David Hasselhoff. Sounds like the daydreams of a Ne-user, imagining what his life 'could be like' but his choice to tell others that his dad was Hasselhoff pushes him a little more the Ti side again. Also the fact that he could only open up about that story when 'drunk' makes him more of a ENTP.

I think when it comes down to it, we KNOW he's a perceiver at least.

Reactions: Lexifer

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
ESFP Type 7w8

This is an ENTP:

This is an Se-dom:

the focus of the Se dom is much more concrete and based on immediate factors in his or her situation, while the focus of Ne dom is outside this immediate awareness, and on associations/possibilities and preferentially, intuitions based on factors in the immediate situation.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Comes off reflective to me. Ne-Si user definitely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, so after a long time mulling it over in my mind I am thinking ESFP is correct for Peter.

The reason being is that Peter may be attached to his past but it's not a significant enough factor to type him as an ENFP or ENTP, especially considering he is more reactive than reflective as someone stated above. I am sure there are many ESFPs who appreciate old movies and musics. But his thought process is very reactive. He has a hard time planning yet alone coming up with multitudes of ideas and possibilities. He plays it by ear. In fact, he relies on Rocket (a Ne-dom/ENTP) to draw associations and various plans. He helps conduct them, of course, physically.

None of his decisions seem to reflect inferior Si either and his weakest function as well as his grip experience seems to be inferior Ni. He is, essentially, very poorly attuned to his father's real intentions in the movie and very poorly attuned to Yondu. He didn't know until his death the guy loved him. Peter's "greater purpose" from his father is very reactive. He can't see how it betters humanity. He is fixated on creating "weird shit." But he is easily persuaded by this grandiose vision when he is unhealthy.

He has a strong moral compass. In the beginning of the first movie, he beats up the bullies for hurting the frog. He feels strongly and reacts to those feelings even when defending Gamora. He is pretty uncompromising too.

Any other opinion before I lock this down in my head?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone?

Also found this which seems to be where he’s at in Vol 2.

“Do you suddenly and inexplicably feel the urge to seek out a higher purpose or deeper meaning for your life? Do you suddenly feel drawn to mystical ideas or spiritual exploration?” (Inferior Ni withdraws into irrational pessimism, paranoia, or distrust of life because of losing confidence and connectedness to the new/positive/interesting aspects of the world)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts