Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site is absolute pollution for understanding the MBTI and spreads misinformation like wildfire. I could let it go, except it is typically top 3 results whenever people search for a personality test or MBTI on Google, and that's just appalling.

For starters it only takes account the 4 dichotomies and goes about it like a 13 year old would after 5 minutes of looking up this stuff like: ''The difference between INFJs ans INFPs is that the latter clean their houses and sort their books into categories, while the latter is exactly the same but way too lax to do any of that stuff.'' Paraphrasing for sarcasm, but really that's what they're saying.

And then there's those dreadful celebrity and fictional character typings. They have Rose from Titanic as INFJ even though even the n00best of Jungian n00bs would tell you she's the poster child for Dominant Fi (thus IxFP). And they have Celine Dion as.....ENTP?? Not even making this up, they really do.

Why is the online MBTI community allowing this to go on?

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w9
1,653 Posts
This site is absolute pollution for understanding the MBTI and spreads misinformation like wildfire. I could let it go, except it is typically top 3 results whenever people search for a personality test or MBTI on Google, and that's just appalling.

For starters it only takes account the 4 dichotomies and goes about it like a 13 year old would after 5 minutes of looking up this stuff like: ''The difference between INFJs ans INFPs is that the latter clean their houses and sort their books into categories, while the latter is exactly the same but way too lax to do any of that stuff.'' Paraphrasing for sarcasm, but really that's what they're saying.

And then there's those dreadful celebrity and fictional character typings. They have Rose from Titanic as INFJ even though even the n00best of Jungian n00bs would tell you she's the poster child for Dominant Fi (thus IxFP). And they have Celine Dion as.....ENTP?? Not even making this up, they really do.

Why is the online MBTI community allowing this to go on?
I noticed that a lot of people object to that particular website. I never really got why. I don't really find it much different than other websites. Taking into account only the 4 dichotomies is something a lot of websites do. I think its relative popularity is owed more to the volume of content and site design. You have to admit the website looks nice and that professional look makes it more appealing.

But what do you think about idrlabs.com? They have a whole bunch of celebrity typings.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Can you even shut down the site that way?
Besides, why would you, It doesn't hurt anyone.
You might not like this, but the official MBTI is based on dichotomies. It's a closed system and has it's manual. Unlike internet cognitive functions, where everyone interprets everything subjectively and its a giant mess. 16 personalties adds this 5th factor, but is closer to MBTI than internet's favourite cognitive functions. Keirsey or Harald-grant stuff should have different name, so there would be no confusion.
I also prefer cognitive function approach, ( more Jung than internet ones) but from Te perspective the MBTI really is about INFJ being on time and INFP being late.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I didn't notice those things.... hmmm. But I do like 16personalities.com overall. I find the test to be fairly accurate, and the added aspect of assertive vs. turbulent personalities was interesting. I like the clean look of the site, and the descriptions of the different profiles are well-wrtten, IMO.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Let's create a petition that would demand Stevester to create his own MBTI testing website that would be better than 16personalities.
Then the proper website could defeat the improper website by sheer difference in quality.

Making petitions to remove things you dislike is the path of the weak.
Making things that defeat the things you dislike is the path of glory.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I never take notice of things I don't like.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I/E
S/N
F/T
J/P

No mention of the cognitive functions
Why is the online MBTI community allowing this to go on? Probably because 16perosnalities.com is a different theory from MBTI all together. This is taken directly from the website's "about us" section.

"With our model, we’ve combined the best of both worlds. We use the acronym format introduced by Myers-Briggs for its simplicity and convenience, with an extra letter to accommodate five rather than four scales. However, unlike Myers-Briggs or other theories based on the Jungian model, we have not incorporated Jungian concepts such as cognitive functions, or their prioritization. Jungian concepts are very difficult to measure and validate scientifically, so we’ve instead chosen to rework and rebalance the dimensions of personality called the Big Five personality traits, a model that dominates modern psychological and social research.

Our personality types are based on five independent spectrums, with all letters in the type code (e.g. INFJ-A) referring to one of the two sides of the corresponding spectrum. You can see where you fall on each scale by completing our free personality assessment, NERIS Type Explorer[SUP]®[/SUP]. This approach has allowed us to achieve high test accuracy while also retaining the ability to define and describe distinct personality types."

...aka 16 personalites is using it's own theory inspired by MBTI but it's not MBTI. *spoiler alert* they are not the only ones to do this either. Pretty much unless the website specifically states in their "about us" section that they are using Jung's work then its a different theory inspired by Jung's work but with its own unique types, profiles and paid instruments.

Meaning 99.9999999% of the time someone is talking about "MBTI" they are completely ignorant to primary sources like Psychological Types or MBTI Manual 3rd edition which is why they don't know what cognitive functions are. Instead people believe information they read from online websites which is a mixture of MBTI imitators who offer watered down elements of MBTI, various vague profiles for the types, free tests, etc. This leads to stereotypes being created about what each type "should be" which, of course, often contradicts what another website has said about the same type(s) which leads people to be confused.
These confused people go on to talk shit about MBTI as whole seeing it as pop psychology, horoscopes, stupid, etc. while never actually learning the theory behind it. Essentially trying to discredit what they never properly learned in the first place LMAO

TL;DR: Unless it's the myerssbriggs foundation (which is a .org website) each time you go to a MBTI website with ".com" at the end it's very possible it's a COMPLETELY different theory inspired by Jung's work using the same four letter code to get a piece of the "personality pie" because it's a business aka there is money in it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is my least favorite of the more popular typology sites. I don't care for the addition of the assertive vs. turbulent. Many of their celebrity and character typings are embarrassing.

While I don't care for it either, ignoring the cognitive functions and just using the I/E, S/N, T/F, P/J dichotomies comes from David Keirsey and isn't original to the site.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts