Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
INTP or what?
13,907 Posts
My impression on reading this thread and not that website is the website can be treated as non-technical chat. Let it go for people who like that. If you don't like it, then why not get technical yourself? Correct what you don't like as your input. If that can't easily be done, leave and let it be for those who would like it ... as long as it does no harm.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah damn the people who actually state things that are backed up by evidence. Shut it down!
They, um......literally have a list of celebrities and fictional characters for each type with ZERO explanation, they're just there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Baby Driver Interesting... I didn't know those T/A additions come from that side because I quite liked em^^
After I posted yesterday I read above that apparently the T/A dichotomy is inspired by Big Five, so I guess they didn't just completely make it up. I always worry about the origins of new dichotomies like that and whether there is any evidence to back them up.

They, um......literally have a list of celebrities and fictional characters for each type with ZERO explanation, they're just there.
That's one of my biggest complaints with the site, because that then can give people new to MBTI a false image of the type.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I wonder about sites that root from Eastern Europeans. The two that run this site are Lithuanian nationals who cite a London headquarter and are data analysts. It's too close to Russia and psychometric comfort.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Well that isn't good but they also have some information they collected on different countries as well as just general preferences that people of different types, like I remember something about favorite music by type.

The stuff they base on data - good
The stuff they don't base on data - bad

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
When I looked at the actual 16 Personalities Test, I saw quite a few questions that looked lousy. It's good that you can select degree of preference but still, a number of lousy questions. I'm guessing alot of people would mistype because of it, I'm clearly an Introvert and some of the answers I gave would peg me as an Extrovert. No mention of the 8 cognitive functions anywhere on the site as far as I can tell. As for the Assertive vs. Turbulent? Forget it! They're trying to link together "sensitive to stress" with "perfectionist and achievement oriented", without any explanation as to why those two traits go together. It's clearly trying to capture the "Neuroticism" aspect of the Big 5, but the Big 5 is poor quality to begin with, so it was a mistake to try to add that to the test. I mean I'm not going to flat out demand it be shut down but seriously, it's disturbing that this is one of the most popular avenues into MBTI these days. Sturgeon's Law of "90% of everything is crap" seems to apply to MBTI literature and tests.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I actually think they are the best for this exercise.

They never fall foul in the usual traps for example ... Jason Bourne is obviously an ISTJ (like Damon). And not an ISTP. Kristen Stewart INTP, Poutine INTJ. Cersei is well ESFJ at the start. It is much later that she will change completely for an ESTJ style. Aragorn is not ISTP, at all, but INFJ. Daenerys, ENFJ and not INFJ... About artists, you have to be careful if you lack data.

16P is a team and validate or not the analysis of one of them. They have a fineness. They allowed me to understand a number of stereotypes about MBTI and to think differently about it.

·
Beer Guardian
PerC Host, ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE
14,980 Posts
This site is absolute pollution for understanding the MBTI and spreads misinformation like wildfire. I could let it go, except it is typically top 3 results whenever people search for a personality test or MBTI on Google, and that's just appalling.

For starters it only takes account the 4 dichotomies and goes about it like a 13 year old would after 5 minutes of looking up this stuff like: ''The difference between INFJs ans INFPs is that the latter clean their houses and sort their books into categories, while the latter is exactly the same but way too lax to do any of that stuff.'' Paraphrasing for sarcasm, but really that's what they're saying.

And then there's those dreadful celebrity and fictional character typings. They have Rose from Titanic as INFJ even though even the n00best of Jungian n00bs would tell you she's the poster child for Dominant Fi (thus IxFP). And they have Celine Dion as.....ENTP?? Not even making this up, they really do.

Why is the online MBTI community allowing this to go on?
Because we just avoid places like that? A boycott would probably be a better idea. Just tell anyone you know that this site is more bogus than most and steer them towards more legitimate sites.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This site is absolute pollution for understanding the MBTI and spreads misinformation like wildfire. I could let it go, except it is typically top 3 results whenever people search for a personality test or MBTI on Google, and that's just appalling.

For starters it only takes account the 4 dichotomies and goes about it like a 13 year old would after 5 minutes of looking up this stuff like: ''The difference between INFJs ans INFPs is that the latter clean their houses and sort their books into categories, while the latter is exactly the same but way too lax to do any of that stuff.'' Paraphrasing for sarcasm, but really that's what they're saying.

And then there's those dreadful celebrity and fictional character typings. They have Rose from Titanic as INFJ even though even the n00best of Jungian n00bs would tell you she's the poster child for Dominant Fi (thus IxFP). And they have Celine Dion as.....ENTP?? Not even making this up, they really do.

Why is the online MBTI community allowing this to go on?
I feel like 16personalities is like the "gateway drug" into MBTI, that's where I started. I started at the very bottom, I was just a girl looking for some fun buzzfeed quizzes and I stumbled into a life changing theory instead, and i'm honestly grateful with every atom in my body that it happened. Without 16personalities, I wouldn't be where I am today. It would be nice if they spreaded better information though, because if people don't go further and stumble across the cognitive functions they're just gonna be skating around on the very surface level of the theory and probably tell their friends the same junk and make it look bad. I'm telling you though, if 16personalities ever decides to add cognitive functions, I will run around my house screaming excitedly half naked with no dignity or shame whatsoever. That will be the biggest plot twist in MBTI history ever

·
Registered
404 Posts
Can you even shut down the site that way?
Besides, why would you, It doesn't hurt anyone.
You might not like this, but the official MBTI is based on dichotomies. It's a closed system and has it's manual. Unlike internet cognitive functions, where everyone interprets everything subjectively and its a giant mess. 16 personalties adds this 5th factor, but is closer to MBTI than internet's favourite cognitive functions. Keirsey or Harald-grant stuff should have different name, so there would be no confusion.
I also prefer cognitive function approach, ( more Jung than internet ones) but from Te perspective the MBTI really is about INFJ being on time and INFP being late.
Well I'm an INFP and I haven't been late to my job once (except one time when I was a minute late clocking in). But I am almost 30 and my Te has developed.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It's actually a take on OCEAN too since they added -A/-T

·
Banned
421 Posts
Is it too simplistic and the test is usually inaccurate? Yes.

Are people who usually solve buzzfeed “Which historical badass are you?” tests likely to not bother with functions and all that stuff when they’re just looking for 10 minutes of fun while waiting in a line? Also yes.

It’s like a petition to ban first graders from only learning positive whole numbers in a world integrals exist. The site has pretty pictures, fictional character typings, bolded and colored headlines to draw the uninitiated in. If someone likes mbti, they’re going to end up googling it and coming across functions anyways, like most of us here.

Yes, I think they should add something like an “Advanced Reading” page for functions. But it’s also an overkill to hate it with a passion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
you know, as a huge mbti nerd, I don’t like the site at all, bcus it has people believe mbti to be this certain way when it’s not. but tbh, it still does introduce people to mbti. It’s a first step. And i don’t think it’s that serious

·
Registered
334 Posts
There's enough salt in the OP to season all the eggs in the world.

More so, i don't see the point in launching a petition campaign to close a generally considered popular website from a place like this. The OP strikes me as someone who had no intention or desire to follow through on his statement, simply for the sake of venting his frustrations about an utterly selfish thought.

Furthermore, the idea of a website like 16 Personalities getting shut down because a ragtag group of people from one small website pressure them to shut it down, with the reason being "We don't like you!" is absolutely ludicrous. That is not how the world works.

·
Corvus Cretin
20,950 Posts
The website has a different system of typing which is fine. Just because it doesn't completely follow Yung's ideas doesn't justify censoring or getting rid of the site completely. While 16 personalities is far from perfect, it's pretty good for learning the basic ropes of typology which is almost certainly going to be the letter dichotomies. Everyone has to start somewhere after all.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts