Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Aristotle, Voltaire, Nietzsche, Rand and a whole lot of others. Machiavelli when I am in the mood for some dark humor. Recently I'd say mostly Aristotle and Voltaire.

And I do enjoy my Bacon.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Well I'm 17 and don't read up on many famous philosophers in all honesty, but one person who heavily influenced me was George Carlin. Granted, he is a comedian but in his later years he was very philosophical in his acts. Carlin was the first person to make me actually evaluate and question everything in life, whether it be authority, society, and religion.

I'm not intending to slander any Catholics that might be on here but I was raised Catholic but by no means devout. My mother had to drag me to church and I never sang along or read from the books. But when I was 14 a friend of mine showed me the "7 dirty words you can't say on television" and I was hooked on the guy. Eventually I saw his religious rants, and while I'm not that bitter about religion it certainly was a huge factor in me being agnostic now.

Not only that, but the way he complained about people highly resonates with me, because let's be honest most people on here are probably a little cynical. :proud:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Zizek
Camus
Voltaire
Aristotle
Locke
Hobbes
Rousseau
Rawls
MacIntyre
Nietzsche
Kierkegaard
Nozick
Kant

My theory on property is heavily influenced by Nozick and Rawls, my existential philosophy is drawn from Nietzsche and Camus - shifting between nihilism and absurdism, and my moral philosophy is shifting but generally draws heavily from Kant's categorical imperative.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Probably in the last year I've been influenced by the zen buddhists D.T. Suzuki and Dogen Zenji, the philosophers Alan Watts and Robert Anton Wilson, the anthropologists and humanistic psychologists Carl Rogers, Erich Fromm, Alfred Adler, Viktor Frankl and Ernest Becker, and the novelists Franz Kafka and Hermann Hesse. When I was younger I was attracted to Bertrand Russell, Epictetus, and Socrates.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Wow, let's see here. I'll try to put them in some order.

Nietzsche
Sartre
Russel
Socrates
Keirkgaard
James
Lao Tzu
Voltaire
Plato (Though I wouldn't say I completely understand or even agree with him...)
Camus
Hendrix
Mozart
Zeppelin

You could say I am an analytic, pragmatic, existential absurdest with some Taoist tendencies. The last three obviously aren't actual philosophers, but their music is something that I feel has affected my thought process and way of thinking in a significant enough way.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Buddha, Zen masters, simply because the Eastern philosophy is so much different from the Western culture/philosophy and it makes my brain think a lot to get the meanings... It is more of a philosophy than religion to me... I dont consider Buddhism religion rather than some source of spirituality and life philosophy.

I have read something from Jan Patočka (not sure if he is famous worldwide, but he is from my country... He was into phenomenology)

Reactions: HandiAce and Gerd

·
Registered
335 Posts
Socrates. I've been reading the Republic lately, which was technically a publication by Plato, but it was in observance to Socrates, so I say Socrates.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well I'm 17 and don't read up on many famous philosophers in all honesty, but one person who heavily influenced me was George Carlin. Granted, he is a comedian but in his later years he was very philosophical in his acts. Carlin was the first person to make me actually evaluate and question everything in life, whether it be authority, society, and religion.

I'm not intending to slander any Catholics that might be on here but I was raised Catholic but by no means devout. My mother had to drag me to church and I never sang along or read from the books. But when I was 14 a friend of mine showed me the "7 dirty words you can't say on television" and I was hooked on the guy. Eventually I saw his religious rants, and while I'm not that bitter about religion it certainly was a huge factor in me being agnostic now.

Not only that, but the way he complained about people highly resonates with me, because let's be honest most people on here are probably a little cynical. :proud:
Same here. I haven't read much philosophy but I would consider Carlin to be a good influence on the subject. I thought more deeply about his jokes than I laughed at them.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Any one of us, when picking even a single philosopher as the source of his views, is also picking the rest, as the philosopher in question had to have done the same with other philosophers, who in turn rooted their own theories in those of the thinkers preceding, etc.

Thus, “influence”, or at least an attempt to delineate it, is, I think, out of the question. We can mention those philosophers with whom we agree, or those with whom we've come into direct ideological contact (these are what many of the posters have been doing), but a single list wouldn't suffice to name those who, in some way or another, have had a relevance to, or an effect on, our own perspectives.

That said, lately I've been feeling a sort of allegiance to the views of Camus.

·
Registered
938 Posts
-Sacrates is my favorite of them all, but so far I still like:
-Lao Tzu
-Plato
-Schopenhauer
-John locke
-Immanuel Kant
-Descartes
-Nietzsche
-Rand and Jefferson (not officially philosophers, but hey)

My list is ever growing. I've left out quite a few because I wouldn't really consider them my "favorite", or I've only been introduced to a few of their works and I don't really know the work well enough to consider them my favorite at the present moment.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hegel (mostly Charles Taylor's commentary ^^)
Helen Schucman (A Course in Miracles)
Spinoza (Ethics)
Shankaracharya (The Crest Jewel of Wisdom)

... after that there are a lot of important influences who deserve a lot of credit but they didn't quite so totally build my foundation. They could have, but to some extent it's just a matter of who gets there first. There are so many great teachers and a lot of what is taught is common ... (or is saying that betraying my influence? :p)

Any one of us, when picking even a single philosopher as the source of his views, is also picking the rest, as the philosopher in question had to have done the same with other philosophers, who in turn rooted their own theories in those of the thinkers preceding, etc.

Thus, “influence”, or at least an attempt to delineate it, is, I think, out of the question. We can mention those philosophers with whom we agree, or those with whom we've come into direct ideological contact (these are what many of the posters have been doing), but a single list wouldn't suffice to name those who, in some way or another, have had a relevance to, or an effect on, our own perspectives.
Maybe it is a misleading question in asking for a philosopher who has influenced you most powerfully. Maybe it is more accurate to just ask with whom or even with what works you have had contact who or which did a lot of your philosophical raising or bringing you up. They are kind of like your parents in a way. I don't think it is beyond question to pick out your own parents who most raised you, no matter how many influences you've had. It doesn't even have to mean you even really agree with them. But I agree, it would be silly to try to actually list all your influences. To be really exhaustive I think you would have to list not just humanity as a whole but your entire experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts

That said, lately I've been feeling a sort of allegiance to the views of Camus.
You're the reason I had to pick JD Salinger as an avatar and not Camus ;)

Albert Camus is the only philosopher who I have actually read more than just an excerpt or summary of. Reading The Myth Of Sisyphus was a god-send to me. It so clearly described so many ideas I had begun to feel and only vaguely articulate. Whether I'll always fully believe in Camus, who knows.

I have also liked some of Spinoza's things that I have read. Mostly just for his trolling attitude and early ideas about textual criticism.

I'm looking to explore Wittgenstein next. But honestly I should probably read up on some overall summaries of philosophy first. Since you are right, philosophy has just been one long game of conversation/telephone of a bunch of men and women.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts