Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know I change my type like every five minutes, but due to a series of serious self reflection and further researching, I think I may possibly be an ISFP (still unsure about Fe/Fi but..). And the more I think about it, the more it sounds about right.

Except

I don't really resonate with the personality descriptions that

..SP's don't like organized education
..SP's prefer to use their hands
..SP's prefer to live in the moment
..SP's prefer sensory stimulus to abstract things
..SP's don't like theorizing, and lose interest in abstract concepts

And other things of the sort

I like to think I'm pretty disciplined. I don't follow impulses and urges; I'm actually rather deliberative. I tend to live in my head a lot (always fantasizing scenarios that I would like to live out, but never actually do, and I do an unhealthy amount of introspection), and feel like I don't take advantage of the present enough. I'd rather sit and watch things rather than actually participate with my hands/body (just the act of seeing all of that information is good enough for me!:) )

And I looooooove theories and ideas. The more abstract and detached from my life, the better! I love analyzing things and looking for the deeper meaning. I'm heavily involved in academia, and plan to stay in the academic field for quite some time. I've had many teachers and professors comment about how I have unique ideas and ways of thinking, and I've had others tell me that I think deeply and broadly about things. But the thing that separates me and the intuitives is that I take more of a bottom-up approach when I analyze things. I use my Se in my own philosophizing. I like to gather as much detailed information as possible, and I like to probe at the significance of a specific thing. And when I'm satisfied with this, only then will I start connecting the dots and theorizing about how all of these are related into one big, comprehensive idea. In my mind, I think that's how Se/Ni works.

So, my question is, are there any other fellow abstract Se-users who want some love?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
If I had to go just by this, as well as some of your other posts that I've seen, I'd say that you sound like an ISFJ.

But the differences between sensors and intuitives isn't anywhere near as black and white as personality descriptions like to pretend. SPs usually do prefer to live in the moment and do, by definition tend to prefer sensory stimulus to abstraction, but that doesn't mean a dislike of theory. I personally HATE heavy abstraction and philosophical concepts that don't seem to actually hold any meaning outside of a person's head, but I love theory since it actually clearly represents something in the real world. I love science and I think that space exploration is cool and that people who oppose it are short sighted. That doesn't make me an N type, because I still prefer working with the concrete. I can read about astrophysics, but I personally couldn't ever make a career out of it.
I actually find that Ti or Ne/Ni theory/concepts and Se experiences compliment each other very well.

As for organized education, the only people I've really met who seem to thrive in that environment have been SJ types.

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
So, I know I change my type like every five minutes, but due to a series of serious self reflection and further researching, I think I may possibly be an ISFP (still unsure about Fe/Fi but..). And the more I think about it, the more it sounds about right.

Except

I don't really resonate with the personality descriptions that

..SP's don't like organized education
..SP's prefer to use their hands

And other things of the sort

I like to think I'm pretty disciplined. I don't follow impulses and urges; I'm actually rather deliberative. I tend to live in my head a lot (always fantasizing scenarios that I would like to live out, but never actually do, and I do an unhealthy amount of introspection), and feel like I don't take advantage of the present enough. I'd rather sit and watch things rather than actually participate with my hands/body (just the act of seeing all of that information is good enough for me!:) )

And I looooooove theories and ideas. The more abstract and detached from my life, the better! I love analyzing things and looking for the deeper meaning. I'm heavily involved in academia, and plan to stay in the academic field for quite some time. I've had many teachers and professors comment about how I have unique ideas and ways of thinking, and I've had others tell me that I think deeply and broadly about things. But the thing that separates me and the intuitives is that I take more of a bottom-up approach when I analyze things. I use my Se in my own philosophizing. I like to gather as much detailed information as possible, and I like to probe at the significance of a specific thing. And when I'm satisfied with this, only then will I start connecting the dots and theorizing about how all of these are related into one big, comprehensive idea. In my mind, I think that's how Se/Ni works.

So, my question is, are there any other fellow abstract Se-users who want some love?
I think, being more comfortable with "hands-on," and "concrete experience" over theorizing and abstractions is a possible indication of Se-dominance/auxiliary. However, this does not necessarily mean that SPs cannot happily engage in conversations that involve theory.

No fucking way!

Would we even be on this forum if that were the case? (Although, SP types are in the minority here. Having said that, there does seem to be way more Ne-types than anything else. I also think there aren't that many Ni-dominants, either.)

I relate a lot to what you wrote in bold. I personally think Se can be very philosophical. I think every human has the potential to be a "philosopher"; all that it requires is that you keep an open, curious mind; and keep questioning the status quo.

I think the ideas behind mindfulness embody what the Se-Ni archetype is about. To let go, and be free, embracing the present moment, and accepting the natural process and fluidity of life.

If you are unsure of your type, I strongly recommend looking into Socionics.

But the differences between sensors and intuitives isn't anywhere near as black and white as personality descriptions like to pretend. SPs usually do prefer to live in the moment and do, by definition tend to prefer sensory stimulus to abstraction, but that doesn't mean a dislike of theory. I personally HATE heavy abstraction and philosophical concepts that don't seem to actually hold any meaning outside of a person's head, but I love theory since it actually clearly represents something in the real world. I love science and I think that space exploration is cool and that people who oppose it are short sighted. That doesn't make me an N type, because I still prefer working with the concrete. I can read about astrophysics, but I personally couldn't ever make a career out of it.
Totally agree with you here. If it can be applied to reality, theory fucking rocks.

Se is fascinated with Ni because it shows glimpses of what "could be."

Ni needs Se to provide data so that it can build it's worldview, and map out the future potentialities.

·
Registered
282 Posts
By definition, that is exactly what an SP is.

I like to gather as much detailed information as possible, and I like to probe at the significance of a specific thing
Focus on a specific thing = Si. Se takes in information from the whole environment and rapidly moves from one thing to another.

However, none of that may be significant because there doesn't seem to be even cursory evidence that the 8 cognitive functions are actually a thing. I think that I/E, S/N, T/F P/J are really just subjective measures along a spectrum rather than an absolute binary set in stone, and you're just an example of someone who doesn't fit too neatly into any of the 16 personality type descriptions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like theories too, including political theories and analyses. I'm particularly interested in green anarchism and some of John Zerzan's ideas.
What makes me an SP is my immediate desire to put these ideas into practice. "Great! So civilisation is inherently authoritarian and we should have stayed stone age. How can I put this into practice? Maybe try hiking with no shoes, or rise and sleep with the sun. Maybe learn to fish and what native plants can be eaten." I'm not too keen on armchair philosophy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
By definition, that is exactly what an SP is.

Focus on a specific thing = Si. Se takes in information from the whole environment and rapidly moves from one thing to another.

However, none of that may be significant because there doesn't seem to be even cursory evidence that the 8 cognitive functions are actually a thing. I think that I/E, S/N, T/F P/J are really just subjective measures along a spectrum rather than an absolute binary set in stone, and you're just an example of someone who doesn't fit too neatly into any of the 16 personality type descriptions.
The 8 functions are pretty obvious I'm their essence, but dogma always corrupts <3 The basic concept is simple.

In essence Jung's functions were two ways to take in data (S/N) and two ways to ponder that data (T/F). How it showcased in each life was very specific to each individual, thus you can't say SPs do this and that. Rather, a SP that is philosophical and less... P-ish would be a developed psyche. In contrast, a SP that fits an SP description would mean an SP who probably hasn't developed past puberty.

Unfortunately the 8 functions have been systematized to the pont where Jung would probably cry a tear :'( (Or he wouldn't with his developed Ti! ;D -see what I did there?)

^ apart from all that, really challenging yourself in all areas of functions should give you an idea of what fits and doesn't.

·
Registered
355 Posts
@inregardstomyself, you mentioned you are deliberate in your approach to life. Dominant Judgers both introverted and extraverted tend to be that way (hence why Berens for example classified the ISTP as a chart-the-course style which is deliberate in its approach). I don't fit much the SP description either and I tend to process theories in exactly the same way you mentioned (before realizing that I initially thought I was intuitive). Don't forget ISFPs have tertiary Ni, which is very philosophical and theoretical.

Se doesn't equate with physical movement, rather it is a perceiving function which indicates that its user takes in information directly and viscerally as they are found [hint: "just the act of seeing all of that information is good enough for me!"] ;), unlike Ne which for example would take the information found and extrapolate upon the possibilities of objects in the external environment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think Se is meant to be a philosopher. Much like a horse is not supposed to be the consul of Rome. A horse is supposed to be a slave, not a master. If you allow Se to take control of the steering wheel, your philosophy will devolve into something that resembles YOLO and SWAG.

You're supposed to keep your Se small and subdued. Like a guard dog. It has to know who the boss around the house is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts