Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wondering, do INFJ's make good philosophers? ive found that almost all the INFJ's ive met on here seems to be consistently great at deconstructing issues in a way that seems almost natural to us, which is in a sense how alot of philosophers find their answers. it could be a mix of our Ni and Fe that helps us empathise and understand human nature and sum it all up in a tidy set of values and ethical standpoints.

Im not saying that other types are not good at this too, im just thinking that perhaps we have a natural talent for it ^^

what do you think?

·
Registered
132 Posts
From my observations INFJs are usually good at philosophies regarding human nature (psychology). We use our Ni and Fe to deuce what we believe is a ideal state in human development. However, when it comes to logical reasoning as to why the world is, and how it works, we tend to focus more on our gut feeling. Even if an INFJ is correct, many INFJs find it hard to articulate their thoughts in a way that makes sense (it's worse when they're out on the spot).

Keep in mind I've only observed four INFJs talk about philosophy and interact with people who have studied philosophy. Also, I speculate that once an INFJs Ti kicks in he will be able to make bigger contributions towards the world of philosophy. That's when his logical reasoning is active.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my observations INFJs are usually good at philosophies regarding human nature (psychology). We use our Ni and Fe to deuce what we believe is a ideal state in human development. However, when it comes to logical reasoning as to why the world is, and how it works, we tend to focus more on our gut feeling. Even if an INFJ is correct, many INFJs find it hard to articulate their thoughts in a way that makes sense (it's worse when they're out on the spot).

Keep in mind I've only observed four INFJs talk about philosophy and interact with people who have studied philosophy. Also, I speculate that once an INFJs Ti kicks in he will be able to make bigger contributions towards the world of philosophy. That's when his logical reasoning is active.
Yeah alot of the INFJ's that im thinking of are like me in the sense that Logic is somewhat more prevailant than the Fe side, but perhaps my logic is due to me being a mix between INFJ and INXJ, while theirs is due to proper maturing?

Reactions: dsmjo and Invidia

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
INFJ's I've known in real life tend to better than average at understanding philosophy, but I don't know how, on average, they would compare to other types. AN INFP I knew really well was very good at philosophy.

·
Registered
195 Posts
We most certainly can and do make great philosophers (especially those who have a well developed Ti). Ni is where it's at for seeing the big picture, then Fe channels our focus towards those pursuits having to do with individual and societal well-being (concepts such as virtue, justice, the Good, the Beautiful, etc.), and finally Ti roots out logical inconsistencies and elucidates/articulates the otherwise 'arcane' stream of Ni thought processes.

We even have (confirmed) heavy hitters in our ring such as:
Plato
Plotinus
Schopenhauer
Whitehead
Wittgenstein
de Beauvoir

and many other likely candidates (some of which I've already posted in the Famous INFJ's thread).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Some people, are really put off by it. A lot of the people I meet say I'm quite deep maybe I scare them away? haha at least some of the girls I met here in Sweden tell me that I'm really oddly calm and indifferent about a lot of things.

Lots of philosophical thoughts aren't always attractive i guess haha :p

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Turning 25 in a matter of days and my Ti is finally up to snuff. I've dedicated my life to the learning and gathering of knowledge and wisdom (the application of knowledge). I've come up with some interesting theories and philosophies in the past, but hope to make some actual progress in the next 25 years. More than likely I will instill all of my life experience into a novel at some point.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I like to think i have some natural ability at philosophy. I see many more people that seem much better at it. I like discussing the issues at times but i think people are put off since i am out of sync with most people.

Turning 25 in a matter of days and my Ti is finally up to snuff. I've dedicated my life to the learning and gathering of knowledge and wisdom (the application of knowledge). I've come up with some interesting theories and philosophies in the past, but hope to make some actual progress in the next 25 years. More than likely I will instill all of my life experience into a novel at some point.
Turned 24 just a few months ago and my Ti needs more growth

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've been reading non-stop for the past year on topics such as mushrooms, religion, science, novels, the brain, drugs, etc. It's helped immensely.
I see while not the same degree of intensity my interest in knowledge has slowly increased. I notice i am researching things due to self interest. As i have said a little while ago i have taken interest in astrology. It is definitely something that has always been an untouched interest in my life. I only recently learned about how much more there is to it and still kinda need to work on deciphering my birth chart. A lot of detail work i would rather not do but i will since i think it will really help.

Interest in many more things seems to be growing. As for religion i intend to read more into them. I have always kinda had my own way of thinking and belief system. I dont have a real set one rather i just know i dont believe some certain things. I find rather then forming it i am looking at things as maybe they could fit in my belief system right now. I find somethings just dont fit at all and i toss them out and what i am left with i have to research until i have a conclusive opinion on it.

i think right now i am more concerned with my belief system and myself then the world. it is normally its the other way around

Editing because i am a crazy perfectionist

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
wikipedia is my friend and its free.

I don't write philosophy often anymore. I find that talking about anything that makes people REALLY think, and REALLY question themselves, their religion, their lives, their meaningful existence ... etc ... really drives people away.

Where do our thoughts propagate from? Is it the deep recesses of our memory, our experiences? They say that humankind, we are defined to grow up and live in a certain way depending on our experiences. We cannot randomly hate; hate is created through institutionalizing an acceptance that a group is allowed to be hated. This spreads. Is hate an emotion, an idea? Does it exist in a child? Not the expression of distaste from something sour, but the hate that drives men to kill. As humans, we are created for community - the one thing, in Abrahamic religion, that is accepted that God cannot have. And so one wonders, is hate a creation of man, or God? Is it an idea that's drawn from our minds, our community, or is it so that God created the structure of hate, and cast it down upon us, creating us in his image with the capability to hate? What does that say about God, if we so often say that hate is unhealthy, even evil?

In a deeper sense, do these thoughts come from nothing more than electrochemical responses to stimuli and past experiences? Or to they actually come from some deeper recesses of what we might call a soul? The scientist says that when the body dies, thought ceases. Thought, *as we define it*, ceases. We lie in the ditch, in a fine casket, with the gravel and soil covering us, or the flames consuming our remains. And so, if we're nothing but a mechanical, electrical, chemical system, then does our existence matter? One could say, that yes, our existence changes the face of our planet. But beyond that, the mass of our planet is effectively constant. We are not adding mass energy to the planet (reproduction would make this appear otherwise, but that is mass conversion from energy, technically, validating e=mc^2). We are not subtracting mass energy from the planet. Thermodynamics stipulates a cold death to the universe on a scale of time far beyond anything we can comprehend. Are we inconsequential?

But if each moment we feel, the electrochemicals within our brains change, we could say we aren't. We change, we learn, we move forward. But is this a result of having a soul? Does having a soul even matter? It can be shown that human population, human movement, human almost everything, can be modelled with a statistical systems model. We can be modelled with *graph theory* and *feedback loops*. Are we relevant? Do the impacts of our actions today, really matter? Do we push onward, knowing that potentially, should we all die tomorrow due to some global event, knowing that our actions today, truly, didn't really shape the course of history (if history even mattered). What's the difference between a live man and a dead man, if our actions don't mean that much?

....... Hm.... something to mull.

-- only an infj would be an existential nihilist and an apathest who's interested in maintaining spiritual good within self to avoid moral relativism.

Reactions: folium

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how can one tell if their Ti is at acceptable levels?

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Plato
Plotinus
Schopenhauer
Whitehead
Wittgenstein
de Beauvoir
Gah. They are supposed INFJs. Supposed. The only way to confirm is to let them fill out a Myers-Briggs test. The idea of Plato as even remotely confirmed is quite silly, IMHO.

ertertwert said:
I've dedicated my life to the learning and gathering of knowledge and wisdom
Ah yes. The school of logologysophy.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Yes, I do think we have a natural knack for it. Before I was exposed to any type of philosophy I was already thinking a lot about human philosophy or psychology as someone mentioned. Not traditional psychology though, ethics peoples behavior stuff like that, all at the age of like 16 when I was scrapping by in my high school classes with Ds and Cs. Our flavor of philosophy would be different than a Kant, Aristotle, Voltaire. You find philosophers in different outfits too, the stigma of a philosopher being a cold hermit, alone thinking all the time seemingly restricts the field to that type of people which I believe to be a mishap, there needs to be more Francis Bacon type of philosophers who also practice what they preach. Not saying others didn't but I believe Bacon to be a prime example.

Constantly thinking all the damn time about philosophy related topics and reading helped me and also trying to carry out these theories in my mind in how they would actually work and function and if they made sense helped with my Ti development. My writings and thoughts now, compared to then its almost as if I am sure of less now than when I was in my late teens when I was self righteous, arrogant, rash and juvenile in my beliefs.

P.S. if any INFJs are interested in philosophy and looking for a place to start, Will Durant's The story of Philosophy is an amazing book to read to get your feet wet and give you a path to follow, he also reccomends a lot of other books to read in his own book. If you have the money, don't just check it out from the library, buy it, you will be happy you did.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Obviously I can't speak for all INFJs but I have always felt I had a knack for it. It's what kept me silent and observant throughout my childhood. I used to wander off from my mother - it drove her insane. She still tells the story of how I wandered off in the Atlanta airport when I was two years-old, and after a long frantic search they found me, quiet and calm, idly looking in shop windows. To her, that story sums me up entirely, it is me. I wanted to see the people. A girl tosses her hair with a sneer, and a boy moves closer to her, laughing. Why? What are they saying with their eyes and bodies? My mother arrives and grabs at me as though she wants to kiss me and kill me. Why? She feels afraid. The fear makes her angry. I cry then, because I'm sorry I made her feel bad.

These were some of my earliest impressions. And I read and research when i have time, but most of what I absorb and explore comes from the same source - people, situations, life. I've worked in daycare, hospitals (civilian and veteran), nursing homes, psyche wards, detox/rehab facilities, telephone relay services for the deaf community, banks, and currently I'm a bartender. And when I go to the store with my mother, I still wander off :)

Edit: actually I must have been three years-old, because she was pregnant with my brother at the time. Not that it matters, but it was bugging me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
We most certainly can and do make great philosophers (especially those who have a well developed Ti). Ni is where it's at for seeing the big picture, then Fe channels our focus towards those pursuits having to do with individual and societal well-being (concepts such as virtue, justice, the Good, the Beautiful, etc.), and finally Ti roots out logical inconsistencies and elucidates/articulates the otherwise 'arcane' stream of Ni thought processes.

Plato
Plotinus
Schopenhauer
Whitehead
Wittgenstein
de Beauvoir

and many other likely candidates (some of which I've already posted in the Famous INFJ's thread).
I don't think Plato was an INFJ, he might even have been an ENTJ, but we can never be sure (I also really doubt Wittgenstein was an INFJ and Whitehead might also have been a T, I don't know Plotinus and de Beauvoir well). Spinoza and Kierkegaard seem like INFJs, but it's almost impossible (it's guessing) to type people who you haven't met in person and you don't have many video recordings of.

I'm an INFJ, I'm studying Philosophy and I also noticed that the INFJs on this forum seem to have a philosophical side to them. I think the N (intuition) is the biggest indicator (MBTI type related) of such capabilities.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I don't think Plato was an INFJ, he might even have been an ENTJ, but we can never be sure (I also really doubt Wittgenstein was an INFJ and Whitehead might also have been a T, I don't know Plotinus and de Beauvoir well). Spinoza and Kierkegaard seem like INFJs, but it's almost impossible (it's guessing) to type people who you haven't met in person and you don't have many video recordings of.

I'm an INFJ, I'm studying Philosophy and I also noticed that the INFJs on this forum seem to have a philosophical side to them. I think the N (intuition) is the biggest indicator (MBTI type related) of such capabilities.
I've never considered philosophy much, but it seems right up my alley. I just purchased a bunch of Kierkegaard's writings and cannot wait to get them - the excerpts of his I have read online blow me away.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts