Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here been told they have a photographic memory before? My friends and family have told me that I do in the past and I'm curious if it's personality related.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Has anyone on here been told they have a photographic memory before? My friends and family have told me that I do in the past and I'm curious if it's personality related.
I think ISxJ's probably have really good memories in general due to Si being our dominant function. I don't necessarily think it's our mental capacity or capabilities that give us this...I think it's that we want to remember things, since we use past experiences and knowledge to guide us in the present so much. I know for me, if I want to remember something, I'm usually very good at it, but if it's something that's not important to me, I don't remember it well.

So I definitely think it's type related in at least some form or fashion, especially somehow to Si.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My ISTJ brother does not have a photographic memory (that I know of), but he does have perfect pitch and an excellent memory for music; he self-taught himself to play the piano by ear.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I guess you could say that I have a photographic memory of sorts. I remember things from 40+ years ago in full color pictures--almost like a snap shot of a moment in time. The down side is that I can't seem to control it--I remember some of the craziest things, but I can't will myself to remember a particular thing. I've tried to remember things like pages of text, but no go.

Perfect pitch would be so awesome...never could nail that one down.:frustrating:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Nope, I think my brains broken or something. I often get turned around and I often begin to work methodically in order to avoid a reliance on memory, but just prepare for things as I go. I think I just get side tracked too easily, be it other people or racing thoughts within my head, it just doesn't make it easy to remember.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
My Te is busy cataloging that piece of data. Stored in the folder "Interesting things to know about Sela."
:laughing::tongue::wink:
LOL! Not that it helps me in the REAL world, because in the real (i.e., business) world, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.
But your statement was funny nonetheless. :laughing:

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I do not have a photographic memory. However, I'm diligent and stubborn, and that's served me well in both work and school.
... and I have perfect pitch.
It is funny how we see the bright side in being stubborn. I think of some stubbornness as only natural, and its probably wrong to fight against it too much. An honest view is also something to treasure though, and stubbornness can bury it

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nah I don't have a photographic memory but I am good at remembering minute details that most people do not remember or even notice- I attribute this to Si.
Yep, IMO this summarizes me as well. I don't remember everything, but the fact I remember small details of past events that others don't remember makes them think I have a photographic memory. I agree about the Si, that tends to make it seem like you have a photographic memory, when in reality, you don't. And I too have good pitch...........thats why I'm in a choir class. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I do not have a photographic memory. In fact, I have a very bad memory. I forget things that happenend from 3 seconds ago to 3 minutes to 3 hours to 3 days ago. I remember nothing. In fact, its like an art of ignoring things. I am the absent minded person you hear of...:blushed:

I attribute this IMHO to my Ni function where I am more busy constructing up random events and scenarios and complex ideas rather than noticing whats happening around me. However, I can remember things very easily if they were important to me and I was paying attention and not using my Ni function excessively.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I have a photographic memory, in the most literal sense of the word. It's very visual, like images in my mind. I don't always remember the details of a situation, but I will remember the gist of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have a *what was the question? Oh yeah* photographic memory. I can remember certain things, if interested in them enough, very detailed. I also remember details that other are surprised at. But most things are too far back in the storage vault.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i remember things in images...does that count as a photographic memory? And sometimes that make conversations difficult because I am trying to think of a word, and all I get are pictures!! :confused:

It mostly depends on what it is I'm trying to remember, and what else is going on in my life at that moment. Like I can instantly remember the name, shape and country of a specific aircraft, can spit out random facts on just about everything...but sometimes I forget to fold the laundry or do my homework. but I can also remember conversations and events in ways that others do not. Sometimes I am the only one who remembers at all... :dry:

OWL

·
Registered
295 Posts
I don't know about having a photographic memory, but I do have a very good memory, and I will often remember details, and visuals: what someone said, exactly, where they were standing and what they were wearing.

It's not always nice. There are some things I'd rather forget, but can't. :unsure:

Reactions: niss
1 - 18 of 18 Posts