Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I go through life everything is constantly striking me as "me" or "not me". I feel a sense of resonance and identification with certain things in my environment which are somehow related to inner ideals which form the core of my identity. I tend to collect these things, gather them and keep them around me almost as if I am gathering up pieces of my soul which are scattered across the world. I feel a need to own these things, to keep them close.

Hmm......perhaps you could think of it somewhat like this. There are two manifestations of myself, the inner and the outer, they are both the same, but because they exist in different media or realms or dimensions or whatever you want to call it - the spiritual and the physical - they are not quite made of the same stuff. My inner self is completely intact, but the outer self has not yet been fully assembled. I find pieces of this outer version of myself, this mirror vision of my inner self, all over the place and bring those things together a little piece at a time.

Various things which I experience become a part of me, like music I listen to or books that I read or movies I watch. It's not just at a spiritual level that these things become a part of me, it would seem, becauase I seem to have a need to actually own physical copies of these things. I don't like not being able to own something that feels like a part of me. So I often won't even bother to listen to or read something that I do not, or cannot, own and have near me and re-experience whenever I want.

I just realised that this is why I take pictures. I have that sense of resonance with beauty I see in nature all around me, but I cannot take that dew-spangled blade of grass home with me and have it remain just as it is. So, I take pictures. It's my way of gathering up those bits of myself I find in nature so I can bring them home with me. Even if I never get around to flipping through all those photos, somehow it feels satisfying to know I have that moment, that little piece catalogued and saved here with me. I can own that rose bush or that sunset in some sense.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Beautiful thought....it's like we try to relate everything back to ourselves, even nature!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Its good to record. Things are always changing. What if Lewis and Clark didn't keep diaries and further more, would if they had a camera?! Wow, can't get what that looked like back.

When I was 12 we moved from my childhood home. The new owners immediatly cut down my favorite maple tree. I could see the Seatac Airport, a huge beautiful cemetary, the neigbor's rooftops, and the Seatac Strip from there. When it was covered in leaves nobody even knew I was there. It was a nice place to hide.

The new owners cut it down immediatly. The only picture we have is one I took when I was ten. I went up to the apartment house to get a whole shot of it. You can see my brother and sister's hanging off a branch.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Mmmmm....this blog post was delicious. I soo wish I had more time to simply soak up nature's beauty and feel surrounded by it. I suppose I too see a piece of myself in it and want to keep it with me. The same thing applies to moments of tenderness, kindness, gentleness, when either I feel it towards someone or receive it from another - - I want it to just 'pause' and 'keep it'. I take a lot of pictures too but have felt disappointed in it lately because I have a sister who started a professional photography business last year and is really GOOD at it :) I'm so proud of her, but wasn't interested enough in learning the technical aspects to go that direction. Thanks again for the post.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lullabyblossom;bt20028 said:
I take a lot of pictures too but have felt disappointed in it lately because I have a sister who started a professional photography business last year and is really GOOD at it :) I'm so proud of her, but wasn't interested enough in learning the technical aspects to go that direction. Thanks again for the post.
aww don't let it get you down, though I understand. I'm not much for all the technical stuff either. I also get depressed when I look at photos from other people who have really awesome cameras, sometimes it seems like just because of the camera they don't have to do anything but point and shoot to get an amazing photo, sigh...... I finally got a fancier camera, but the process of learning how to make use of all its capabilities is going to be a long process. I always have to learn by experimentation on my own before instruction booklets mean anything when I try reading them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts