Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rather than spam the photography thread, thought I'd start a blog for my photography improvement journey. It's going to take a lot of reading and experimenting to attain my goal.

Not much into shooting people but kids are an exception. Candid shots are more appealing to me than set up shots since kids are rarely motionless. Their energy levels are part of their appeal, beyond being adorable.

These two were wonderful. The little boy was sweet, thoughtful and confident. The little girl was bold and curious, demanding that I take her picture but couldn't hold still to save her life. In the third pic, she flung her arms out at the last second.

This father and son duo symbolized the difference between how fathers and mothers interact with their children. Fathers don't have a problem with children splashing in puddles and will often enourage them to do so.

I tried to capture a face pic while he was splashing but he froze, as if to say 'oh no, she caught me in the act'. Wonder how his mother would have behaved, had he splashed in the puddle in front of her?

Practicing two types of bokeh, balls and creamy background.

·
Corvus Cretin
No Type Clause
26,580 Posts
Very good shit.

Reactions: mia-me

·
Registered
INTPish (549)
375 Posts
I love the way the white of the flame is surrounded by a little highlight of blue and then blends into the candle.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Champagne, moonlight, gold and silver. I'm experimenting with aesthetics, relative to softer moods and story telling. This pic is far from perfect but for now, it's good enough since I'm too lazy to reset it up to fix the two main problems.

What was interesting is that even looking back at pics taken a month ago, I can already see a minor improvement. This helps to encourage me to continue practicing and experimenting, shooting a hundred to hundreds of pics daily. It also provides me with even greater respect for photographers who've focused on refining one or two themes for decades, hoping to shoot exactly what they've envisioned. Mad, mad respect for that type of dedication. It's a calling. Perhaps one day in the distant future I'll get there or more likely, perhaps not since the inherent talent needs to also be there. Either way, the trip's been fun so far. Thank goodness the shutter's been rated for a decently high count.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Okay, I reshot the pic, this time removing the most annoying elements. This will be the last time that I shoot an empty glass because it took me forever to remove the worst odd reflections and flaws in the glass. The reason I know they're reflections and flaws is because the glass was cleaned under a 5x magnifying glass using a static free lens cloth, etc. If I ever decide to shoot again, it will be with a brand new glass, under different lighting and with a lens that's not tack sharp like this one. Grrr... Anyways, black and white changes the feel of the pic.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hand held shooting using a true macro lens (1:1). While it's not even close to being a technically ideal pic where I need a lot more practice with the lens and should put more work into post (white balance was left to preserve the dreamy quality), I love it because of the background bokeh. It's beyond creamy, to the level of buttery.

This is a very quirky lens since it takes time to understand its idiosyncracies but the possibilities are endless, once understood. If you don't have steady hands, it's not for you unless you use a tripod or gimbal for every shot. If overshooting bothers you since you want to preserve a low shutter count for the resale of your camera, again, it's not for you. There are more weirdnesses about it but that should be enough to deter anyone who wants to point and shoot. I have tons more pics where some are too sharp, showing details that you want hidden, lol.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Tried really, really, really hard to capture the cinema portrait shot where there's a giant bokeh ball behind and dim headlights that flash across the subject's face. Unfortunately, the lighting and subject (tiny jade tiger) were wrong so I switched to shooting silhouettes. At least I got the giant bokeh balls.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Took another run at the cinema shot for the past hour and this was as close as I could get. Shot it too shallow so it missed focus on part of the face and rather than a moody night shot, it turned into a quasi-daylight in the desert shot. Had fun with funky lighting so the effect is as if I had digitally manipulated the colors but I didn't.

I'm having an amazing time on this journey and can't stop shooting, using more than a third of the disk space in two months that I used for two years with the apsc. Part of it would be the much larger file sizes but even so, I've racked up thousands upon thousands of pics in a very short period of time. Why did I ever bother with a crop sensor camera? What a waste of two years.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Since there was a topic about China on PerK, it inspired this pic. The earrings are hanging because this pic is representative of a Chinese woman wearing a traditional cheongsam, earrings dangling. Not sure if that comes through to observers, hence the explanation.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is why I rarely blog because it requires maintenance. Consider this blog on a hiatus since it's possible that I'll return to it...or not. Time will tell.

·
Banned
4,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Can't resist posting this. Had to revert to crop sensor shooting for the extended reach needed to fully capture this squishy cute, fluffy, curious little one. After I said something to it, it responded but not in expected hostile squirrel scolding. Moreso quiet little chirps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.