·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I hate cliches. They annoy me.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

If I hear/read this^ one more time I'm not sure I can handle it without raging. So overused.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I try to avoid being boxed in, so I tend to avoid "always" and "never" unless I am dealing with an absolute.

When irritated, I try to avoid saying any of the phrases going through my head.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I avoid the fashionable buzzwords of the moment - like "paradigm", "sustainability", and "resilience". The stuff that the rah-rah school of managing people is made of.

I think "resilience" in particular would be irksome to an ISTJ. We do what needs to be done. We do not glorify it. We are what resilience means because falling apart is not an option.

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
I avoid using "organic" in describing anything other than biological molecules. I don't use "calculus" or "optics" in describing political moves. I try to avoid all mention of macacas, corn-bread, and fried chicken and if I ever visit D.C., I'll be careful not say "niggardly".

·
Registered
427 Posts
Recently there has been a huge misuse of "piuttosto che" ("rather than") in Italian language and it's slowly taking the place of "invece di" ("instead of"). I use the latter every time I have the chance.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I try to avoid being boxed in, so I tend to avoid "always" and "never" unless I am dealing with an absolute.

When irritated, I try to avoid saying any of the phrases going through my head.
This drives me bonkers. So many people use "always" and "never" for their own little absolute opinions. I'm past the point of explaining the error to people because they normally won't get it....or care. To me, this is a sign of a lack of intelligence or inability to see all sides of something. Absolute statements just beg for me to poke holes in them....usually very easily. I think feelers are guilt of this.

Anyway, something you'll never hear me say....."that's what she said...hur hur." It's funny to see who the dork will be that actually uses the statement. I usually follow with a "congrats" (for being the lamest one in the group) or "there it is".....because everyone was really waiting to see who the jackass would be.

·
Registered
62 Posts
For some reason I really don't like it when people say, "It's doing my head in."

Yet I will say, "It drives me nuts" or "It drives me mental" which isn't really that different.

I just don't like the idea of conceding that something is destroying your head. I always think, "Get control of it, it's your head." Real warm and fuzzy aren't I!

But saying your going nutty or mental to me is more of a joke statement, where you laugh at the situation you're in or even if you can't you can still go on.
Whereas, doing my head in sounds too serious, like the situation is too much for you and you've given up.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts