Registered
1,011 Posts
Sort of a "Shit People Say" in reverse.

A thread for phrases you struggle to say, including things you:
prefer not to say,
only rarely say,
would never say,
regret saying,
might say but might not necessarily mean.

Examples: http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/114603-phrases-you-avoid.html
Would never say / Avoid saying:

• "If you do me this favour, I will love you forever/I'll be eternally grateful!"
  • Compliment myself without being sarcastic

Might say but might not necessarily mean:

• Stuff like "I'm sooo bored..." and "It's sooo hot!" though untrue. It's the sort of thing you say to create common ground with others. You know, easy and safe commentary of the everyday type.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also never "literally [insert thing I did not literally do] this or that". I swear most people don't even understand what the word literal means.
I'll make an exception to one of the phrases on my list: it ALWAYS bothers me at least a little bit when someone does that.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
prefer not to say - you ganna finish that?
only rarely say - i need your help, i need a favor
would never say - you can get an extra X for just Y$ more!
regret saying - get off the wheelchair and say it to my face (don't ask how this happened but it did)
might say but might not necessarily mean - i want to be with you! (i just want what you have hahah)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
"Don't sweat it!" -Fuck you to whoever says that
"Beating around the bush"
"Cut to the chase"
"Touch base"
"Reach out"
"Paradigm shift"
"Team player"
"Epic"
"Fail"

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
"That's retarded."

·
Read Only
795 Posts
1: Bro
2: Brofist
3: Broski
4: The word "heart" used as a figurative chamber of emotion and spirit juice.
5: Don't be that guy.
6: Relish.
7: And @enmity reminded me that people who say, "OOOOHHH EPIC FAIL DUDE EPIC FAIL." are asshats.
That's it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
"Yes, let's talk about how hard life is for you"
"Of course you're right! People are so unfair to you!"
"Let's share feelings"
"Omg bffs!!" <-my eyes bleed if I read this on facebook
"Yolo"
"Hug me"
"Love me"

And the one I never mean: "Yes, we have to meet up someday..."

Edit: Pffft, just saw the same thread in the INTJ forum! Damnet. Reposting there.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I never use any phrase with regards to luck. It really annoys me when other people say that about things that blatantly are nothing whatsoever to do with luck.

I don't use IRL on the internet when talking about my life. It suggests that the internet isn't real life. On the contrary, I should imagine that the internet is a vast part of many people's lives. I appreciate the sentiment of the phrase, but I won't use it myself.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Things I will never say in this particular context:I love you! ( particularly said by over affectionate friends every single time they see each other)The one I rarely mean: How are you? *Person answers with short tibit*That's good!Things I sometimes regret saying: Sure, I'll help you.Sure, I'll go out with you. ( I particularly hate saying this to my very extroverted friends, as they never stick with one activity for the night.)Things that make me cringe/ things I hate saying: What's your major?I feel so cultured today.That's so mainstream.What about dem ( insert random sports team)!Saying the words awry or transcending. It makes me feel very pretentious."Swag". Enough said.Using hipster as a positive adjective. Actually, just using it as an adjective alone makes me cringe.

·
Banned
649 Posts
"I'm lost, can you help me to get to Z?"
I'd rather drive around with a map than pull over somewhere and utter that phrase to someone.

"I feel so bad for you!"
I say this every once in a while. Even if I do have pity for someone for whatever reason, I'm more likely to say "that sucks" instead.

"I need help." or "I don't understand how to do X."
If its necessary for me to say those phrases, I will say it. But often times, I try to avoid letting other people know if I'm having trouble with something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts