1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
98 Posts
the only phrases I consciously avoid are ones that a stupid person would say to try to sound smart, or similarly, phrases that a boring person would use to try to sound interesting. I draw a mental red line whenever I hear someone utter something preposterous.

I can't think of any specific examples of phrases right now but the words "synergy" and "swag" come immediately to mind.

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
"I hate...."
"...is gay"
"people are..."
"The world is..."

EDIT:Thought id add why i avoid these words as i assume thats more what you're interested in.

I hate is avoided because hate is such a strong word, I prefer dislike.
I try and avoid saying gay because when ive said it, its been used as in saying somethings crap or stupid which in a way by using that word with that intention is relating the word gay to those meanings whilest its also been heavily related to homosexuals so im promoting ill use of the word which then puts a bad connotation to homosexuals, so I avoid it though its been apart of my language i can slip up unfortunately.
Avoid people are as its a very general thing and im probably going to be wrong.
Avoid describing the world as i know very little and have experienced very little of the world so i have no merit in saying such broad things

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hmmmm...

1. "I don't mean to be offensive but..." (If you begin a sentence with this, it will undoubtedly cause offense, and you know it, so you probably do mean it).
2. "I know it sounds cliched but..." (Yes. It is a cliche. You are not wise or insightful).
3. "FML" (Oh no, my Mum asked me to take some personal responsibility and clean my room. FML. Grow up!)
4. "I'm not racist but..." (You probably are...)
5. Pretty much anything that people say to criticise something that has no relevance or bearing on their life whatsoever, e.g. "How can you eat that" (With my mouth. My mouth).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
"I'm not racist but..."
"I'm not homophobic but..."
"I don't want to offend you but..."
"Your optimism is so annoying"
"The world sucks"
"People suck"
"Men are all the same"
"Women are all the same"
"Shall we go to the disco?"
"Shall we go to that FREAKY party?"
"Loser!"
"Your dreams will never come true"

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
Such and such is stupid(such a blanket term)
Im not being rude but your ass looks massive in those shorts
Check out that fit bird!
That girl is such a whore
Women, can't live with them, can't live without them

·
Premium Member
15,402 Posts
This too shall pass.
God made it so
Here's my two cents
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger
You "get me"
the word "unrequited"
It's God's will
God won't give you more than you can handle
No pain no gain
Just sayin'...
You complete me.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
@Theodore reading my mind again...

-You have too much time on your hands
-Get a life

^These two phases immediately came to mind. I have always felt a surge of anger when I hear these phases directed at someone because it is presuming that you know how to be that person better than they do, which is bull.

Other phases-
calling someone a Douche or Douchebag - why do we always have to use insults that also insult feminine things? I wonder how many women don't want to use to douche because they think it's some kind of shameful item now. That is, if they needed one. you don't really need em ... but uh.. yeah.

I don't use LOL or any of those laughing acronyms online. I think it reads weird. I much prefer a simple "hahaha" or "heh heh". I think it's because I write the way I speak, and when I laugh I don't say "lol lol lol", I say "ha ha hah". :) heh

I know, right? ugh, I just don't like this one. What does it even mean?

That's retarded or You're retarded - we don't need to be insulting mentally disabled people.

That's gay. - again, putting a negative connotation on something that is already oppressed enough. Like kicking a guy when he's down.

It's a dog eat dog world. or In the real world... - Or any of those phases that make the "world" sound like a horrible, unforgiving place or that people are inherently bad. Because well, I just don't believe it!

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I avoid using any size description for a drink other than Small, Medium and Large. What's with all these fancy names for a 16oz cup of coffee? Give me a break. I want a medium coffee. You figure out what that means. For some reason it feels humiliating to use the restaurant's hip lingo.

And the same for giving a new word to an ordinary thing, like calling a square bagel a "squagel". What the hell. I am not going to say "give me a squagel". That's just embarrassing. I will call it a bagel and you will understand what I mean. geez. you think you're all special because you made a square bagel. It doesn't taste any different than a regular bagel, therefore it is not special! However, if you have made a new kind of bagel, say a fragel, and it is totally different tasting and made differently, then I'll say "give me a fragel." but just because it's square, I am not calling it a squagel. That is dumb.

all these catch phrases that companies give to their product to make it seem more special... just dumb. It almost feels insulting. I'm not going to use a new language just to patronize your business. good lord.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh and one more-

When you're older, you will understand.
ugh, shut up. So condescending. I don't like any phrase that assuming youth is inferior to old age. We are all on different levels, as far as I can see. I would never say that to someone, even if I was thinking it. It comes across as rude and narrow minded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts