1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I try to pretty much avoid anything shallow... like "Great day outside today!" "Man it's hot today." "I heard we're going to get rain tomorrow."

All I can think about for examples is the weather right now... but you get the idea haha.

I'll be adding to this as I think of them. I have toonnnsss of things I avoid saying.

"Does it look like I really care?" is something you'll probably never hear me say directly.

Wow. I just realized whenever I use the word "never" I tack on "probably" and "most likely" so it's not so definite. However, I will say "always" and mean "every single time" without batting an eyelash. I guess in the positive it can be concrete, but in the negative I avoid it.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
"Oh, you're black? My really good friend from back home is black!"

(Insert any other minority...people say it with good intentions, but it usually doesn't come off well.)

"What's wrong with you?"

"I only say things that are important."

"So you're asian, does that mean you like lock yourself in your room for five hours and do math every day?" Stereotyping, obviously.

"You're the most boring individual I have ever met!"

Oh and a big no-no for me:

"I'm a piece of shit" or anything else degrading to the self.

Reactions: iamken

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
It's like nails on a chalk board when anyone is degrading to themselves........... I never put myself down, and I hate it when people say "Sorry" a lot, because you know what "Sorry" means 90% of the time? "I apologize for being who I am."

"I really don't think you're understanding..."
"I'm so sorry!"

"No, no, don't do it like that."
"Oh man I'm sorry! :("

"Hey how are you?"
"Good morning! :D OH NO I MEAN AFTERNOON. I'm sorry...."

Pretty much I'm never sorry. Sorry is very, very negative. I apologize, but I'm never sorry. There is a huge distinction.
"I apologize for my behavior, because it was uncharacteristic of me, and I feel really, really bad...... but there's nothing wrong with me. I'm human."

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I strenuously avoid referring to someone as a disability. For example, I won't say spinal cord cases, or epileptics. I will take the time to say " People with spinal cord injury", or, "People with epilepsy"
Oh yeah I know what you mean. They are just people who "happen to have"...

Gosh, I'm spamming the forums again... but I can't help it. I'm feeling super social today and my friends are all busy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"I don't care"
If somebody hears me say this, they know something is wrong. Not that I never say this, but if i do, I'm probably highly stressed/tired.
Also, I tend to jokingly make fun of people, but only if i can be certain that I am not actually hurting their feelings.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I never say "Oh my God", "Jesus"(as an exclamation or like a "bad" word), or "Oh my gosh". I'm a Christian and I feel like those phrases are disrespectful. (No offense to anyone who does use those phrases.)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Oh christ this thread is like bait to me...

"No I do not give hugs today, I do not give hugs ever. Is that a rainbow in the sky today? Oh goody, and now the birds are singing too. There goes my Sunday morning."

·
Registered
292 Posts
I personally avoid any kind of offensive or aggressive words (insults, etc). There are ALWAYS better ways to push an idea into someone's mind without making them be on the defensive about every f'ing word you say after that, even if that person fails as a human. Destroying their logic is always better than destroying their self-esteem or feelings.

"I don't care"
If somebody hears me say this, they know something is wrong. Not that I never say this, but if i do, I'm probably highly stressed/tired.
I hate to hear "I don't mind" or "I don't know" when referring to people's preferences on their happiness/needs because I use them only whenever I'm depressed and feel really bad. I hate to hear "I don't care" for the same reason, but this one gets me nuts because if you hear me saying it then it means I don't care AT ALL. I have to dislike the person a lot to respond with something like that. If I hear it I instantly think you don't like me at all :(

I never say "Oh my God", "Jesus"(as an exclamation or like a "bad" word), or "Oh my gosh". I'm a Christian and I feel like those phrases are disrespectful. (No offense to anyone who does use those phrases.)
I'm not religious at all and I don't like to use religious words just because I could hurt people who are, but you are the first person I find in my life that actually thinks those phrases are disrespectful :p

·
Registered
520 Posts
i never make mean jokes, i usually use a lot of sarcasm? keep all my words pg for 90 percent of my conversation, i dont make radical jokes, because i dont have any lol i have optimistic phrases, realistic phrases, im really corny, i say witty things a lot

actually this gives me the idea of putting what i talk about in a percentage!

25% sarcasm
20 % inquiry (asking questions about people)
20 %myself (problems, my life, ect
35% random ( anything not really categorized, spontaneous)

this is a really bad estimate because a lot of factors are missing but they should have a study on this or something lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
-That's impossible
-No way we can get that done
-NO.
-I don't like that idea
-You don't know what you are talking about
-She/he is a very smart student (I have a lot of problems with labeling students as "smart", "unmotivated" etc)
-That doesn't make any sense
-No one cares
-I don't care
-That's inappropriate (wow, is this ever overused!)
-You know, like, omg (I absolutely dislike when people use these words repetitively)
-You promise me, right? Promise?

Reactions: fatum210

·
Registered
84 Posts
Three words I can't stand:
-Annoying ("He/she is SO annoying!")
-Bored
-Normal
I've been told that to say some one is "annoying" is a way of putting yourself above another person. Because "annoying" is a vague term. It would be one thing to say, "I don't appreciate her incessant dialogue." Because it's specific, and not as demeaning as just calling some one "annoying".
The word "bored" has always been a pet peeve of mine. When I was younger and I would complain of being bored, my mom would tell me, "If you're bored then you can go ahead and do the dishes. (or whatever)" and ever since childhood, I've felt that if you're bored, DO SOMETHING. Don't just sit there and complain about it like it's something that's impossible to fix. I am never bored. I think whether you're out running around, watching a movie, or just sitting outside by yourself, there's always some way you can be entertained. There's an enriching experience in everything you do.
And lastly, "normal", just because I don't believe there is a normal. If I use the word, I usually say something like, "Good thing I'm not normal, whatever that is!" I always follow it up with something like that.

I posted a novel sized rant. Looool. My bad.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i don't know what to say to this thread only thing that comes to mind is a word and i don't know if that counts

Foodie. I LOATHE that word, it just has to force it's way out of you mouth in a most unnatural way, and food lover is just such an easy thing to say and spell, and it sounds pleasant and just why would they invent that god forsaken word!

P.S part of me wanted to make a post using every phrase that's been mentioned :p

·
Registered
Meesa Gungan
6,490 Posts
I don't like the phrase:

"Not to be mean, but...." cuz that phrase is usually followed by something mean.

I also don't like to say "I swear" I figure if you're telling the truth, the truth will be revealed somehow.

(I figure a lot of what I wouldn't say would probably be true of an ENFJ too, because I'm very much in touch with my Fe, to the point that I kinda consider myself an ambivert)

Anyway, I don't say things point blank like "what you're doing is wrong! What's the matter with you?" even if I want to, because I figure you can't change people and words like that just puts people on the defensive.

"Me first!" unless i'm joking, also, "I really couldnt care less about you or your problems! take it to someone who really gives a care!".... I never say things like that to anyone even funny looking strangers, because I'm terrified of the idea that I might somehow be partially responsible for someone's suicide by my blatant callousness....

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Oh my God"
"Jesus Christ" (in a derogatory manner)
"******"
"Gay" (in a derogatory manner/name calling)
"What do you do for your job?"
And any weather comments :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts