Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help to consider and prove an argument whether I am correct or incorrect.

Does traveling 80 miles @ 80 mph really take 60 minutes? (or it depends)

There is this video on youtube, where a blonde woman is over thinking how long it takes to travel 80 miles if one is driving 80 miles per hour.

Link:

Everyone is quick to throw this into the category of 'yet another dumb blonde' video, however, I believe her over analyzing the hypothetical question has merit because it even got me to over think the hypothetical question in the first place.

I posted the following:

In her defense, her argument DOES have merit. lower tire pressure results in a lower circumference area of the wheelbase, which lowers overall distance covered and lower mpg.

In addition, weight plays a factor too. (Car #1) with low tire pressure, 4 people vs. (Car #2) with optimal air, just 1 driver; going from pt A to pt B, same starting point, maintaining the same speed; (Car #1) will be slower and take longer to get to pt B than (Car #2) due to fighting friction, wind resistance, and gravity.
-----------------------

The 'math' may be there, but there are other variables to take into consideration. It's really based on the physics.

But no one cares about the absolute details though... only the simplified version.
This goes along the lines of 'just because one car has more horsepower than another car doesn't mean it's any faster' due to factors of weight and aerodynamics.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time, feedback, and consideration.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you travel 80 miles it will take an hour to get there at 80mph. Anyone else who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
However, I think the point she is trying to make is possibly the accuracy of car speedometers. In that case things do make a difference.
However, they tend to be pretty accurate, and things such as tire pressure/aerodynamics will affect fuel consumption rather than speed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The only thing that matters in this is traffic flow, given that speed on a straight road with nothing to block your way, it would take an hour give or take due to the slight variations on exact speed. On a normal road with curves, traffic, cops, and the speed change due to this it would probably take longer.

·
Banned
642 Posts
If you travel 80 miles it will take an hour to get there at 80mph. Anyone else who thinks otherwise is an idiot.
However, I think the point she is trying to make is possibly the accuracy of car speedometers. In that case things do make a difference.
However, they tend to be pretty accurate, and things such as tire pressure/aerodynamics will affect fuel consumption rather than speed.
Pretty much what Arbite said.

·
Banned
493 Posts
d=rt... distance =rate x time... rewritten: d/t=r... 60mph= 60 miles/hour... So, you will have traveled 60 miles in an hour... when traveling at a rate of 60mph. Common sense.

This is a uniform problem though; meaning, it involves something travelling at some fixed and steady "uniform" pace (speed/rate), or else moving at some average speed...

At certain points, they wont be traveling at 60 MPH because of resistance... stop lights...etc. And that's why she will not get from point A to point B in just an hour... Even though the majority of their trip they traveled at a rate of 60 MPH.

She's just being Captain Obvious. And her husband is making a big deal of her 'duh-durfness.'

·
Registered
815 Posts
I don't even know what people are talking about when they argue this. I too saw this on reddit, and several people in the comments came up with some bullshit arguments about how her logic is sound.

No it's not. She's stupid. 80 miles per hour is a measurement of speed. The output power of the car is irrelevant. Whether the car is missing tires, has deflated tires, has no doors, or even has no engine is irrelevant. If it is traveling at 80 miles per hour, it is traveling at 80 miles per hour.

Edit: One comment on reddit did a very good job of explaining how she came to her incorrect conclusion, however:
It's unfortunate to see so many people calling her stupid, because she simply thinks of the speed as a relative number. She has never considered the meaning of the phrase "mph", so to her "80 mph" means "80 speed". She perceives the phrase "miles per hour" as a single unit due to habit.
This goes to show how extremely difficult it is to re-assess long-standing assumptions. This is something that applies to everybody, including all the people in here calling her stupid.
source
It's a good goddamn day to be an INTP, though. I'm always analyzing long-standing assumptions.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Reminds me of the question, something along the lines of "what is heavier, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers" Logically a pound is a pound, but compare bricks and feathers and you feel like the bricks would be heavier. Am I the only one who would love to see her present that theory to a bunch of physic majors?

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I don't even know what people are talking about when they argue this. I too saw this on reddit, and several people in the comments came up with some bullshit arguments about how her logic is sound.

No it's not. She's stupid. 80 miles per hour is a measurement of speed. The output power of the car is irrelevant. Whether the car is missing tires, has deflated tires, has no doors, or even has no engine is irrelevant. If it is traveling at 80 miles per hour, it is traveling at 80 miles per hour.

Edit: One comment on reddit did a very good job of explaining how she came to her incorrect conclusion, however:

It's a good goddamn day to be an INTP, though. I'm always analyzing long-standing assumptions.
Yeah, I was very puzzled by the whole thing until I realized that she wasn't catching that units actually mean something.

There's also the fact that speed/velocity is always relative to a given referent or reference point. A car can move 80 miles/hour with respect to the ground while it's simultaneously moving at a different speed with respect to an observer in a plane or whatever.

That might be what's tripping her up. She may be smarter than we think. Maybe.

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Probably .

Reactions: Moon_Child
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.