Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice Alfa. They are supposed to bring them back Stateside next year. We will see.

My weekend vehicle:

It is not Italian, but the motor is.

Reactions: cbelle

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Nice! Is that a Jeep? My 'rents had a Cherokee a few years back and it was absolutely awesome.

I hope they do get the Alfas over there to you - they've come on a long way this past decade. In fact a recent MOT survey (it was either world wide or Europe-wide) saw a huge decline in reliability issues post 2001. Mine is a 52 plate (it was manufactured in November 2002) and I've had no problems with it... until yesterday. My 4th gear went on me lol :unsure:

I've done thousands of miles in it though and she's never skipped a beat. Amazing to drive, has a surprisingly surgical flickability in the bends.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,078 Posts
This is my baby. I love driving it. My next car will be pretty much the same but it will be the Ghia which is the one with the extras.

Oh and if we had a triple garage I would love to own a vintage corvette or camaro. But we have enough trouble fitting in the jetski and my husbands gokart that he is building himself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice! Is that a Jeep? My 'rents had a Cherokee a few years back and it was absolutely awesome.

I hope they do get the Alfas over there to you - they've come on a long way this past decade. In fact a recent MOT survey (it was either world wide or Europe-wide) saw a huge decline in reliability issues post 2001. Mine is a 52 plate (it was manufactured in November 2002) and I've had no problems with it... until yesterday. My 4th gear went on me lol :unsure:

I've done thousands of miles in it though and she's never skipped a beat. Amazing to drive, has a surprisingly surgical flickability in the bends.
Yes, its a Lib. I would rather have an older Cherokee (real Cherokee), but I bought this one for the diesel. After I get a front axle under it and an atlas transfer case-- it will be all good.

I am hoping to hold off buying a new commuter until the MiTo is brought stateside. But I am strongly tempted to buy this:

BMW diesel motor, 30 MPG...
It kicks arse.

Meet the Rally Fighter - Local Motors

Reactions: cbelle

·
Registered
54 Posts
These guys don't like American cars. How much did you pay for your Camaro? I love muscle/sports cars, but I wouldn't buy a Camaro.

YouTube - USA Muscle Car road trip pt 1: Drag racing in Reno - Top Gear - BBC
I love top gear! And at the end of that show they actually said that they loved all three of those cars. And recently Hammond did a review of the Camaro and they compared it to a Mercedes E63 AMG and Hammond said he'd rather have the Camaro.

I paid ~$40k out the door. It's the only American car I'd actually buy. Mustangs are a dime a dozen, the Challenger is a boat and the only thing missing are the oars. When I bought it the Camaro was the fastest (2011 Mustang is now a little faster), handled the best (arguably), shortest stopping distance and in my opinion looked the best. My first choice was a BMW 335i but it was too small and was $20k more.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Yes, its a Lib. I would rather have an older Cherokee (real Cherokee), but I bought this one for the diesel. After I get a front axle under it and an atlas transfer case-- it will be all good.

I am hoping to hold off buying a new commuter until the MiTo is brought stateside. But I am strongly tempted to buy this:

BMW diesel motor, 30 MPG...
It kicks arse.

Meet the Rally Fighter - Local Motors

Nice!

You Americans really know how to do cars properly. Over in Europe the most we can hope for is a fast little hatchback with ~200bhp. The latest (and one of the most powerful) is the rather impressive Focus RS which irrc develops just over 300bhp... and it's a front wheel drive!

Not sure what I'm getting for my next car. Ideally I'd like the GTA version of mine (same chassis with a bit of a body kit but a 3.2 V6 that sounds like God). Unfortunately they're insurance group 19 because of how rare they are. To put that in perspective, the Nissan GT-R is insurance group 20.

Erm :unsure:

I might go for the Alfa GT or maybe the 159 2.2 JTS :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice!

You Americans really know how to do cars properly. Over in Europe the most we can hope for is a fast little hatchback with ~200bhp. The latest (and one of the most powerful) is the rather impressive Focus RS which irrc develops just over 300bhp... and it's a front wheel drive!

Not sure what I'm getting for my next car. Ideally I'd like the GTA version of mine (same chassis with a bit of a body kit but a 3.2 V6 that sounds like God). Unfortunately they're insurance group 19 because of how rare they are. To put that in perspective, the Nissan GT-R is insurance group 20.

Erm :unsure:

I might go for the Alfa GT or maybe the 159 2.2 JTS :)
300 bhp on a front wheel drive car is too much. Have fun with the god awful sound of understeer when going around corners and the joy of torque steer when getting on the gas. RWD or AWD are required for my cars, FWD is the devil.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Beware of BMWs. They are ugly numbing machines. There's no real sensation or involvement while driving them. The road doesn't taste real.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beware of BMWs. They are ugly numbing machines. There's no real sensation or involvement while driving them. The road doesn't taste real.
Hmm I never really noticed that when I test drove one. Of course my old daily driver was my desert truck and you really can't feel the road sitting on 35" tires.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
300 bhp on a front wheel drive car is too much. Have fun with the god awful sound of understeer when going around corners and the joy of torque steer when getting on the gas. RWD or AWD are required for my cars, FWD is the devil.
It has always been the general consensus that 250bhp was an absolute max for FWD cars, but Ford developed a really clever (and much improved) limited-slip diff. It actually corners incredibly well, even when you're putting all the power down!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts