Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, PC'ers! I've finally done something I've wanted to do for quite some time, which is create this thread and attempt to type this band. Pink Floyd is one of the most interesting, influential, and commercially successful bands in history. They also have a more dramatic history than most bands as well, with numerous disagreements/reformations and so on in their time. We always see The Beatles and so on getting typed...but not Pink Floyd. And so I thought, after seeing all the interviews I could and reading about them/what they said, I'd try and type them! Here are my best bets based on what I know:

Syd Barrett: INFP
Roger Waters: INTJ
David Gilmour: ISFP
Nick Mason: ESTP
Richard Wright: ISFP

If you are a Pink Floyd fan, or just know any of the band members to type them, go ahead and we can give it our best! Agree/disagree? Every opinion is worth hearing.

(Gilmour and Wright were the hardest for me to type)

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Upon further thought, perhaps David Gilmour is an ISFJ.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello, I'm so happy you decided to post this.

However, I would type them as:

Roger Waters: INTJ.
David Gilmour: ESFJ.
Syd Barrett: INTJ?
Richard Wright: ENFJ.
Nick Mason: ISTJ.

This is my first post, btw.

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I've seen Pompeii, I doubt Dave is a straight ESFJ, I thought ESFP, he's got the traits and the obvious Se.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Interesting.

I can't comment on any of the members other than Gilmour and Walters. I personally think they are INTP and ENTJ respectively.

Gilmour's Division Bell lyrics are very INTP, I think, course, that doesn't mean that he is.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I can't comment on any of the members other than Gilmour and Walters. I personally think they are INTP and ENTJ respectively.

Gilmour's Division Bell lyrics are very INTP, I think, course, that doesn't mean that he is.
I can't see why Gilmour wouldn't be a Feeler, the way he acts is just too... considerate for an INTP. I also don't think he's an Intuitive because he has great difficulty with creatively formulating new lyrics for songs and the lyrics that he does write are usually very descriptive. Songs like Fat Old Sun and Sorrow, which are among the songs that he has written by himself, are describing locations, images and people in detail; I don't think an INTP would write like that. I also think that Gilmour's work on the Division Bell isn't a good representation of his way of perceiving the world because it was almost completely co-written with others (most notably Gilmour's wife: Polly Samson)... so I don't think Gilmour is an INTP. I think he is the perfect Sensory yin to Waters Intuitive yang though, since Waters is often too Intuitive and too metaphorical in his writing.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not certain of the others yet i think Syd Barret an ISFP.An artist that seemed to have expressed a tendency toward Fi-Se-Ni rather Than Fi-Ne-Si..

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Jugband Blues
Good point, Syd is certainly IxFP. His Fi is basically just everywhere, and he was about as big of a P as you can get. I'm having trouble pining down whether he used Ne first or Se...not quite sure about Syd, he is a bit of mystery there.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
It's kind of hard to judge someone who was in the process of becoming schizophrenic I imagine is Syd's case.

I am apt to agree about Waters being INTJ since I relate so much to his personal experiences and he really influenced my social/political beliefs. Having been stressed most my life I can certainly see from his perspective a lot.

I still can't see Gilmour being J-ish in any way except acting like one maybe when he and Waters were fighting over the ownership of the pig and over other things. It was really um interesting to say the least.

Reactions: iNdependent

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello, I'm so happy you decided to post this.

However, I would type them as:

Syd Barrett: INTJ?
Richard Wright: ENFJ.
Nick Mason: ISTJ.

This is my first post, btw.
Sorry for posting on an old thread, but I just finished reading Rob Chapman’s biography on Syd Barrett, A Very Irregular Head, and would re-type them as:

Syd Barrett: INFP.
Richard Wright: ISFJ.
Nick Mason: ESTP.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Roger Waters: ENFP
Nick Mason: ESFJ

The only two I disagree with are Roger, who certainly seems more extroverted, and also Ne. I read an interview recently with Nick, and he was saying how Roger always has seven or eight projects going on at one time. Roger is so Ne, it's frightful, and his yelling at the crowd to shut up during the Animals tour, and spitting on someone is very Fi-Te. That leaves NFP, and for me, he's more the ENFP--wanted to be the leader, and putting himself out front. Oh, plus, his battles with Dave--the classic Ne-Se battle. He hit Dave in his POLR (sorry to bring Socionics into this, but in this area, I think Socionics nails it). Dave is ISFP for sure. Watch him perform--turning away from the audience after finishing a song to tune his guitar? And Richard was also ISFP. If you read about the relationship he and Dave had--very much an in-tune working partnership. I've known two ISFPs in my life, and both times we could operate like that. On the other hand, the one ISTP I was really close with, I had the same kind of relationship with.

And now, the last one--Nick Mason. All I can think, looking at him is ISFJ. He has the soft face of an ISFJ male, but more importantly, he was such a peace maker. We have him to thank for Roger and Dave reconciling. All he ever wanted was to reconcile the guys, and still wants to play with them. And his hobbies--classic cars, flying--the sorts of things that Si would like. I also guess that his precise sense of rhythm comes from his Si, but his rather simple style would also reflect that. He never felt like a good drummer, and has to practice to keep in rhythm--another trait I've seen in my ISFJ friend--if he doesn't practice, his skills go sour really quick.

Sorry to bring up what is probably an old thread, but their new album has kind of got me listening to them again, and thinking about their types, and wondering what kind of role that may have played into their relationship. In any case, these are my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
syd infp
dave enfp
rick infj
nick estp
roger... intj. i think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
syd estp easy
david isfp
roger intj
nick intp
richard infp.....the only one im not totally sure about

kinda strange people are guessing when they can't type themselves

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dave on the other hand i am inclined to think is a shy (and thus) quiet extrovert. My bet would be ESFJ becuase he seems very much a family man with a strong sense of duty, who can be a tad inflexible at times (nothing to the degree of waters of course). Also Rick Wright strikes me as a fairly classic ISFP, and he and Dave got on the best out of anyone in the group - based on my own experience I often get on best with people that are a couple of letters different from me - there's enough familiarity to feel on a similar wavelength but enough difference to be stimulating

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a theory (that may be well of the mark), that roger waters is an INFJ with a well developed non-dom T function and his celebrity look-a-like Richard Gere is an INTJ with a well developed F function.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Roger Waters: ENFP
Nick Mason: ESFJ

The only two I disagree with are Roger, who certainly seems more extroverted, and also Ne. I read an interview recently with Nick, and he was saying how Roger always has seven or eight projects going on at one time. Roger is so Ne, it's frightful, and his yelling at the crowd to shut up during the Animals tour, and spitting on someone is very Fi-Te. That leaves NFP, and for me, he's more the ENFP--wanted to be the leader, and putting himself out front. Oh, plus, his battles with Dave--the classic Ne-Se battle. He hit Dave in his POLR (sorry to bring Socionics into this, but in this area, I think Socionics nails it). Dave is ISFP for sure. Watch him perform--turning away from the audience after finishing a song to tune his guitar? And Richard was also ISFP. If you read about the relationship he and Dave had--very much an in-tune working partnership. I've known two ISFPs in my life, and both times we could operate like that. On the other hand, the one ISTP I was really close with, I had the same kind of relationship with.

And now, the last one--Nick Mason. All I can think, looking at him is ISFJ. He has the soft face of an ISFJ male, but more importantly, he was such a peace maker. We have him to thank for Roger and Dave reconciling. All he ever wanted was to reconcile the guys, and still wants to play with them. And his hobbies--classic cars, flying--the sorts of things that Si would like. I also guess that his precise sense of rhythm comes from his Si, but his rather simple style would also reflect that. He never felt like a good drummer, and has to practice to keep in rhythm--another trait I've seen in my ISFJ friend--if he doesn't practice, his skills go sour really quick.

Sorry to bring up what is probably an old thread, but their new album has kind of got me listening to them again, and thinking about their types, and wondering what kind of role that may have played into their relationship. In any case, these are my thoughts.

"he was saying how Roger always has seven or eight projects going on at one time."

This isn't likely to be the domain of the ENFP. It's (usually) the J type personality's that are always doing something, or have multiple projects going on

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
"he was saying how Roger always has seven or eight projects going on at one time."

This isn't likely to be the domain of the ENFP. It's (usually) the J type personality's that are always doing something, or have multiple projects going on
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of that. I just know how I see Ne in action--always running off in different directions. I guess the question would be exactly what form those projects of Waters are. But Mason doesn't tell us. It is just his perspective.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Dave on the other hand i am inclined to think is a shy (and thus) quiet extrovert. My bet would be ESFJ becuase he seems very much a family man with a strong sense of duty, who can be a tad inflexible at times (nothing to the degree of waters of course). Also Rick Wright strikes me as a fairly classic ISFP, and he and Dave got on the best out of anyone in the group - based on my own experience I often get on best with people that are a couple of letters different from me - there's enough familiarity to feel on a similar wavelength but enough difference to be stimulating

Just a couple thoughts. Dave always has said that he struggles with words, and most importantly, words to express himself, and his feelings in particular. That would not be ESFJ. And he would be the first to say he's an introvert--but he's probably actually, the least shy one of the three (after Waters left--and he's an extrovert). He was always the spokesman, and the one who sort of took charge--but very reluctantly. He was kind of pushed forwards by the other two.

And I have a hard time seeing Mason as an ISTP. He's a big cuddly teddy bear--didn't like the conflict, and still wishes the band would perform together. He tried, in little ways, to get Gilmour and Waters to reconcile. He is much more Fe than Ti, as I've seen him. (and it's hard to judge some aspects of his personality in interviews in the late 80s and early 90s, because there was still a lot of acrimony against Waters then, but in the 2000's, his attitude changed. There is so much about him that reminds me most of all the ISFJs I know, and not of any ISTP I've known. Honestly, to me, the ISFJ was out of the blue, but when I saw it, I couldn't not see it, if you catch my drift. It pops out in all his interviews now.

Of course, all of this is speculation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts