Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite attracted to cemeteries and graveyards for some reason.

Before you assume I'm one of those crazy teenagers trying to get attention by saying weird shit, hear me out.

As a kid, I was afraid of graveyards like most other people, but I found that the fear was erased as I grew older. I realized that there was nothing to fear. As it turned out, I can focus on my thoughts and think much better at graveyards, because of the constant reminder that some day, I'll be like this. We all will. I tend to be much more concentrated and oddly deep in thought, and most of my ideas and inspirations come from sitting next to tombstones. If I ever need to think of something or reflect on my own life, this is where I would do my thinking.

I don't know if it's just me or an INTP thing, but I figured most other INTPs would be attracted to such locations. Maybe not cemeteries, but forests or other natural locations with some sort of meaning behind them.

Are any of you attracted to these kinds of places? Do you have a particular spot where you like to sit and think? I'm quite curious.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
the static screen from my old tv. i hear these voices and try quite hard to figure out what they're saying but was never successful. However, it's an incredible way to burn several hours of time in case boredom ensues.

sadly, these new tv's just gives a blank blue screen nowadays and i no longer hear those voices. Perhaps I grew out of it. I wish I hadn't though.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
As a kid, I was afraid of graveyards like most other people, but I found that the fear was erased as I grew older. I realized that there was nothing to fear. As it turned out, I can focus on my thoughts and think much better at graveyards, because of the constant reminder that some day, I'll be like this. We all will. I tend to be much more concentrated and oddly deep in thought, and most of my ideas and inspirations come from sitting next to tombstones. If I ever need to think of something or reflect on my own life, this is where I would do my thinking.

I don't know if it's just me or an INTP thing, but I figured most other INTPs would be attracted to such locations. Maybe not cemeteries, but forests or other natural locations with some sort of meaning behind them.
Well, cemeteries were always interesting to me too. I grew up in the converted parsonage of a church built in the 1700's, and every night when I went to bed I could look out the window and see the moonlight streaming among the tombstones. I also had a dog and I had to walk her along the edge of property, within about 20 feet of the chest-high stone wall running around the graveyard. Some nights it would freak me out; some nights I'd be fine.

But I liked to into the graveyard (or walk around it on the wall). I liked the feeling of antiquity and age, and realizing that there were people buried there who had lived so long before I did but were just people and thus had things in common with me -- perhaps sitting around thinking about life and death themselves and those who had gone before. It's one of those places where I feel like time is just one more dimension like space, and the veil is very very thin, and if I tried hard enough, I could almost see and hear them when they were living -- that it's similar to living in the same time but just in a different space, where there it was just living in a different time in the same space.

Lots of mystery and wonder and antiquity in a graveyard, among other things. I've always been interested in historical sites too, because of the feeling that if I listened hard enough, I might be able to hear someone else there, from a different time, where we intersect in space.... so close, yet so far.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm also attracted to graveyards because of that tranquil feeling you get, but I've never actually gone into one to go think. I'm more of a nature person, so I gravitate to areas away from the city life. The closest I can get to such a place is a local park, but I don't really like it when so many people are around and disturbing the peace. I would love to go to the "Sacred Grove" in NY again; I went there when I was 8 or so, but I was too young to appreciate the beauty of the surroundings. All I remember is that it was the most quietest place, even the animals don't make any sounds.

Why wouldn't someone want to go here?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I like graveyards. It's full of wonder.
I also like old trees, with branches sweeping almost to the ground. So places with that hold my interest.
I love libraries and museums. I like places where thinking quietly is the main form of activity (haha Ti).

·
Registered
369 Posts
I also love nature and places of learning, university libraries are the best. Another thing I really like is exploring industrial areas. It just feels very... real to me, because my personal prosperity is a direct product of industry, and yet its something I'm very cut-off from. Plus big machinery just looks badass. I suppose it's also a little from my days of half life 2 modding, where everyone was all about the industrial decay. I'd probably be into that urban exploration stuff if I wasn't scared of getting caught or killed or something.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
There is an island I go to during the summer that is usually pretty vacant. Lots of deer, sheep, herons and occasional bald eagles. It always boggles my mind that places like that exist with almost no people.

Acadia National Park is pretty awesome too.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Places like this are all over the South. There's a bunch of places to go and ponder.

I'm attracted to mountains, creeks, rivers, and basically anywhere in nature. This doesn't mean I venture out too often, but I always feel reinvigorated after spending some time in nature.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Places like this are all over the South. There's a bunch of places to go and ponder.

I'm attracted to mountains, creeks, rivers, and basically anywhere in nature. This doesn't mean I venture out too often, but I always feel reinvigorated after spending some time in nature.
I used to live in Atlanta when I was younger. Nowadays, I really don't get to see these kinds of places so much anymore. It's been at least ten years since I last set foot there. These photos sure bring back a lot of memories.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I like cemeteries as long as they have character. The older they are or the more interesting environs they are in the better. Several years ago I spent most of the day wandering around Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Boston and it was incredible. Abandoned graveyards in the woods are also great. Neatly laid out plots on the side of a modern church with little/no landscaping or trees, not so much.

Nature in general, as long as the weather is agreeable and it isn't swamped with people.

Abandoned houses/barns/buildings.

Basements/attics. In college my favorite place to study was the most remote corner of the library basement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like landscapes of all types.

This wideness makes me feel calm and I start thinking "deep" like about my life and if I'm on the right track or things like this.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got lost a year ago on my way to the doctor's office... and I found a wooded park nearby the bus stop. I waited there for an hour or so until the taxi I had called finally found me. I'm planning to 'get lost' again when I get the chance. I was almost completely alone, except for the occasional jogger or park ranger vehicle passing by. If I had been more prepared I'm sure I could have spent the entire day there.
I really like places where I can be close to nature (but not too close... not a fan of bugs and insects) and far from people...

I also know of this gazebo in the park near to where I live now. I haven't gone back there in a while but it was a pretty relaxing place.
'Green' and 'blue' environments really relax me... so does 'brown noise' (SimplyNoise - The Best Free White Noise Generator on the Internet.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I grew up moving around the world, changing place every 1.5-2 years or so. My family always went back to my parents' first tiny little house on an island outside Charleston, SC every summer; when people ask, I say I'm "mostly from South Carolina" because that's one of my favourite places in the whole world.
Salt marsh, beige beaches with blue-grey water, live oaks dripping in Spanish moss with branches that touch the ground, magnolia trees, azaleas, cicadas...

But really, any place I know people won't bother me works. I love libraries, churches and cathedrals and the like on off days, or obscure corners of parks and gardens. The middle of a bustling street works, too- I know people are too busy to stop and try to interact with me.
One of my favourite things to do when I'm near any sort of national park/wildlife are is this: I take a backpack with enough food and water to last me through an entire day (generally a pair of water bottles and a sandwich, a grain bar, and an apple and cheese), a book, a notebook and pens, and my phone and just leave for a whole day. I leave mid-morning and return around twilight. I pick a hiking trail and go until I want to stop, then sit and read for however long I feel like it; I repeat this pattern for the entire day. It's peaceful, I don't have to follow anyone's schedule, and I have gorgeous scenery and a book!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I like any place where I won't be bothered, and where it's not too bright.
AKA, I'm a vampire. :p
I also enjoy graveyards, but I don't seek them out, my reasons being that I can't go to the nearest cemetary without worrying my parents a bit, and... I'm just kind of lazy.
I like forest settings.
I'd like to live in Seattle again. I like the rain.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Most of the places described here attract me, but I won't get out of my way to visit them. When I'm there I try to soak in as much of their atmosphere as I can though.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
#1 - Abandoned places.

Others:
Water -- creeks, lakes, oceans, rivers.. I feel compelled to be near it.. be in it.. look at it.
Any place thats alleged to be haunted -- I'm so there.
Large cities -- concrete jungles, fascinating.. food for my imagination, mystery, always something to see.
Woods -- pretty trees, or creepy woods.
Graveyards -- greenwood cemetery in NYC is one of -the- coolest places I have -ever- been.
Rooftops.
Gardens/fields of flowers; anyplace there is natural growth.. I awe at it.
Anyplace with animals (as long as they can't eat me : )
Old used bookstores/old libraries.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts