Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting to the point where I can move around and go venture to new frontiers. What kind of communities do you guys think INFJs would prefer to live in? I'm getting more suburban type stuff? Where I live now is pretty chill, but I'd like to live in some areas other than where I am now. Also it's a little too conservative. Where do you live and what do you (not) like about the community?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I personally don't like the city. I like a big house in the country somewhere, near a forest or mountains. Next door is more then 100 meters away. I don't want to be too far out that I can't get to a city though. I want this because it's peaceful.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Such a place would be hard to find, I reckon. As the development trend continues, cities are more and more surrounded on all sides by suburbs, the perfect answer for people who want to work in the city but not live there.

Makes a miserably boring place to grow up, though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm with the majority so far. I would love to have a home with a good chunk of natural land, but no more than 20 minutes from the city (not a majorly big city, though; I think we have like, 20,000+ people here, and that's plenty for me).

·
Registered
802 Posts
I like a city that's big enough to have art galleries, good bookstores, nice cafes, etc., yet still has green space, or isn't too far from nature. Of course, one of the best ways for me to feed my biophilic nature is to keep house plants and spend time with my pets. That way I can live in the city, and still not be overwhelmed with urbanization.

·
Super Moderator
11,651 Posts
Southern state on the east coast...like SC. Best of both worlds. You may need to drive a bit more than 15-20 mins, but a more pleasant ride. I wouldn't go as far as Florida though!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I personally don't like the city. I like a big house in the country somewhere, near a forest or mountains. Next door is more then 100 meters away. I don't want to be too far out that I can't get to a city though. I want this because it's peaceful.
Same.

The main thing for me is that I can be alone in nature, that it is just a step away. That I can go for walks for hours and see no one. I'd like home to be a sanctuary, a place to be myself. I usually don't get that if there are people around.
I've lived in a lot of places, but haven't found that yet.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I live in California, bay area right now. Overall I like this area - there is a lot of diversity here and it is pretty liberal. Other places I'd recommend checking out are Seattle area, New York area, and for nature and no people New Mexico has got some absolutely stunning sights - Santa Fe area is recommended. Northern San Diego is also very nice - La Jolla, Del Mar, but very expensive to live there. I have also spent some time in some states in midwest - personally would avoid living there at all costs - and been to Maryland near D.C. where my ex's parents lived, which I also didn't like but I know one INFJ guy who moved to Maryland from California and he loves it, so to each his or her own I guess.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I am from the Texas originally, but have traveled from coast to coast, mostly sticking to the south. I have lived in Texas, California, and Georgia (not Georgia by choice). By far my favorite state, and the one I would choose to live in if I were inclined to remain in the U.S., is California, specifically northern California. I also very much like northern New Mexico; Santa Fe, and even more so, Taos. I went to a national Rainbow Gathering here with my sis back in 1996, and have returned a couple of times. There is a small artist community called Arroyo Seco that I am particularly drawn to. Additionally, I have traveled a bit in Asia, Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.

I very much love the mountains, and I am particularly fond of Nepal. In the past, I enjoyed living near enough to a city to enjoy certain activities; parks, libraries, bookshops, bars, etc. I am increasingly intrigued by the notion of escaping humanity.
I also admit that I find the notion of living alone on an island appealing, though I might have to abandon my veganism and resort to fishing for sustenance.

·
Registered
712 Posts
After living in the city for a few years and not really making the most of it, I'm happy where I am now in North Vancouver. I used to live in a condo in downtown Vancouver, looking at the mountains, now I live near the base of the mountains in a big house with a huge yard and only 3 neighbours who are all friendly and helpful but generally leave each other alone. 10 minutes walk up the road I'm on the trails, in the rainforest, following one of the rivers towards the mountains. 10 minutes walk down the road I'm at the "town centre" which is basically just a small mall and a collection of coffee shops and local services. It's where everyone hangs out though if they want to hang out. 30 minutes drive I'm at my desk at work in the middle of the city. I'm isolated yet connected, have my space and privacy as a norm but have the city and all its attractions when I'm feeling sociable and want to get out into society. Best of both worlds :happy:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Same.

The main thing for me is that I can be alone in nature, that it is just a step away. That I can go for walks for hours and see no one. I'd like home to be a sanctuary, a place to be myself. I usually don't get that if there are people around.
I've lived in a lot of places, but haven't found that yet.
You edited it again!!!!!! I had a feeling you would though as soon as I read it.

But yeah.... i relate to what you wrote. :proud:
I also like to walk around , when it feels like I have the world to myself. no person in sight.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Res, those pictures are amazing. I think pictures say so much about what we idealize. I'm going to look for pictures tooo :) people should post more!
Thanks. Sometimes I vocalize better through better pictures than text. I've actually been through Sedona and South Island in my travels but aspire to see all the others. I might post more pictures and you and everyone else should too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's so like me!

Currently I'm living in Jakarta, Indonesia. It's quite bad here, with 9.5 million people population you could imagine how polluted how chaotic it is. No reliable and decent public transportation, everyone's using private car which causes super traffic jam almost everyday. Whenever I got home, I just wouldn't hit the road again -though sometimes you couldn't help it if you have to go somewhere to socialize or buy groceries.
I'm saving some money to immigrate somewhere, probably Canada or New Zealand. It's so not me living in a hectic city.

like Slyke said, somewhere near forest or mountains but still not too far from the city. I'm always trying to get in touch with peaceful mother nature. Oh and also near spiritual community! I think we all need the balance between physical and spiritual health :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
It's soooo cool to find so many like minded people!

I hate where I live now, small desert farming community drenched in ag. chemicals and reeking of feedlot stench. I'm not here by choice.

I've always lived in the Pacific NW USA. I've traveled around here a lot and I have a few communities I sort of idealize.

Bellingham WA: Right between the Cascade Mountains and Puget Sound. Magnificent natural beauty plus a great community of environmentally minded people.

Sequim WA: Located on the north end of the Olympic Peninsula in the rainshadow of the Olympic mountains. Another community sandwiched between breathtaking mountains and water (Strait of Juan de Fuca).

Leavenworth WA: East side of the Cascade range on the Wenatchee river. Sort of touristy because of the Bavarian themed town, but really beautiful with a great community. Probably not enough culture for some though.

Sandpoint ID: On Pend Oreille lake, a huge, clean deep lake in N. Idaho. Great community, lots of culture, in a gorgeous natural setting.

I definitely want to live in the country, relatively close to a community of progressive environmentally minded people. I want to be able to walk out my door and strait off into the woods.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
You edited it again!!!!!! I had a feeling you would though as soon as I read it.

But yeah.... i relate to what you wrote. :proud:
I also like to walk around , when it feels like I have the world to myself. no person in sight.
yes sorry :blushed: You must have read the long one.. I just realized after it was way too long <_< and maybe inappropriate lol. My original post was very short but doesn't answer his questions perhaps....... ^^;; I edit too much

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I lived in Southern California for 24 years. I like it, but I'm ready to see the rest of the world. I live in Oregon now, and it's a nice change of scenery, at the expense of the diversity of people. Can't have it all... I'm looking forward to living in Seattle at some point in my life. And I'll probably go to Texas for a school I'm interested in attending. But for now I am stuck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts