Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
1,503 Posts
In a certain extent. My ultimate goal is to be successful and happy about it.

When it comes to planning, I restrict myself to lists of things I should do, and lists of things I want to do. I don't make exuberant plans that I think I would not be able to accomplish now, I don't want to disappoint myself. If I think it's possible, I go for it. My plan to be successful, however, is something that will definitely stick. I would be lost without that goal, that motivates me so.

I always remind to ask myself, "Would I like to do this forever?" once my answer is yes, then and only then would I be content with my life.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
God no.

That sounds so boring.

I have a general idea of what I'm aiming for 20, 30 years down the line.

But that's all it is. A general idea. I have multiple roads I could go down that I would be equally happy with.

And as new information becomes available, that blurry image will become sharper and sharper until it becomes my life.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
God no.

That sounds so boring.

I have a general idea of what I'm aiming for 20, 30 years down the line.

But that's all it is. A general idea. I have multiple roads I could go down that I would be equally happy with.

And as new information becomes available, that blurry image will become sharper and sharper until it becomes my life.
That's pretty much the gist of me as well. I'm on all-knowing on the finer things of the future, but I do have plans to at least my general career goals - something that's roughly ten years down the road. I intend for the other finer details of my future to be worked out a bit later as I learn more and grow older.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've got my life completely planned out. Are there more INTJ's who do this?
I have a lot more written down than most people as far as plans for my life, at least a few full pages on my latest goals. I have an idea of what I'd like to be remembered for when I die, so I can work back from there.

That being said, most of what I have is more along the lines of a general direction. Life changes, so trying to plan too far into advance with really specific plans is an exercise in futility, but a general direction of where I want to head works well for me. I break it down from there into smaller chunks, trying to make sure what I'm doing day to day or week to week in the short term matches up with the general direction I want my life to head.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I've got my life completely planned out. Are there more INTJ's who do this?

This is interesting, so my INTJ cousins shared this similar trait as me too :p
INFJ here and I have also mapped out my entire life too. I already have a clear idea in mind the goals that I intend to pursue for the next 30 years, and I have also made up my mind on the career that I intend to do for this entire lifetime.

Goals and dreams is what motivates me in life and it's the only thing that keeps me from sinking into depression.
Without goals to strive for, life would become meaningless, eh?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I have some way-points plotted on the map and a fairly coherent picture of my final destination. What route I will take to reach those targets is completely open though.

I don't like to over plan. There needs to be room for spontaneity, chance and unexpected opportunities in life.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Too many things in life are unexpected..having my whole life planned out would make the unexpected *really* throw me off. I find that the more I expect things to go one way, the harder it is for me to adjust to it going another way. So I keep a general direction in mind but leave room for changes and contingency.

Thus far, I wouldn't have really predicted where I am at now..I just had opportunities come up, always while following my general direction, interests and abilities, and ended up where I am. I didn't say "by X year I will be living in Y place with Z job," it just kind of all happened.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Just the opposite. I have vague big plans, but I actually struggle with making concrete long-term plans and with making short-term life plans at all (not to be confused with planning things in the "let's have lunch on thursday" type of way - I'm talking about goals).

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a plan, actually but I do not have a layout of all the details to get to that point. I set 10 year goals etc, and know where I should be at all points. My fiancée is always on board filling out the financial plans/charts. She has a whole notepad filled, but when she tries to explain it to me I only half-listen. Details bore me.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
No, I have only vague ideas of things I'd like to do or accomplish over the course of my life. If something more appealing comes along and it's feasible, I wouldn't stick to preconceived plans and miss out on something which might work out better in the long run.

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
No. I only plan a few years at a time. Life is highly resistant to planning so it's pointless to think you can map out the next 70yrs or so and think it's going to stick. I've already had careers which weren't even on my radar when I graduated university.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have the 'perfect' plan for the next 15-20 years. Will see how the divorce goes first.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,553 Posts
Hell no. Even if I tried to plan my whole life, I wouldn't expect everything to come out exactly as I thought. Stuff changes, people change, new opportunities appear as time goes by and I don't have a crystal ball to know what can happen in my life 4 or 5 years from now.

I plan a few important things with a timespan of one, maybe two years in mind, but that's it.

Reactions: Skeletalz

·
Registered
20 Posts
Career-wise, I have a moderately detailed but still flexible plan for the next six years or so. As for everything else...haha, no.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I have a good idea of what I want to do and achieve but that plan is constantly changing as new information comes in. Id really like to know what these people are thinking who have planned the next 30 years of their life, as if you have info right now to make those conclusions. The only way a plan would work over such a long time is if that plan is vague, which is not much of a plan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, I won't play my entire life, it's just impossible. Every single day we are changing a little bit, so that long range life plan may change as well. Right now I've just planned a few months of 2015 till October, then we'll see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.