Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever planned something in advance and attempted to follow it through? With taking into account the different outcomes and versions and what each of those imply?

Normally, i never plan things in advance ever and if i do manage then it gets forgotten quite fast but very very rarely when im faced with a real -serious- problem that i gotta figure out how to fix, i go into debug mode and planning mode to figure out the possible outcomes and solutions.

That sounds like some J talent... but i am quite sure i aint an intj or an istj.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I do the same, every decision made gets a path of possible outcomes dependent on the situation - however I don't plan in advance, so it all takes place right before I make the decision. I also don't elaborate my choice unless specifically asked for it, in my head however logic has long determined the best route of action. In my head it's all an equation of probability and what's most likely to happen if you do X over Y, due to that it's also quite easy to counter possible trouble that may result.

I do the same thing when arguing, usually to stay a step ahead of my 'opponent', most of the time I know what's likely to be tossed at me long before it happens (simply because I think of logical ways to counter my own argument), which gives me that natural arrogance and superiority I can play quite well, which drives people outright insane when I look down upon them. I don't believe I've ever been caught completely off guard. That said, I am able to remain correct in 95% of the cases, lastly because many people start resorting to their emotions and leave the path of logic in the process.

Also, I enjoy doing it a lot. Also the reason why I love philosophy as 'what if' theories can be quite entertaining for my mind. Though, if impractical or unrealistic I won't bother wasting energy on it at all.

EDIT: Also, I share quite a chunk of an ISTJ, unless you're scoring 100% in your letters all the time on personality tests you will always share small traits of the counter to your letter (I <-> E, S <-> N, T <-> F, J <-> P). In my case J and P usually score around the 50% mark, sometimes P takes the crown, sometimes it's J, dependent on mood. My core personality fits better to the ISTPs description, however I've a quite a bit similarity with ISTJ's.

I hate to plan ahead with a passion though, ain't ever gonna do that :tongue:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I have gone into planning mode on occasion, especially if its something VERY important to me.

Reactions: Kadjunga

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I tend to go into planning mode when something is important. In the end I usually end up going by gut feeling anyway, but at least it's a "prepared" gut feeling: I know the probable outcomes of my gut feelings.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, not 100% but quite close. Thats the test results from a few weeks ago

And thanks for the replies... I'm just going through a hard time trying to figure out how to 'fix/help' someone who i used to care a lot for (or still do, not sure). While i was giving it a long thought, i noticed that i am planning 3 steps or more ahead to what might happen and that is very rare. Even taking into consideration the possible fallout scenarios if i approached it different. Still got to crack this nut but it's got too many variables in it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I plan things all the time. I don't usually put too much effort into forcefully following them through, though, because it's just easier to make a new plan.

The difference between J and P is not in making the plan at all. The real difference lies in the the ability to make plans B, C, D, E and F and being able to switch to them at a convenient point.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The difference between J and P is not in making the plan at all. The real difference lies in the the ability to make plans B, C, D, E and F and being able to switch to them at a convenient point.
This. Today I was doing a programming homework in pair with a J. We started at one point and even though it didn't work, he was trying and trying from that exact point where it stopped. Whereas for me, when a plan doesn't work, I try something else almost immediately. It took me almost 10 minutes to convince him though :D I completely changed the approach and it worked.

But I still have an agenda with plans for weeks ahead. Just because otherwise I would forget everything.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that was odd, posted a reply in the morning, didnt see it pop open back then and logged back in the evening to repost what i said and that didnt appear also. Only now when i made a -third- post with the same details, all 3 of em appeared.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I tend to be impulsive, and so to counteract that I have certain plans that I set in concrete, so to speak, and do not touch.

Once those basic plans are in place I do whatever I want to do at that moment. To be honest, I have a real difficulty imagining life any different from what it is now, so I just play each hand as it's dealt.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I love to live life in the here and now, but life often demands otherwise from me.

I do like to make goals for my future, but goals that I can adapt and change to suit a change situation.

A big difference for me lies between how - or even if - I plan for my personal time, and my work/study time. The former is much more spontaneus and easy-going. The later requires more planning and discipline to prevent me from endless procrastination!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I rarely like to plan, but like most things in life, I conform to planning that is required. Otherwise, if it's just planning for our friends to hang out, we never talk about doing so beyond an hour before wanting to.

I have an ISTJ friend who LOVES to plan everything. It drives him crazy because our other two close friends are another ISTP and an ESFP. We can't stand his wanting to plan things, and I'm sure he hates how we don't plan ahead.

Both my ESFP friend and I decided that on a Thursday that we'd want to go camping for the following three day weekend, and also invited our ISTJ friend along. We were to meet at my place which is an hour drive from where they were. We were either going to camp with a group of girls we knew (two hour drive), or head about three hours out to a place we knew we could go camping out in nowhere-land. We wouldn't know until Saturday morning which we were going to do. The ISTJ friend decided he didn't want to go because he didn't know the full plan; of course, neither did we but we went and had fun anyway.

While we went camping, my ISTJ friend decided to plan a camping trip with us and a few other friends over two months in advanced. He already had bought the campsite and everything. Since I don't even think that far into my future, I didn't even decide to really go until the week before, knowing I'd have to clear my weekend from any ongoing class projects at the time.

So fast forward to this other camping trip. It was definitely planned ahead of time, but my ISTJ friend sucks at planning. When he left early to head out to the campsite, he calls me on the way that he needs me to bring a mixing bowl (he was planning on making some pancakes for breakfast). I just start making the three hour drive, and then he calls me and says he needs a spatula. Finally, comes to the morning that he goes to make the pancakes, and he realizes he didn't bring eggs for the mix.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If it was up to me I wouldn't plan. But.... after 24 years of marriage to an ESFJ hubby I've learned that in order for us both to be happy, I need to plan our activities well in advance. I find that I actually enjoy it, and if I liked being around people more, I could probably be a "Julie" cruise activities director, or some related type field. I am the one that usually comes up with the ideas for our friends and family for our activities, trips, vacations, etc.

I'm happy because I'm doing things, and he is happy because I have everything well planned out in advance and everything usually works great. We took one vacation when I wanted to play it by ear and I didn't make any reservations and it was so stressful for him that it ruined the trip for both of us.

I'll probably get booed for this comment, but I think a lot of the value of learning about the personality types is learning how to get along with others, how to give them what they need, while still getting what you want. Where you excel and where you need to control your natural inclinations.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'll probably get booed for this comment, but I think a lot of the value of learning about the personality types is learning how to get along with others, how to give them what they need, while still getting what you want. Where you excel and where you need to control your natural inclinations.
No boos from me :happy:. I agree with this statement. It's a lot of the reason I ended up here in the first place...

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I get stressed out when I'm supposed to plan, especially planning for things I consider obsolete. If someone gets upset I don't plan I tell him to plan by himself and I follow along. Typically this ends with me seeing the made plan crumble in front of me. While I don't particularly care that leaves the planner emotionally destroyed on the floor.

I could never help myself but find it amusing. Yet the same person would consistently stick to their planning thing, no matter how often it'd crash.

Always reminds me to Albert Einstein's insanity quote.

EDIT: Protip: If you ever happen to be in that situation, don't you dare to say 'could have told you so before', in that instant you'll become the axis of all evil and all the persons frustration will be unleashed onto you. An even pro'er tip: Don't you dare to shrug that emotional outburst off.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I have my basic skeletal schedule that I work around (I have to be at work at this time, school this time...) Other that that, I hardly ever plan. If I had a quarter every time I said, "I never plan that far ahead in the future", I'd be rich!

I'm really good with short term planning. Long term planning (like what I want to do in a year or five) stresses me out. I don't understand how people can have their whole life planned out. Those plans usually come to naught anyway.

You know the saying: "life is what happens to you while you're making other plans"? Well, I add "so, why bother planning?"
That's basically my philosophy about planning in a nutshell.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I can't...and this aggravates me honestly. Because so much of my life needs to be structured right now. 2 things happen when I plan; 1 I either sit down and attempt to write out a coherent plan, and fail miserably or 2, I plan and have so many possible outcomes, its impossible to follow through with anything.

The only time I can make a workable plan, is when things are coming down to the wire, and my brain goes into supercharger mode. Sometimes I purposely do things at the last minute, just so I can go through the motions and adrenaline of figuring something out and finishing it at the last minute.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Like madhatter, I have a basic daily schedule. Ish. I'm not really all that good at keeping up with that, either, but it's a helluvalot easier than managing things in the distance. The only things I plan in advance are work related, and because it's necessary - weddings book 6-12 months in advance. I don't THINK about them until a few weeks prior to the wedding, when I collect balances and get schedules and addresses and stuff, but I do keep a calendar of sorts for that part of my life.

Everything else is catch-as-catch-can.

I planned my own wedding, back in the 90's. I wasn't so bad at it, really - I mean, it all came off perfectly, and I came in under budget. It wasn't even all that stressful - I knew what needed to be done, discarded things that weren't necessary, and took care of the arrangements. But, really, it was just a matter of piecing it all together, right? I needed a bouquet for myself and two for my bridesmaids. So I went to the florist and ordered bouquets for a future date. I needed invitations, so I went online and ordered them. I needed shoes, so the week before the wedding I bought some shoes. Really, it's no different from deciding you want a pizza delivered later tonight for the game, so you go online and place your order in the afternoon for an evening delivery. At least, that was how I saw it. At no point did I envision how it would all come together for the wedding day - which is probably why most of my stuff didn't quite match or "go" perfectly - but I knew the elements that would make the day go well, and I ordered them in advance and then sat back and collected gifts and well wishes. :happy:

I've planned a few parties over the years - but my style of planning is to decide that I'm having people over, send out emails inviting them, and then forget about it until the morning of the party, when I run to the store and buy snacks and booze. Party still turns out awesome, even without weeks of preparation. I don't understand how people fill so much time with preparing for future events, really. How much more goes into a party that is well-planned? I've been to a few get togethers that a friend's wife plans, and she stresses for weeks over preparing a 10-person poker party... and the result is the same. Snacks, booze, cards, and music. You can throw that together with an hour's notice. I don't get all the fuss.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts