Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In discussions with others, do you find yourself taking a position contrary to your own to understand the other sides of the topic better or to figure out where someone else is coming from and the strength of their argument? Why or why not? Is this a Ti thing? If you don't play devil's advocate yourself, does it bother you when others do?

I for one have a habit of shifting my perspective during a discussion to get a more complete and in-depth picture of the topic. For example, we had a long thread on promiscuity here in which I took the position that monogamy may not be all that it's cracked up to be, despite being monogamous myself. Discussing this alternate view with others further solidified my own stance and helped me to respect others' views on the topic.

I think slightly provoking people by presenting an alternate viewpoint and paying attention to their responses to it can help me to understand them and their point or argument in a new light. I try to present the opposing view in the least offensive way possible so as not to upset/annoy people, but sometimes I do anyway and then feel bad because I'm really just trying to understand things better. :blushed:

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,466 Posts
I don't do this but my ENFJ husband does it all the time. It can be kind of confusing if you don't know him well lol. I agree with you though - it does open your eyes to things. Even though I don't do it, listening to him doing it, opens my eyes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Playing 'devil's advocate' is rude and derailing, I've found. I don't do it, and I don't intend to. One can possibly play 'devil's advocate' for forever, if they are insensitive and boorish enough.

Presenting your own perspective is a different matter entirely, however. Honestly debating from a kind and personal perspective is far different from presenting the arguments of another person or group of people, with the intention of stirring up/upsetting someone because you have the power to do so.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Playing 'devil's advocate' is rude and derailing, I've found. I don't do it, and I don't intend to. One can possibly play 'devil's advocate' for forever, if they are insensitive and boorish enough.

Presenting your own perspective is a different matter entirely, however. Honestly debating from a kind and personal perspective is far different from presenting the arguments of another person or group of people, with the intention of stirring up/upsetting someone because you have the power to do so.
You are always so sweet and gracious, @Sire H, and I appreciate that. I think many of us are saying the same thing but in a different way: that although we wouldn't adopt "devil's advocate" tactics, we value the added perspective it provides. The way you advocate - of simple, direct communication of alternative viewpoints on a matter - I think is the best and least confusing way to go about it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think that I may have aspects of the whole "devil's advocate" archetype; however, it does have negative connotations which I definitely don't relate to (such as causing unnecessary conflict). For the sake of better understanding I feel that I should try to view things as realistic as possible, so sometimes I consider not only my personal view, but also the views of others in my circle of trustees.

Additionally, if I do offend someone I would be able to explain my motives... if they cant understand that then they're not worth your company.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Hehehehe ... one of my favourite things to do ... get people riled up and all passionate, screamy and teary about a subject just because I have so much more knowledge than them about a variety of topics which allows me to draw connections and corellations out of absolute thin air.

I also deliberately take opposing views.

And knowing what the other person's feelings during an argument is especially fun .. it's like I have their remote control in my hands and I can increase decrease their volume seemingly at will. Change channels and turn them on/off ... there's a definite rush of adrenaline as soon as someone loses emotional control - and if I want, I can really twist them around in their own thoughts that they end up questioning their core beliefs and who they are.

The people I especially dislike, I manipulate and torture at will - and all it takes is a simple statement .. "Ha, you know, you're a fool because you're hopelessly un-enlightened about this subject. Go get an education before you can argue with me."

... yes, there is a monster inside all of us ... even the seemingly nicest ones.

^^^ I don't do it anymore. I've turned over a new leaf.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts