Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I was thinking the other day how much our parents made us who we are today.
I know the Nature vs Nurture - how heredity and environment shape who we are. More interested about the nurture part this time, I know we inheritance from our parents.....

My question is : how are your parents, what kind of personality have parents of ENFJ kids if you know, how do you comunicate, do they have a distinct way of raising you, what makes you smile when you think of them or not?

:happy:
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Well let's see my parents divorced when I was 2. My mom is clearly ENFJ and my Dad is clearly ISTP. When my parents divorced my mom moved to the city so she could be around people, socialize and be close to everything. My Dad however preferred the country life and away from people and basically just worked on his cars and mowed the grass. My dad worked even on his days off and never stopped working even on vacations. Mom was travel and also go go go. Humor-wise I get my Dad's sense of humor. He can be downright the funniest man I have ever met and best guy to party with but it was rare.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My father is an ENTP and my mother is probably an INFJ, ISFJ, ISFP or INFP.

My father and I were always close...he would push me to try new things, did a lot to build my confidence. He had intellectual debates and discussions with me all the time, taught me a lot about Foreign Cultures (he wanted to be a Foreign Service Officer) and always always always encouraged me. He didn't treat me different just because I was female and he's big time into women's equality issues so I am very fortunate to have the father I have. We get each other at a deeper level which is very cool. I am very much my father's daughter.

My mother and I clashed a lot growing up mainly because she was super-stressed out balancing work and home life I think. She's a bit socially conservative as well which was tough at times to deal with. The reasons she was always stressed out I really didn't understand until I became an adult. I think her choices in life were kinda limited growing up in a socially conservative Irish-American family. She had enrolled me in an all Girls Catholic School at one point so I had to battle her for four years to allow me to enroll in a different school and finally got my way. She didn't believe me how bad it was there until she witnessed it with her own eyes and she finally allowed me to leave. I often felt she didn't believe me on certain issues in life and I felt it always took a lot of convincing to inform her what was best for me. Her brothers had been favored over her most of her life and I had so many more freedoms and opportunities career-wise than she ever did. However, she is an incredibly sweet generous person, very sensitive and so giving to everyone around her and also self-sacrificing. I am also fortunate to have her as a mother.

Both of my parents gave me the best education money could buy, encouraged intellectual discussion and debate in the house, and provided me with all my needs and most of my wants. I was lucky. I had thought everyone's family was like my mine growing up and it was much later I came to appreciate them more. Not everyone was as fortunate.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well.. my parents aren't like other parents..
First of all! My parents are AMAZING people.. just made a few mistakes. i think my mom is.. ughh.. she took the test awhile ago.. i can't remember. but my dad is idk.. lol!

But... my parent's just got a divorce like a year ago..
They both found new boyfriends and girlfriends rather quickly.. it was hard.

My dad- He is a workaholic.. i think he's a type that ignores stress by working..even though it creates stress.. me and him have always been extremely tight.. he's shown me wrong from right.. but sense he works alot.. i never really talk to him anymore and i'm doing tons as possible to build our relationship..his girlfriend moved him only a few months after the divorce.. she's a nice lady.. my dad just wants to help people.. he's not drinking as much anymore.. he's made a few mistakes but overall.. i love him and he's awesome.

My mom- My mom.. she is also a great person.. but this might sound mean.. but she lies alot:( so i never know when she is exactly is telling the truth.. she's been through hard times.. we all have.. idk. she's cool.
she tries the best she can so idk.. ha.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My parents are interesting and very different. Both are successful, bright entrepreneurs. My dad is a very charismatic and unpredictable IXXJ. My mother is a bossy yet sweet as pie ENTJ.

I’ve often wondered if other ENFJ’s have a charismatic and/or unpredictable parent? It seems having one or both influences could mold you into an ENFJ. If it wasn't for my dad I think I'd be an ENTJ.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, lessee....

They're both AWESOME... I'm pretty similar to Mom, and pretty different from Dad, but he kind of tempers us (Mom and me) and our crazies, so I like to think that I've inherited the best of both worlds.

Wouldn't trade them for anything. I think Mom may be an ENFJ... Definitely an E anyway.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My parents are awesome. I am lucky that they are still happily married and that I have a great relationship with them.

My mother is an INFP and probably the nicest person I have ever met.

My father is an ENTP (I thought ENTJ- but recently he told me he had taken the test and is ENTP) and is charismatic, optimistic, friendly and accomplished. He is one of the most even-tempered, good-natured people you would ever meet.

My parents met in law school and were both lawyers. My mother then became a stay-at-home-mum and my dad went into business... he was a CEO for a decade or so and now he sits on various boards and dabbles in various business ventures.

My father was so busy working when I was a kid that he wasn't around much- travelled 200 days of the year some years... I always wanted more time from him. As he's aged, he wants to hang out more though- so I have a closer relationship with him now. My mother bent over backwards to compensate for my dad's absences and was extremely involved (maybe even a little coddling). I adore my mother. She is the sweetest.
:happy:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
my mom was not fit to raise children, or thats what my grandparents thought, so they raised me instead of my mother, and i would like to just say that was the best thing that ever happened to me, because of my grandparents, who taught me early in life, i always stayed ahead of the class, and even though they didnt have alot of money they tried to give me everything i wanted.
I will admit that i was raised old fashioned, im different from many of the kids my age, i love old people and i respect them greatly,
however my as i got older, i started drifting away from my grandparents, who are very conservative, right now i no longer live with them, but my main focus on gainging success is to take care of them. i need to make enough money to ensure they are being taken care of.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
My mum is ESFP and my dad was ISTJ. They had a beautiful love story of 43 years, until dad passed away almost 9 weeks ago. I had a great upbringing. I was the stereotypical "daddy's little girl", which I loved. My mum is the kind of person who hugs you and takes the breath out of you even though she is a little 5'2 petite woman. She is very open and loves people. She can tend to be a bit of a drama queen sometimes and a hypocondriac too (very frustrating). My dad was more reserved but also liked people and gained a reputation for being a very loyal friend. I liked that dad always seemed to know the answer to any questions I asked, he was good with general knowledge and liked quoting the odd line of Shakespeare to me. He was very dry witted and could be quite sarcastic, which mum says I inherited from him. He inspired my mind and I guess mum inspired my heart, so I got a good balance from them both.

I guess I have a fair amount of both of them in my personality.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My question is : how are your parents, what kind of personality have parents of ENFJ kids if you know, how do you comunicate, do they have a distinct way of raising you, what makes you smile when you think of them or not?

Thank you.
My mom is an ESTJ, very rigid but she has sacrificed everything to see her family move forward.. My dad is an ISTP and we usually don't talk. We are too different; our FE function doesn't work with them..

·
Registered
19 Posts
My mom is loving, shy, sweet and unfortunately a bit of a doormat - so probably a INFP or something.

I envy all of you who have decent fathers. My dad is an asshole, sorry but that's the kindest description I can think of. He is manipulative, evil, a liar and a terrible father and an even worser husband. The only reason my mom stayed with him for as long as she did was because she's bit of a push over. Thank goodness they're divorced.

I don't know which MBTI he is but just think of the most uncaring personality and that will be him.

I think that's how my ENFJ personality came about. He left us with nothing and treated my mom like crap, so being the eldest, I took care of my mom and siblings. That's how I ended up with a strong nurturing side. And because mom can be a bit of a doormat, people like to take advantage of her so I always have to defend her. That's where I got my defensive streak to protect the weak from. I like sticking up for friends, the underdog, the less privileged, the victims.

My dad use to piss me off all the time by blaming me for things I didn't do, try pick fights with me, rip me off, steal things from me, lie, and abandon my siblings. That's where I got my explosive anger from. And because of him, I have a mega sense of justice instilled in me. He is so evil that I can't stand being anything like him.

I don't talk to my dad, the less I see and hear of him, the happier and better my life is.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Whelp, my mom is probably an ISFJ, and my dad is a definite ESTJ.
Mom is easier to relate to, because of the feeling function. Still, she has a very pronounce eye for detail, and gets stressed out very easily (which leads to me getting stressed, yay empathy!)
Dad is my polar opposite. He's probably got the most pronounced Te function I've ever seen, and is very rational. He also has quite an eye for detail. To top it off, he must always be right...
I love my parents dearly, but I honestly don't think I'm very much like either one. :crazy:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My parents are both ENTJ's. My mother is sweet, fiesty and bossy. She naturally takes over everything. My step-father is sweet, logical and laid back. They argue about current events a lot and have no idea how to respond to feelings. They're cute. :)

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
My parents are both ENTJ's. My mother is sweet, fiesty and bossy. She naturally takes over everything. My step-father is sweet, logical and laid back. They argue about current events a lot and have no idea how to respond to feelings. They're cute. :)
Are all ENTJs bossy and take-over types? Those attitudes usually get one of two reactions from me... I either retreat into my shell and wait for them to go away or shut up, or I else I will rebel and decide I don't like anything they suggest and do the opposite.

Reactions: Izabella

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
They argue about current events a lot
Once I was sat in the back of a care of this couple, who had this huge debate over a date that soimething happened. No it wasn't some current events thing, just a date they did something. For crying out loud! I wanted to shout out "Who gives a shit anyway?!!!!!!" but instead I laughed quietly and told them how amusing they were.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Mom: ISTJ and enneagram 9w8.
Dad: INTJ and enneagram 8w7.

They love one each other, but they have had tough fights. My dad has a short temper, he's very visceral and somewhat uncaring of his health. He never likes to be told what to do, as well as he doesn't play the role of a loving husband or father. He isn't emotionally expressive. However, he's very intelligent, efficient and a very stimulating company to have. He's very responsable with his duties and critical but supportive of your wishes and ideas.

My mom is the most emotionally caring in the family even though she's an ISTJ. She is always listening, preoccupied and always try to give solutions to everything. She's practical even though she doesn't feel like that. She likes everything solved in a reasonable and calm way, but she is firm and strict when necessary. On the bad side, she's very nitpicking and obssesed with order and control. She has a long temper, but when angry she is quite intimidating. She is more sensitive and traditional than my father, but she is wise in her actions.

My mom and dad are like a teacher-student relationship. Both of them are constantly correcting one each other, whether be on my dad's temper or my mom's nitpicking attitude, they are always complimenting. They are always caring for me too, my mom being supportive and listening while my father has an intellectually stimulating presence as well as a concern for my development. Both are the breadwinners. Most of their problems come to my dad's visceral anger and my mom's dislike of conflict. They end up discussing hard and showing up their toughest sides, and it's always for little insignificant stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My father is an INFJ.. and Ofcourse I smile when I think about them :proud:!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts